Giant Movies That You Never Hear About Anymore (1 Viewer)

Also in the late 80s, there was this Australian guy named Yahoo Serious. He made this movie called Young Einstein, who seemed to be all over MTV for a period of time, then the Berlin wall fell and he dropped off the face of the Earth.

Along these lines, Crocodile Dundee was a legit cultural phenomenon.. It spawned sequel(s), aNd it’s stars Paul Hogan and Linda Kozlowski were all over the tabloids.. Today, it seems to have been relegated to the dustbin of history, sort of an artifact only remembered (if at all) for the lines ‘Throw anotha shrimp on the bawbi’ and ‘THAT’S a knife.’

Also in the late 80s, there was this Australian guy named Yahoo Serious. He made this movie called Young Einstein, who seemed to be all over MTV for a period of time, then the Berlin wall fell and he dropped off the face of the Earth.

Yahoo Serious is a bit of a sad story unfortunately. He has popped up a few times since but his films are few and far between. I vaguely remember “Mr Accident” from 2000 but that’s about it. He recently surfaced in the news after being evicted from a rental property:https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...after-falling-27000-behind-in-rental-payments

Along these lines, Crocodile Dundee was a legit cultural phenomenon.. It spawned sequel(s), aNd it’s stars Paul Hogan and Linda Kozlowski were all over the tabloids.. Today, it seems to have been relegated to the dustbin of history, sort of an artifact only remembered (if at all) for the lines ‘Throw anotha shrimp on the bawbi’ and ‘THAT’S a knife.’

Paul Hogan was huge here well before his portrayal of Mick Dundee (in fact, the “shrimp on the barbie” line was from a Tourism Australia campaign that was first launched in the US two years before the Crocodile Dundee movie).

An enduring depiction of Australia that has very little basis in reality: nobody here uses the word “shrimp” and until the age of about 12 I only knew the word as a colloquialism for a short person. A “shrimp” is a prawn. And don’t get me started on Outback Steakhouse. Literally none of that stuff bears any resemblance to anything here.

Makes me wonder how badly we get local adaptations of different types of international cuisine wrong. I’m pretty sure the beef vindaloo takeaway I get from Bombay Nights up the road isn’t the real article given the reverence for cows.

On the topic of Australian movies/actors, and drawing the above themes together, I don’t know how big it was internationally, but Babe (the movie about a talking pig) was absolutely huge here.

Not sure if it would qualify as "Blockbuster" but all those Pauly Shore movies in the early 90s - Encino Man, Son-In-Law, Class Act, etc.

Pauly Shore was in Class Act?????

Oh yeah, there he is...uncredited scene. I wouldn't really call that a Pauly Shore movie.

Yahoo Serious is a bit of a sad story unfortunately. He has popped up a few times since but his films are few and far between. I vaguely remember “Mr Accident” from 2000 but that’s about it. He recently surfaced in the news after being evicted from a rental property:https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...after-falling-27000-behind-in-rental-payments

Paul Hogan was huge here well before his portrayal of Mick Dundee (in fact, the “shrimp on the barbie” line was from a Tourism Australia campaign that was first launched in the US two years before the Crocodile Dundee movie).

An enduring depiction of Australia that has very little basis in reality: nobody here uses the word “shrimp” and until the age of about 12 I only knew the word as a colloquialism for a short person. A “shrimp” is a prawn. And don’t get me started on Outback Steakhouse. Literally none of that stuff bears any resemblance to anything here.

Makes me wonder how badly we get local adaptations of different types of international cuisine wrong. I’m pretty sure the beef vindaloo takeaway I get from Bombay Nights up the road isn’t the real article given the reverence for cows.

On the topic of Australian movies/actors, and drawing the above themes together, I don’t know how big it was internationally, but Babe (the movie about a talking pig) was absolutely huge here.

You would completely understand how New Orleanians felt about the movie "The Big Easy."

The Knights Templars are depicted a bit, unfairly, IMHO. They weren’t these completely irrational, warlike zealots the movie depicts them as. Templars we’re expert Medieval archeologists, merchants and soldiers who’s primary job was to help accompany Christian pilgrims on the way to the Holy Land. The Crusader Wars didn’t end with the capture of Jerusalem, BTW. The movie ends with Balian, the French iron smith, being approached by Richard the Lionheart, asking him to join his Fourth Crusade, which he refused. The Templars, reportedly, discovered the Ark of The Covenant and some Biblical relics after the 1st Crusade and carried them back to Rome, secretly and were paid hush money for their work and their silence, as well.

Saladin was an enlightened, somewhat chivalrous General for his era, to a certain extent. But he was certainly a highly intelligent, Islamic scholar and if some of his fellow soldiers or fellow Muslims couldn’t grasp his higher view of Islam, he’d dismiss them outright and keep walking right past them. A bit of a prig, but an enlightened one. He and Richard the Lionheart certainly developed a strong relationship later on after the Fourth Crusade.

Actually, Reynaud was more incompetent and inept as a king and military commander. Psychopathic tendencies? Sure, but Nathan Bedford Forrest was actually a highly successful commander and Confederate guerilla leader. Sure, there was the Ft. Pillows massacre murdering black soldiers after surrendering in 1864 IIRC, but Bedford’s views towards African-Americans during the Civil War and later on as KKK’s first Imperial Wizard during Reconstruction weren’t that uncommon for Civil War or post Civil War Southerners, as despicable and horrific as it was. But Forrest was a capable officer and military leader compared to du Chatillon.
Eva Green’s interesting character was unfairly edited out as King Baldwin’s sister and Balian’s secret lover.

The other issue was Balian of Ibelin was actually present at the Battle of Hattin. He was not exactly captured like Guy and Raymond, but his force which was protecting the rearguard, was surrounded by Saladin's forces. Saladin let him cross the siege lines in return for a promise to leave the Levant. But on his return to Jerusalem, he reneged on the promise after the city leaders begged him to stay and help defend the city. The Siege of Jerusalem was indeed resolved with a negotiated peace after a brief battle. Saladin wanted a certain amount in ransom for the European defenders, who had a period of several weeks to come up with the money. When they could not do this, Balian offered himself in exchange for the rest of the money, but Saladin refused. So there are some elements of truth to what happened, that Balian did at times seem to act quite nobly - although the Templars do get a bad rap in that movie in favor of the Hospitallers.

@zatsnzapps Yewse goin' downey ayshin 'is weekin hon?
Between growing up in the New Orleans area, spending summers in the suburban Atlanta, living in Alabama for a decade, and now living in Maryland for as long as I have, I've been around some pretty interesting regional dialects.

I haven't picked up any of them. :hihi:

Oh, and to answer the question, it's too dang cold to go. :)

Between growing up in the New Orleans area, spending summers in the suburban Atlanta, living in Alabama for a decade, and now living in Maryland for as long as I have, I've been around some pretty interesting regional dialects.

I haven't picked up any of them. :hihi:

Oh, and to answer the question, it's too dang cold to go. :)
This may sound like a quirky, odd question but do you think it’s fair to still consider Maryland “a Southern state” in terms of its regional attitudes, perspectives, maybe not so much political because Md. is a safe blue Democratic state but in terms of its history and any lingering sentiments?

I know Baltimore had some of the worst anti-Union riots early on at the beginning of the Civil War and the state probably would’ve seceded if Lincoln hadn’t arrested pro-Confederate lawmakers and kept them under house arrest for the entirety of the war as well as Baltimore and Maryland was not allowed habeus corpus and the area remained essentially in a semi-martial law state until conflict’s end.

I also know Maryland was a hotbed of Confederate supporters, sympathizers and there were several poorly-conceived plots to kill President Lincoln in the Md. countryside that failed abysmally. The woman who owned the boarding house where Wilks conspiracy plots took shape in Washington D.C. was from Maryland and was a Confederate sympathizer who met clandestinely with like-minded individuals, including Dr. Mudd, the now-infamous rural Md surgeon who worked to try to splinter Booth’s broken leg after jumping down an entire floor of steps and landing awkwardly on the theatre stage at Ford’s Theater, supposedly yelling “Sic Semper Tyrannicus”—thus be the fate of all tyrants in Latin and also Virginia’s state motto.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom