Eye Opening Sports news (49ers About to move out of SF)[MERGED][X2] (1 Viewer)

Doesn't really seem like a big deal, to me. They're moving to a suburb of San Fran. That'd be like the State building a new stadium in Metairie. They'd still be the New Orleans Saints.

non story..

York said the team would not change its name under any circumstances.

"Nothing will persuade us to change the name of the San Francisco 49ers, one of the most storied brands in the world of sports," he said.

The 49ers headquarters and training facility are currently based in Santa Clara, located about 30 miles south of San Francisco.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2654743&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

this doesn't help us or anyone else at all.

they're just moving to the san fran 'burbs. they'll still be the san fran 49ers. and LA will still want a new team. 2 of them.

I'm a New Orleans boy now in San Fran area. The real issue is the voters haven't passed the initiatives to build a new stadium. They don't think it's as important a thing to put money on as is the other aspects of running a city and the 49ers are an icon but it's reasoned they don't bring as much money in overall as would be going out to finance the new stadium. What used to be called Candlestick Park where the Niners play is a classic old stadium but definitely a museum piece. The seats in some sections have big beams in themiddle of seating sections that you have to stand up and look around at time to see the field... I beleive those "beam" seats were added later and are often given away to charities, and to send underpriveledged kids to NFL games. I think New Orleans made a good choice to simply refurbish the dome. Maybe at some other point my assessment will change, but the city has alot of other infrastructure to fix now. Cities are starting to get priorities straight in my book.

30 miles away is not really that big a deal. The fans still have access to the team. It's not like moving across the country or a couple hundred miles away. With the costs of land and everything within San Fran, it makes since to move out of the city. Would we care if they built the Sants a new stadium 30 miles from where the dome is now?

They are only leaving the Bay area, not San Francisco. They will still be called the San Francisco 49'ers as well.

Wow, the 49ers of all teams. That'd be akin to the Cowgirls moving down to Waco. Never thought I'd see the 49ers in this conversation.

More like the Cowgirls moving to Arlington (20 miles west), which they are doing in 3 years.

It won't make that much of a difference as they are still in the Bay area and will keep the name. A sllight inconvenience to the fans located in the city.(A short drive)

Have we all forgotten...I remember Steve Perry calling a news conference saying that Benson broke off negotiations with the state and had planned to move to the gulf coast or some ridiculous place.

Soon after that Foster gave the Saints a great deal to stay and everyone was friends again.

The fact that he stated that he is breaking off negotiations is part of the negotiations. This is not done yet.

people... Santa Clara is not far from San Francisco. It'd be like the Saints moving to La Place. Boo friggin hoo.

Exactly, I guess the measure didn't pass yesterday for the stadium. SR.com people please don't freak out about this. Candlestick is an absolute joke. It is located in one of the windiest places in the Bay area. They should have never have built that stadium right there, everyone in the Bay area knows it.

This may also be a sign of the changing demographics in the Bay Area. San Jose is a significantly larger city than San Francisco (although the two cities are nothing alike and San Francisco feels like a bigger city).

Candlestick has been an absolute joke for a long, long time. It's a baseball field, plain and simple. Even after the upgrades to make it 3Com Park at Candlestick Point, it's still a baseball field and a marginal football field.

virtual.jpg

if they're located in the suburbs they can still use the san fran name i believe.

i was thinking the same thing, would probably be the same if the Saints moved to metairie or kenner..they would still be the NO saints

The San Francisco 49ers ended negotiations with the city about building a new stadium Wednesday and have turned their focus to the Bay Area suburb of Santa Clara.

Kinda like a headline.........Saints move to Metarie. Nothing to write about almost.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom