Gout (1 Viewer)

Been pretty good the last few months (knock on wood). How about everyone else?

Same here, actually... thanks for jinxing it. :p

But really, I was just thinking about that the other day "Dang, I've still been eating plenty of seafood and red meat, and drinking alcohol, but no gout since early 09/late 08

I'm still good after that first attack exactly 1 year ago. I've been avoiding mussels, which I'm 99% sure was the culprit.

I'm still good after that first attack exactly 1 year ago. I've been avoiding mussels, which I'm 99% sure was the culprit.

I've tried to pin down the cause of some of my flare-ups, but I haven't been able to do so just yet.

I have satyed pretty well hydrated and haven't seen any more issues.

I was put on 100mg of allopurinol about 4 months ago. I was still feeling it but I never had an acute attack. I went in for a blood test two weeks ago and my uric acid levels were off of the charts. My doc doubled my dose and I had an acute attack about a week later. It only lasted for three days but it was in my right achilles and it really hurt. It was my first attack in about five months. I have found that cold, damp weather brings it on for me. I live in the wrong place. It has been in the 40's - 50's and raining for weeks.

My Dad is a long-time gout sufferer and he was recently (2-3 months?) put on some new med that can draw the little uric acid crystals out of the joints and to the surface of the skin (!!!). He's to the point now where the "deposits" or whatever are just under the surface of the skin; you can feel 'em like little bony lumps. His fingers/hands/feet are far less swollen now, and he says that he feels much better. I'll try to get more info from him on the name of the med, but it seems to be the real deal.

I have been having good success with this new med.

http://www.uloric.com/

I jumped on Uloric this week. My uric acid levels just weren't coming down quite as low as my doc liked, and anytime we increased the dose by 50% my liver functions skewed a bit...so we're trying Uloric now. It's a little higher on my tier level for prescription coverage, but hearing some others have good luck with it is positive. So I'm going to run a few months on it and see how it goes.

Got it for the first time in 98.... doc said it was a combination of the uric acid and my years of weightlifting.....uric acid has been good but that first time was so bad that I have tendon damage in the joint of the big toe that acts up everyh so often....welcome to the brotherhood of the gout suck......

Having taken blood yet to check my levels, but I have to admit I feel much better just being on Uloric. Even on other meds I would still feel a lot of slight stiffness or discomfort in the mornings and throughout some days, but things just seem better so far. Who knows, could essentially be a mental / placebo effect thing, but we'll see for sure once I check my levels.

Have any of you had gout in the shoulder?

I have only had it once to date, and it was in my big toe. But as of last night and most of today, my left shoulder is getting sore. I would have thought I slept on it funny or maybe done something to it, but because it started yesterday and I haven't been working out or anything lately, I really don't think that's the case.

It's a little scary because it's my left side and does sort of go into my chest a little bit. But the more I focus on it, it feels like it's in my shoulder and just now it dawned on me that it could be shoulder gout. I know that is a relatively common place to get it.

60 degrees and raining which always brings on gout. I woke up feeling it in my left foot. I went to the store for some cherry juice only to find that it was $23 per quart! I bought cherries instead. Hopefully they'll help a bit.

Any gout sufferers on this board? I'm a bit young and don't meet the profile of a typical gout sufferer, but I've had pretty bad gout (well, I didn't know what it was at the time until this past winter) that is apparently more genetic than anything. I don't drink and my red meat/shellfish/etc consumption is minimal...my body just doesn't process uric acid very well apparently.

The Allopurinol I've been taking has certainly helped and my uric acid levels have dropped tremendously into the normal range as of my last blood work...but every now and then (right now - hence the thread) I still have a somewhat rough flare up. Anyone find anything particular that helps lessen the flare up or speed up the process? Yeah, yeah...cherries, lots of water, etc...anything else better than that?

Also, if gout is "The Rich Man's" disease then why have I never been, nor become rich yet? Tips on how to make that happen would also be appreciated. :shrug:

Ive had it and it hurts bad.

As far as getting rich goes I have a Pro Tip:

Buy low, sell high.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom