First Captain Marvel trailer released - Dec 3 Trailer Update (1 Viewer)

Ridiculous. What needs to be improved upon? The story needs to end. This origin story needs to be told before it ends so you're not asking who this omnipotent Mary Sue was that showed up and kicked arse at a level needed to defeat a being like Thanos wielding a weapon as powerful as the Infinity Gauntlet.

The goal isn't improve if improvement is needed. Let's not confuse the MCU with low quality cinema that DC has been vomiting.

Well, a quick thought. Isn't the gauntlet all shot to hell or something after he did the snap? I mean, I'm thinking the 'snap' was supposed to be a one time thing, so I'm curious as to the state and usability of the gauntlet. are the stones intact, did they get separated again after the snap? Curiosity is killing me. :hihi:

Well, a quick thought. Isn't the gauntlet all shot to hell or something after he did the snap? I mean, I'm thinking the 'snap' was supposed to be a one time thing, so I'm curious as to the state and usability of the gauntlet. are the stones intact, did they get separated again after the snap? Curiosity is killing me. :hihi:
It's usable enough for him to use the space stone to portal away after he snapped his fingers...

Just got back from the theater. It was ok. Not great, but not bad. My opinion might change after another viewing. I've always had a bias against Danvers in the comics, but I gave it a fair shot and it wasn't bad.

I liked it. The commericals/trailers kind of made Carol seem both unlikeable and overpowered, and I was pleased to see that she was both cooler and more balanced than I thought she would be (just going off the trailers). The theater I saw it at was rolling a bunch of different videos before the feature, and one of the clips was from Avengers Assemble (???), a cartoon from Disney XD. In the clip, Captain Marvel was very powerful, supremely confident, and sort of wise cracked continuously. I guess the joking/teasing thing is part of Carol Danver's nature. I think that Larson's super deadpan delivery works way better in the movie than it does in the trailers. RDJ cracks jokes all the time on screen too, it's just that they're delivered with an arch twinkle of the eye. I like the overall feel of the movie, and I thought that they got real nice performances from
Fury, Carol, and the Skrull guy -- Talos?

I don’t want to go too much into anything for people who won’t see it ASAP, but I liked Larson. I’m only non-spoilers for that because I’ve seen random complaints.

It’s not solidly in my top 5, but it’s around there. I reserve the right to rate again after another watch (I have this weird thing where I don’t like things as much on first watch). I liked the dry snark, and it had just enough emotional levity. And those opening credits. Onions. Also Goose. “Last time I trusted someone, this happened.”

I've heard from two right-leaning friends that they're not seeing Captain Marvel and are instead going to see Alita today. So I looked around and there really is some sort of protest for people offended by Brie Larson to see Alita instead. What a strange battle line to draw up.

I'll just take my review from Facebook and post here:

Act 1 and 2 were uneven but Act 3 made up for it. I hate to say it but I think my fears of Brie Larson in the role were accurate. She’s just not very believable to me. It’s like Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique. Great actress, but just not the right actress for the role.

It won’t be one I’ll watch over and over, but it’s worth an evening in the theater and if you’re an MCU fan it’s a must-see because it covers some of the lore and sets up Endgame.

I hate to say it but I think my fears of Brie Larson in the role were accurate. She’s just not very believable to me.

Perception's a weird thing. I actually liked her snark and had no problems with her in the role. (Not aruging the point, just making an observation)

Perception's a weird thing. I actually liked her snark and had no problems with her in the role. (Not aruging the point, just making an observation)

My issue is the same as my issue with Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique. The Carol Danvers character is a combat-trained soldier, fighter pilot, and general badass. She should have some edge in her. Brie is a fantastic actress, but she can't hide this seeming innocence that the character doesn't need and shouldn't have. It's the tone of voice and body language. She also moves a little awkward for a combat veteran because she's not very athletic herself. I know those are nitpicky but they are the kind of things that pull you out. Not every actor or actress, even great ones, fit every role.

I would have loved to have seen Teresa Palmer, Katheryn Winnick or even Emily Blunt in the role. They all have the natural edge and athleticism I think the role needed.

All that said I still think it was a good movie, I just think it would have been better with a number of other actresses in the role.

not being a big marvel fan growing up, i was interested to see this because of her, um, outfit.

from a non-marvel-comic-nerd perspective, it was everything i expected it to be. very enjoyable, though not one you want to rewatch.

seeing it in the AM tomorrow, so..bye. haha.

not being a big marvel fan growing up, i was interested to see this because of her, um, outfit.

from a non-marvel-comic-nerd perspective, it was everything i expected it to be. very enjoyable, though not one you want to rewatch.

One can only imagine if they would've used the Ms. Marvel rendition.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom