Foo Fighters suck, change my mind. (1 Viewer)

Marriage is punishment for shoplifting in some countries.

How is Nirvana criminally overratred?

The Foo Fighters are rated as the top rock band by many right now, and you think Nirvana is overrated?!?! Not sure how the Foo Fighters belong in the top 300 of rock bands, let alone rated as the top rock band currently.

I think this thread has validity, but maybe that's why music, movies, and television are so bad, many people just have low standards, and will watch and listen to anything. We are probably in the lowest point in human history, no other generation would accept such horrid trash for entertainment.

I think you just say things that make you feel good, but really have no basis.

Because they're not that good of a band. They're fine. They don't deserve anywhere even remotely near the praise they get. Sure they're the premier grunge band but that aint saying much. Talk about an inconsequential flash in the pan genre.

Grunge was a genre for its time and its place, but that's where it should stay. I mean what other truly meaningful impact on music did grunge have other than being the spiritual predeccesor to 2000's butt rock? The hollow shell of rock music that is post-grunge that we all had to suffer through and really haven't recovered from since. Yea ya know all those bands that sound like something Trey Parker created as a joke? That's the legacy grunge left. Bleck.

I think it's fair to assume you're Gen X? I totally understand why you feel this way about them but no one outside of that specific period of time gives a sheet about grunge. Nirvana's ok, I don't hate Nirvana, but we need to stop pretending like they're some transcendent legendary band.

As for the "lowest point in human history" that really just sounds like an "Old Man Yells At Cloud" situation. Big "back in MY day!" energy. Huge "get off my lawn" vibes. There's tons of good music, TV, movies, art out there. Like every other period in time, the popular stuff is rarely the good stuff, but it's always out there.

Because they're not that good of a band. They're fine. They don't deserve anywhere even remotely near the praise they get. Sure they're the premier grunge band but that aint saying much. Talk about an inconsequential flash in the pan genre.

Grunge was a genre for its time and its place, but that's where it should stay. I mean what other truly meaningful impact on music did grunge have other than being the spiritual predeccesor to 2000's butt rock? The hollow shell of rock music that is post-grunge that we all had to suffer through and really haven't recovered from since. Yea ya know all those bands that sound like something Trey Parker created as a joke? That's the legacy grunge left. Bleck.

I think it's fair to assume you're Gen X? I totally understand why you feel this way about them but no one outside of that specific period of time gives a sheet about grunge. Nirvana's ok, I don't hate Nirvana, but we need to stop pretending like they're some transcendent legendary band.

As for the "lowest point in human history" that really just sounds like an "Old Man Yells At Cloud" situation. Big "back in MY day!" energy. Huge "get off my lawn" vibes. There's tons of good music, TV, movies, art out there. Like every other period in time, the popular stuff is rarely the good stuff, but it's always out there.

Summarizing your first paragraph: There are not a good band, because they are fine, don't deserve as much praise, they are the premier grunge band ( I would argue punk band), and they are a flash in the pan genre. (Kurt Cobain said, " I'm a punk rocker".)

My response:

Rolling Stone magazine rated Nirvana higher, than Eric Clapton live performance.

Summarizing your second paragraph: Nirvana's music had it's time and place, but should stay in the past. Once Nirvana's music ended, really bad music filled it's void, such as post grunge bands like the Foo Fighters and Nickelback. It's Nirvana's fault for the crap music, that came after.

My response: Nirvana pretty much ended Michael Jackson and Metallica's dominance in the music world. Should Michael Jackson and Metallica take credit for Nirvana's rise to fame? Your reasoning is fatally wrong, and misguided in my opinion.

Summarizing your third paragraph: Your saying, it's my age that makes me like Nirvana, but no one outside my generation cares about Nirvana. Nirvana is o.k., but they shouldn't be set next to the Beatles, or Rolling Stones.

My response: Rolling Stone magazine rated Nirvana higher than...

Neil Young (1993), Alicia Keys (2005), Hole (1995), Mariah Carey (1992), LL Cool J / A Tribe Called Quest / De La Soul (1991), Eric Clapton (1992), Alice in Chains (1996), Jay-Z (2001), Pearl Jam (1992).

Nirvana is rated as 25th best band of all time by ranker, regardless of generation. Nirvana was rated higher than John Lennon and Iron Maiden. That might go against everything you just said in the paragraph, it's only the general population.

Nirvana's Nevermind album is rated by Rolling Stone Magazine as the 6th best album of all time. Right behind Abbey Roads by The Beatles.

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-rock-bands-of-all-time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summarizing your final paragraph: You discredit my opintions, due to my age.
"Like every other period in time, the popular stuff is rarely the good stuff, but it's always out there."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response: If you can't come up with a reasonable response, you just make a generalization. I disagree, I think most of the popular stuff pre-1995, had incredible music that was popular, and had many great artist for every generation prior to the year 2000. After the year 1999, music just got to over produced, with less talent in the grand scheme of things. Yes, there are some hidden gems here and there, but we have been in a drought for many years in the entertainment industry, including music.

Maybe computers and technology, killed the entertainment industry?!?! To simply this, how many people think System of the Down or Dream Theater is better, than early Pantera and Metallica??? Or who thinks Blink 182 or Foo Fighters is better, than The Ramones and Nirvana?

You can believe what you want though, your just wrong in my opinion. It's o.k..

Summarizing your first paragraph: There are not a good band, because they are fine, don't deserve as much praise, they are the premier grunge band ( I would argue punk band), and they are a flash in the pan genre. (Kurt Cobain said, " I'm a punk rocker".)

My response:

Rolling Stone magazine rated Nirvana higher, than Eric Clapton live performance.

Summarizing your second paragraph: Nirvana's music had it's time and place, but should stay in the past. Once Nirvana's music ended, really bad music filled it's void, such as post grunge bands like the Foo Fighters and Nickelback. It's Nirvana's fault for the crap music, that came after.

My response: Nirvana pretty much ended Michael Jackson and Metallica's dominance in the music world. Should Michael Jackson and Metallica take credit for Nirvana's rise to fame? Your reasoning is fatally wrong, and misguided in my opinion.

Summarizing your third paragraph: Your saying, it's my age that makes me like Nirvana, but no one outside my generation cares about Nirvana. Nirvana is o.k., but they shouldn't be set next to the Beatles, or Rolling Stones.

My response: Rolling Stone magazine rated Nirvana higher than...

Neil Young (1993), Alicia Keys (2005), Hole (1995), Mariah Carey (1992), LL Cool J / A Tribe Called Quest / De La Soul (1991), Eric Clapton (1992), Alice in Chains (1996), Jay-Z (2001), Pearl Jam (1992).

Nirvana is rated as 25th best band of all time by ranker, regardless of generation. Nirvana was rated higher than John Lennon and Iron Maiden. That might go against everything you just said in the paragraph, it's only the general population.

Nirvana's Nevermind album is rated by Rolling Stone Magazine as the 6th best album of all time. Right behind Abbey Roads by The Beatles.

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-rock-bands-of-all-time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summarizing your final paragraph: You discredit my opintions, due to my age.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response: If you can't come up with a reasonable response, you just make a generalization. I disagree, I think most of the popular stuff pre-1995, had incredible music that was popular, and had many great artist for every generation prior to the year 2000. After the year 1999, music just got to over produced, with less talent in the grand scheme of things. Yes, there are some hidden gems here and there, but we have been in a drought for many years in the entertainment industry, including music.

Maybe computers and technology, killed the entertainment industry?!?! To simply this, how many people think System of the Down or Dream Theater is better, than early Pantera and Metallica??? Or who thinks Blink 182 or Foo Fighters is better, than The Ramones and Nirvana?

You can believe what you want though, your just wrong in my opinion. It's o.k..
I can't imagine still thinking Rolling Stone is relevent. Rolling Stone is also a relic of the past that no one takes seriously. They put Missy Elliot's Get Your Freak On at number 8 greatest song of all time lmao.

"If you can't come up with a reasonable response, you just make up a generalization"

*Immediately follows up with generalization*

And you're wrong in my opinion. And pretty much everyone else in this thread's opinion. It's ok.

EDIT: To your point about MJ/Metallica "taking credit" for Nirvana's rise. No, those types of music have little influence or overlap with grunge. With the possible execption of Metallica just because they're both in the broader rock genre. But post-grunge literally was influenced by grunge. Hence post-grunge. I like to call it was it truly is, 2000's butt rock.

Last edited:
I love Alice in Chains.. Pearl Jam and Nirvana are fine too.. but objectively I think Soundgarden was probably the best thing to come out of the Seattle Sound/grunge scene.

I love Alice in Chains.. Pearl Jam and Nirvana are fine too.. but objectively I think Soundgarden was probably the best thing to come out of the Seattle Sound/grunge scene.

You like Alice in Chains? Come on! Tell me another story. lol

I would give the nod to Alice in Chains over Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam has some pretty songs, but they seem so empty, and soul less. Soundgarden would be like Black Sabbath 2.0 in my book. They have some banging songs, but not all their songs are gems.

The only truly bad song by Nirvana is Marigold, written by Dave Growl.

If the grunge era gifted the music world with anything it was Chris Cornell. Soundgarden slapped pretty damn good, can't lie. Also Audioslave was imo a rare supergroup that actually kicked arse and not some cash grab or one-off side project. RIP to a real one.

You like Alice in Chains? Come on! Tell me another story. lol

I would give the nod to Alice in Chains over Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam has some pretty songs, but they seem so empty, and soul less. Soundgarden would be like Black Sabbath 2.0 in my book. They have some banging songs, but not all their songs are gems.

The only truly bad song by Nirvana is Marigold, written by Dave Growl.
I think Soundgarden is a bit of a mix of Zeppelin and Sabbath.

If the grunge era gifted the music world with anything it was Chris Cornell. Soundgarden slapped pretty damn good, can't lie. Also Audioslave was imo a rare supergroup that actually kicked arse and not some cash grab or one-off side project. RIP to a real one.
Imo Cornell was probably the most talented person to come out of that era. Powerhouse singer, very good lyricist, and underrated as a guitarist. He was doing acoustic shows with just him and a guitar more towards the end there and he was just great.

The Soundgarden album King Animal which came out around 2010 fits right in with the rest of their discography.

I think Soundgarden is a bit of a mix of Zeppelin and Sabbath.

Imo Cornell was probably the most talented person to come out of that era. Powerhouse singer, very good lyricist, and underrated as a guitarist. He was doing acoustic shows with just him and a guitar more towards the end there and he was just great.

The Soundgarden album King Animal which came out around 2010 fits right in with the rest of their discography.

To me Soundgarden is more metal, than it is punk rock. If your more inclined to heavy metal, than you will like Soundgarden the most, as far as the Seattle sound.

I would say, The Melvins were the pioneers of grunge, Nirvana perfected it by adding more punk, melody, and alternative influences. The Melvins are the king of sludge rock, lacking the sweet melodies to make them more widely liked. Soundgarden are a pop band compared to The Melvins.

Same here. I saw them a few years ango annd it was easily one of the best concerts I’ve been to. And Dave Grohl is 5 times the musician than Kurt Cobain. And I liked Nirvana.
He really is a great musician. Listen to Everlong's drum part and try to tell me with a straight face he isn't an incredible drummer. Any drummer will tell you how good he is. Pretty good guitarist as well for that not being his primary instrument. Certianly better than ol sloppy strumming He Who Shall Not Be Named. Whether or not you like Foo Fighters it's kinda hard to deny he's a highly regarded musician by many, some also very highly regarded, musicians. And I've also heard that Foo Fighters put on a hell of a show.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom