Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore... (3 Viewers)

I have been thinking about how they might have gotten it shut down in time. My guess would be the port has access to the emergency radio that sent out a broadcast to all emergency services which police or highway officials at the ends of the bridge heard and shut it down.

This article states they were able to get the signals to the right people to get the traffic off the bridge. What a miracle.

Additionally at this point they have 3 people recovered, 1 is in the hospital, 1 body, and I believe 6 still missing (but not sure if that counts the ones already found or not).

A ship hit the bridge. According to NPR rescue personnel are looking for at least 7 people in the water. The only saving grace is that traffic was light at the time.

The bridge is a main crossing on the Baltimore Beltway (I-695) over the Patapsco River. Traffic is going to be a nightmare until the bridge is rebuilt.

The Patapsco runs right into Baltimore harbor and the Port of Baltimore terminal. Until the bridge wreckage is removed ships will not be able to access the port. The Port of Baltimore handled more than 52 million tons of international cargo worth over $80 billion last year — the ninth-highest total among US ports, according to CNN

This is terrible on many levels :(
Glad you're ok - same here.

Cnn just aired a recording of someone telling officials at the bridge to shut it down. I didn't catch who was broadcasting that order.

I've been on that bridge maybe a few times. Is it a toll bridge? They seem unable to tell what cars were still on the bridge.
Yes, it's a toll bridge, and electronic tolls only, so they can conceivably determine all the vehicles on the bridge at the time.

Cnn just aired a recording of someone telling officials at the bridge to shut it down. I didn't catch who was broadcasting that order.
I heard that the crew radioed that they had lost power and were drifting, and the officials immediately tried to shut the bridge down.

Heard a shipping expert say that the port handled 850,000 cars and light trucks last year. It's likely going to take weeks to re-open that channel so saying 1 month that's just shy of 71,000 that will have to be brought into other ports.

Heard a shipping expert say that the port handled 850,000 cars and light trucks last year. It's likely going to take weeks to re-open that channel so saying 1 month that's just shy of 71,000 that will have to be brought into other ports.
That doesn't sound too bad, but idk the reality of it. I guess it's better to have cars slowed than crops tho.

Search and rescue has ended and has reverted to recovery operation of the missing. It was said earlier by diving experts and doctors that water temps in the mid 40's to 50 will cause death in 2-3 hrs. I believe they did all they could to try to find and possibly rescue any survivors. They also just said that the 2 early people found are the only ones found and that there are still 6 missing. It seems the report posted earlier was incorrect in saying a body was found. That is not the fault of the poster but on the news organization making the report.

Anyone know if the ships crew have said what happened?

All I’ve heard reported is that they said they lost power (and I don’t think the crew said it, there’s a recording of that call) and they were all okay and that’s it

They all have to have been interviewed by now

Last edited:
not sure which one is a more stupid statement, That he passed out because of the vaccine, or that there are power switches that completely shut down the whole ship that easily aaccessible with no covers..lol I know nothing about big ships like that, but if i was a betting man, i would bet there is nothing as simple pushing a button or two that completly shuts the ship down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom