Gout (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the info, Waymer. I'm trying to stay off my feet as much as possible and even had the doctors here give me a couple of days off to try and help but I'm still in pain. I will try what you said and see if it helps. I also have an ace bandage wrapped around my foot so tight that my toes are tingling.:hihi: Thanks again.

No problem, though I should remind you that my advice is from a person who has had a lingering attack now for almost 2 weeks. :hihi:

No problem, though I should remind you that my advice is from a person who has had a lingering attack now for almost 2 weeks. :hihi:

:hihi:

That's okay. It was better info than I got from these quacks here who told me I sprained my ankle after repeatedly telling them that I didn't.:1zhelp:

:hihi:

That's okay. It was better info than I got from these quacks here who told me I sprained my ankle after repeatedly telling them that I didn't.:1zhelp:

Well, actually that's what I thought I did at first. Because I didn't fit the profile for gout, and it wasn't in my big toe which is the more common location. But I've gone to find out that the ankle is fairly common too, and it definitely is not fun.

Well, actually that's what I thought I did at first. Because I didn't fit the profile for gout, and it wasn't in my big toe which is the more common location. But I've gone to find out that the ankle is fairly common too, and it definitely is not fun.

No, it definitely isn't fun. It was just funny because the conversation went a little something like this:

Doc, " You seem to have sprained your ankle.

Me, " No, I didn't. It just started hurting bad."

Doc, "That's not possible."

Me, (facepalm):covri:

http://www.podiatrychannel.com/gout/naturalmedicine.shtml

Achieve and maintain an ideal body weight.
Eat fresh, unrefined, and unprocessed foods. Include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, soy, beans, seeds, nuts, olive oil, and cold-water fish (salmon, tuna, and halibut).
Eat unsweetened cherries (canned, fresh, or frozen). Cherries lower uric acid levels and can prevent gout attack. Blueberries, blackberries, and other deeply pigmented berries are also helpful.

Eliminate purine-containing foods, such as organ meats, shellfish, brewers yeast (beer), bakers yeast (baked goods and bread), anchovies, sardines, herring, mackerel.
Avoid alcohol, animal fats, red meat, poultry, sugar, dairy products, refined foods, fried foods, junk foods, and caffeine.
Drink 50% of body weight in ounces of water daily (e.g., a 150 lb person would drink 75 oz of water).
Supplements

Quercetin—Take 200 to 400 mg daily between meals. Quercetin inhibits uric acid production.
Bromelain—Take 200 to 400 mg daily between meals. This enzyme found in pineapples is anti-inflammatory. For best results, take with quercetin.
Vitamin E—Take 400 IUs daily.
Flaxseed oil—Take 1 tbs daily.

There has been a growing tendency in the treatment of gout to avoid Colchicine and I have been using steriod dosepaks with great success lately. Medrol (methylprednisolone) 4 mg one week dosepaks are very effective as is Indomethacin (NSAID) 50 mg every 8 hours for 4 days then twice a day for 3 days for relieving acute flare-ups. Methylprednisolone acetate IM injections are also very helpful.

Consult your podiatric physician or family doctor before taking any Rx medications!

New help on the horizon:

Takeda Wins U.S. Approval for First New Gout Drug in 40 Years

Leading Asian drugmaker Takeda Pharmaceutical has won approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to sell its febuxostat medication for gout, the first new gout treatment approved since 1966. The drug for controlling excess uric acid in the blood, which can build up in joints or soft tissues, will be marketed under the name Uloric. "This approval is a significant milestone for Takeda," Alan MacKenzie, president of Takeda Pharmaceuticals North America, Inc., said in a statement. "We are pleased to offer a new treatment option to the more than five million Americans who have hyperuricemia associated with gout." Takeda tested the drug against generic allopurinol, the most common prescription for cutting down on uric acid in the blood; doctors have been discouraged from using the highest doses of allopurinol because of concern about the possibility that it can cause rashes or fatal skin reaction.
From the article of the same title
Bloomberg (02/14/09) Matsuyama, Kanoko; Larkin, Catherine

Last edited:
Mild attack today. Slamming water (more than normal) and downed a can of cherries this morning to try and flush it out of my system and keep it from getting to that dreaded point of no return. :covri:

Nothing other to report, but I didn't have anything constructive to post today, and we always seem to gain a new follower or two when this thread is bumped. :hihi:

I've had it on and off this past year for the first time ever.
I pop an Indometacin and I am good to go.
I have tried to watch my diet and sugar intake, but it makes no sense when it pops up.
I almost killed my dog for jumping up on my bed in the middle of the night right onto my big toe. He was lucky I couldn't jump out of bed.

Avoid alcohol, animal fats, red meat, poultry, sugar, dairy products, refined foods, fried foods, junk foods, and caffeine.
Yeah........right.

I figure, gout isnt going to kill me. Am I willing to put up with 2 weeks per year of intense pain to be able to eat steaks, crawfish, and other delicious foods while drinking delicious craft beers? Yes I am.

Last week my doctor agreed to give me a prescription for allipurinol. I haven't felt this good in years. It has allowed me to go back on the Atkns diet and I have lost 20lbs in seven days. This stuff is gold!

I quit taking allipurinol about a year ago, I just didn't feel like going back to the doctor, and I haven't had a bad flare up since, although I know I am just playing with fire. I drink plenty of water, and every now and then get a tiny bit of redness and soreness, but not even enough for a slight limp or anything.

I quit taking allipurinol about a year ago, I just didn't feel like going back to the doctor, and I haven't had a bad flare up since, although I know I am just playing with fire. I drink plenty of water, and every now and then get a tiny bit of redness and soreness, but not even enough for a slight limp or anything.

That doesn't seem so bad. Every joint in my body ached and my ankles and right hand would hurt when rain was near just like with regular arthritis. I didn't realize that it was gout/uric acid that was making me feel like that all of the time but that seems to have been the case.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom