Green Bay shows where the Saints royally screwed up (1 Viewer)

To hear SP tell it he was all ready to draft Mahomes but the Chiefs swooped him. SP says that Mahomes was the best QB prospect he ever saw and he came this close to getting him. We've seen the Saints move heaven and earth to go up and get their guy. Trading up to get their guy was their whole deal. So if SP knew Mahomes was the goat QB prospect, then why didn't they move heaven and earth to up and get him? Most trade up happy team in the league just couldn't be bothered with trading up for the most important position on the field with the greatest QB prospect SP had ever seen. I know it takes two to tango and all that but I find it hard to believe they couldn't have traded up for him if they wanted him that bad.

Lol all of the sudden they decided to let the draft come to them. Figures.
There's a reason Drew Brees is in that draft room in 2017. Sean had been wanting Mahomes and Drew being there was Mickey's way of working the room and Sean Payton to not bang the table to move up. If Sean would've had his way we would have come out of that draft with Mahomes. You can take that to the bank.

Andy Dalton, Nick Foles and Tyson Bagent all have higher winning percentages than Fields playing with the same guys. Not gonna get in a stat battle cuz you can make stats say whatever you want them to say. I’m not comparing three guys who have been proven elite talents in the NFL to Justin Fields bro lol put some respect on those men
If you can not comprehend that I DID put some respect on Cam, Vick, and Lamar, then that’s a YOU problem. I’ve already stated that Justin can be a problem for defenses. I never once said he is better than anyone. Dude hasn’t even played 3 seasons, so his book is still being written. Throw stats out, I’ll play YOUR game. You compared 2 veteran QBs (one of which was a SB winner btw) on those Bears rosters. They were both in Chicago in 2020 and 2021, 2021 was Justin’s rookie year. Foles only played 1 game which was a 35-34 win against The Seahwawks. Andy won 1 game which was a 3 point victory. Justin won 3 that year, as a rookie. So you are comparing a QB who played 1 game, a QB who played 2 full games (got injured the 3rd) vs a rookie who had to play the rest of the way. Btw, which one of Bagent’s wins was a signature victory??? The Raiders or the Panthers?🤣🤣🤣.

Stat alert: 🚨
Andy had a 73% completion percentage in 2021 with 4 air yards🤣.

Every pick was to help Brees the moment the Chiefs traded up to draft Mahomes one spot ahead of where we took Lattimore in 2017. The 2017 draft was the best draft in team history with the only competition being the 2006 draft. It revitalized Brees' tenure in New Orleans. That led to the trade up for Davenport when we could have stood pat and taken Lamar Jackson in 2018.

There has been no quarterback the Saints could have drafted in any subsequent year who was an obvious pick to take. In 2019 we had no first from the Davenport trade and took McCoy in the 2nd 48th overall. In 2020 we took Ruiz 24th overall. Jordan Love went 26th. That would have not been an obvious pick at the time. The next QB went in the fourth round. In 2021 we took Payton Turner 28th overall. The next QB went into the third and we would not want any of them. In 2022 the Saints took Olave at 11 and Penning 19. Penning is trash so far. The Steelers took Kenny Pickett at 20. Would you want Pickett? In 2023, the Panthers traded everything for Bryce Young and will likely end up giving up the first overall pick in 2024 to the Bears for the right to do so.

If the Saints had tried to get Olave another way in 2022 and traded their 19th overall pick up instead of giving up the 2023 first rounder we would have had the 10th overall pick and Young, Stroud, and Anthony Richardson would have all been gone. We picked Bresee at 29, Foskey at 40, and Kendre Miller at 71. Will Levis went at 22.

So realistically, yes everyone wishes we would have not traded up for Davenport and taken Jackson, but the other options are Love over Ruiz, Pickett over Penning, Levis over Bresee.

My hope is we tank and somehow draft Jayden Daniels with a high first this upcoming year with a new coach and do a full rebuild like the Panthers around Daniels. We will suck for a few years. Let Carr start and take a beating while Danields learns for at least one year or maybe two due to his contract. We get our cap right and get younger by drafting well with high picks. If Jayden Daniels ends up in Atlanta with that offense we will be in trouble for years. It is imperative to me for the long term health that the Saints do not win this division.
My thinking, very early on in the draft evaluation, is that Daniels will be picked somewhere between pick #5 and pick #20. There's about a 95% chance the Saints will pick between picks #8 and pick #15. My best guess right now is that Atlanta wins the South by default and the Saints pick winds up about #10. Daniels will likely be there at #10, but somebody might trade up to get him. Saints need to workout every DT, DE, OT and WR that are projected to be picked from #5-15 and show very little interest at QB. If they do that, they have a chance and can always try to jump up about three spots using a #2 pick and maybe a 4th rounder coming back. (Yes, I looked at the chart.) I think Daniels has a shot to be a legit starter, so it's worth it.

I think calling him our Dan Marino is disrespectful, DB9 was a much better QB than Marino.....
I suppose it makes sense, but I can't really argue or make any analogies with other legendary QB's or contemporaries of Brees' and say, "Brees' was our Tom Brady" because it wouldn't be 100% historically accurate or correct. I suppose a better analogy might be Brett Favre, because like Brees, he only won one SB during his long and winding career with Packers, but I still think Brees' was a better QB than Favre and wasnt prone to his mindless, impulsive late-game blunders and mistakes.

Since you and Terps live in Maryland, IMHO, a more accurate, complete historical comparison to Brees' might be Johnny Unitas. No, Unitas didnt throw for over 80,000 passing yards and 400 TDs as he played in a radically different game back then, but Unitas' long, sustained career in Baltimore, the effect his success had on Baltimore sports fans, its collective psyche, mythos, Unitas was almost a mythological figure for Colts fans and Baltimore-area sports fans from mid-50's-early 70's. After Unitas was unceremoniously traded to San Diego in 1973 by a blathering, drunken wreck of an owner in Robert Irsay (who was usually drunk after noon on most weekly workdays), an incompetent, thoughtless and careless owner with no filtering mechanism whatsoever pissed off local and state officials/leaders, the Colts never were the same dominant winning organization or continued to be like the Orioles.

Except for three AFC East division titles with proto-Elway QB Bert Jones, HC Ted Marchibroda, RB Lydell Mitchell, which they accomplished mostly in spite of Irsay's meddling, the Colts franchise would never be the same constant, perennial playoff contender until late 1990's/early 2000's when they were located in the Midwest, Baltimore goes without an NFL team for 12 years, and begins winning SB's again as the Ravens.

GB is not playing at some elite championship level that our org should be envious of the Love situation, unless we're missing something.

If you can not comprehend that I DID put some respect on Cam, Vick, and Lamar, then that’s a YOU problem. I’ve already stated that Justin can be a problem for defenses. I never once said he is better than anyone. Dude hasn’t even played 3 seasons, so his book is still being written. Throw stats out, I’ll play YOUR game. You compared 2 veteran QBs (one of which was a SB winner btw) on those Bears rosters. They were both in Chicago in 2020 and 2021, 2021 was Justin’s rookie year. Foles only played 1 game which was a 35-34 win against The Seahwawks. Andy won 1 game which was a 3 point victory. Justin won 3 that year, as a rookie. So you are comparing a QB who played 1 game, a QB who played 2 full games (got injured the 3rd) vs a rookie who had to play the rest of the way. Btw, which one of Bagent’s wins was a signature victory??? The Raiders or the Panthers?🤣🤣🤣.

Stat alert: 🚨
Andy had a 73% completion percentage in 2021 with 4 air yards🤣.

Why you laughing when Justin Fields wins are the Commanders and Dobbs lead Vikings. Keep making excuses for a dude that the only things he's done successfully in the NFL is lead a tank three straight years in a row. Bagent is a UDFA rookie and won 2 games in 4 starts and you're giving him no props for that while simping for poor 11th overall pick Fields, even giving him a win for a game he didn't start - he won 2 games in 10 starts. You literally can't come up with any to make Fields look good lol, wonder why that's the case.

You aren't respecting Cam Vick and Lamar when you're comparing a bust to them because he runs fast. Malik Willis might be the next Josh Allen, he FAST!!! Vince Young might be Malik Cunningham, boy can MOVE!! Is there a more casual take lmao.

Since you and Terps live in Maryland, IMHO, a more accurate, complete historical comparison to Brees' might be Johnny Unitas.

I grew up in Nola and no longer live in MD (after 33 years) so I'm not a Colts guy but I believe Terp is....

Walsh was acquired in a trade from Dallas. You may be thinking of 1980 when we took Dave Wilson in the supplemental draft.

Thanks for the correction, I totally missed that detail....

GB is not playing at some elite championship level that our org should be envious of the Love situation, unless we're missing something.
I think it's moreso the idea that they had a succession plan in place. You never really know what a player is going to do until he's out there, and you'd hope veteran QBs would handle such a torch-passing more graciously.

I will say that I shudder to think of how badly Pete Carmichael would be mismanaging, say, Lamar Jackson if the trade to #14 in 2018 were to be used to select him. LJ8 (would he wear 8 in New Orleans?) executing a Pete offense would be squeezing blood from a stone.

1989, Steve Walsh was a supplemental pick that is listed as a 1st rounder.....
The Cowboys drafted Walsh in the supplemental draft and we traded for him from the Cowboys giving up a first and I believe a third round pick a year later. Walsh played for Jimmy Johnson at the U but they drafted Aikman first overall in 1989 as well.

Why you laughing when Justin Fields wins are the Commanders and Dobbs lead Vikings. Keep making excuses for a dude that the only things he's done successfully in the NFL is lead a tank three straight years in a row. Bagent is a UDFA rookie and won 2 games in 4 starts and you're giving him no props for that while simping for poor 11th overall pick Fields, even giving him a win for a game he didn't start - he won 2 games in 10 starts. You literally can't come up with any to make Fields look good lol, wonder why that's the case.

You aren't respecting Cam Vick and Lamar when you're comparing a bust to them because he runs fast. Malik Willis might be the next Josh Allen, he FAST!!! Vince Young might be Malik Cunningham, boy can MOVE!! Is there a more casual take lmao.
Casual take🤣🤣🤣
This isn’t what is formerly known as Twitter. Take that nonsense back over there. You are the one with zero comprehension skills, which yet again, take that nonsense back to Twitter/X.

Casual take🤣🤣🤣
This isn’t what is formerly known as Twitter. Take that nonsense back over there. You are the one with zero comprehension skills, which yet again, take that nonsense back to Twitter/X.
I’ll give you credit this is your best post yet bc you aren’t trying to defend Bustin Fields as being a good quarterback.

However, this isn’t your forum so sadly you’re SOL buddy.

How does a team that had an aging, near-40 QB go three straight years without drafting a high-round QB to start developing under him? And how does that same team then go another three years after said QB's retirement and still not draft a QB to develop?

Look at Green Bay. They beat the Chiefs last night and are in the playoff hunt with a young QB who sat on the bench for three years learning. Jordan Love hasn't been unbelievable this season, but he's steadily improved, and it looks like Green Bay was able to transition to another franchise QB without even having a down year.

What do we have? We have a twice-concussed QB who is average on his good days and another guy who might as well be throwing to the other team half the time because he's so inaccurate.

Looking back, I'm just dumbfounded that we didn't make a move to get a QB to develop under Brees. Now, that opportunity is gone, and whoever we do eventually draft will have massive expectations and will likely have to start his first season. That lowers the probability of him succeeding.

In short, we royally screwed this up. I don't get it at all.
You're consistently one of the best posters on SR.

I mean, it wasn't like it was a choice we had to make. A high draft pick on a QB was hardly going to be the difference in competing for a championship or not.

We could have done both with even basic planning. Instead, we arrogantly kept not taking a QB, I guess believing we could just coach up some has-been, and here we are six years later.
I think it more about thinking you draft a diamond in the rough late in the draft and turn him into a franchise QB with a little coaching up.

Either way it didn't work.

How does a team that had an aging, near-40 QB go three straight years without drafting a high-round QB to start developing under him? And how does that same team then go another three years after said QB's retirement and still not draft a QB to develop?

Look at Green Bay. They beat the Chiefs last night and are in the playoff hunt with a young QB who sat on the bench for three years learning. Jordan Love hasn't been unbelievable this season, but he's steadily improved, and it looks like Green Bay was able to transition to another franchise QB without even having a down year.

What do we have? We have a twice-concussed QB who is average on his good days and another guy who might as well be throwing to the other team half the time because he's so inaccurate.

Looking back, I'm just dumbfounded that we didn't make a move to get a QB to develop under Brees. Now, that opportunity is gone, and whoever we do eventually draft will have massive expectations and will likely have to start his first season. That lowers the probability of him succeeding.

In short, we royally screwed this up. I don't get it at all.
Not like QBs were growing on trees at the spots we picked the last few years .

Would we be better off with Kenny Pickett, Mac Jones , Ridder ?

I mean people like Stroud, Burrow , etc were never in our pick range

The only QB the last 3 years we could
Have maybe helped ourselves with was Sam Howell maybe . Other then that don’t see where they saints would be tremendously better off with the above named QBs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom