Green Bay shows where the Saints royally screwed up (1 Viewer)

I believe that being drafted by the right team/ coach plays into how great a player can be. Honestly I would like to draft a QB high in this draft but I also don't trust this current coaching staff.

I think it’s important to remind you and other posters what he did before you come on here and say you’ve lost a lot of respect for a man who was our Dan Marino.

I think calling him our Dan Marino is disrespectful, DB9 was a much better QB than Marino.....

When was the last time the Saints drafted a QB in the first round or even second round? That was probably before my Saints fandom, which has to be well over a decade more 2.

1989, Steve Walsh was a supplemental pick that is listed as a 1st rounder.....

I always thought it was the arrogant Sean Payton thinking he could make any QB look good. Keep in mind he wanted Dante Cullpepper initially instead of Brees. I felt like Hill was going to be Drews replacement and Sean could manage him which that was proven. Sean left and Drew retires, and he we are stuck with the funny farm. I am more upset that DA signed Derek Carr. He got him fired in Oakland and will do the same here. DA is not a great head coach but if we had a decent QB we would be leading the division straight up even if it meant taking a chance on a rookie last year. I still think Hendon Hooker will be legit and was upset we passed on him.

All of those you listed were/are great running and great at playing QB as well. Fields is great at running. There is more to being a mobile QB than being fast and you listed perfect examples of that, Fields has not.

And you lost me when two guys who won MVP don't get credit lol.
Fields has a better completion percentage than Vick and Cam. Vick didn’t have that great of receivers but he had 2 decent ones and a great RB behind him. Cam had a great arsenal of receiving threats and two great RBs. Justin hasn’t had anything until DJ Moore this year and then he misses time as he was hitting his stride. Both Vick and Cam were not known for their accuracy. Cam got most of his passing yards in garbage time (I’ve lived in Charlotte since 2008 so I’ve seen him up close). So, no they were not great passers. Their teams gave them the green light to use their legs, which helped to open up the passing game. Honestly, Justin has been held back. He still has tremendous upside

1989, Steve Walsh was a supplemental pick that is listed as a 1st rounder.....
Walsh was acquired in a trade from Dallas. You may be thinking of 1980 when we took Dave Wilson in the supplemental draft.

I always thought it was the arrogant Sean Payton thinking he could make any QB look good. Keep in mind he wanted Dante Cullpepper initially instead of Brees. I felt like Hill was going to be Drews replacement and Sean could manage him which that was proven. Sean left and Drew retires, and he we are stuck with the funny farm. I am more upset that DA signed Derek Carr. He got him fired in Oakland and will do the same here. DA is not a great head coach but if we had a decent QB we would be leading the division straight up even if it meant taking a chance on a rookie last year. I still think Hendon Hooker will be legit and was upset we passed on him.
You have that backwards. It was Miami who wanted Culpepper, not Payton. If Payton wanted Culpepper, he could have easily had him,

You have that backwards. It was Miami who wanted Culpepper, not Payton. If Payton wanted Culpepper, he could have easily had him,
It would not have been easy, Culpepper was still under contract and Minnesota would absolutely have wanted the #2 pick. Especially given the wealth of QB talent atop the draft - they chose Tarvaris Jackson (RIP) but Miami’s first rounder (16) wouldn’t have gotten them a top-three projected QB that April. Goodness, the Sliding Doors (1998) team history that would have been altered then!

The reason why the Saints didn't go for either one was because they were trying to make a run and getting help along the offensive and defensive line was a top priority along with other needs.

Lamar Jackson was drafted in 2018 that the year the Saints was the top seed in the playoffs and went to the NFC Championship game in the Dome against the Rams. By the Saints defense putting all of their eggs in the playoff basket paid off. In 2020, Jalen Hurts was drafted and the Saints was 12-4 and had a loaded roster and went to the 2nd round in the playoffs.

Yes, you can make an complaint that the Saints should have drafted a QB in the first round but the team was in contention for another championship run between 2017 to 2020. So taking a chance on drafting a rookie QB with a high pick during that time was taking resources that could be better used in other areas considering how important that time was.

Bingo. I think most fans knew that ML and SP were pushing all their chips in to get Brees another ring by drafting complimentary (and need) players at other positions.

What's frustrating is that the Saints didn't get another ring and we're stuck in QB purgatory.

It would not have been easy, Culpepper was still under contract and Minnesota would absolutely have wanted the #2 pick. Especially given the wealth of QB talent atop the draft - they chose Tarvaris Jackson (RIP) but Miami’s first rounder (16) wouldn’t have gotten them a top-three projected QB that April. Goodness, the Sliding Doors (1998) team history that would have been altered then!
#2 pick? They would never have gotten that. They traded him for a mid-late 2nd rounder.

That is not correct. Payton wanted Culpepper but he chose Miami, so we signed Drew. I watched the whole story on ESPN about what if Nick Saban would have got Drew instead of Culpepper how that could have changed the history.

#2 pick? They would never have gotten that. They traded him for a mid-late 2nd rounder.
Because Miami’s pick was 16 and they wouldn’t have gotten a QB they liked with that pick. No QBs went between picks 11 (Cutler) and 49 (Kellen Clemens, whom you would not have remembered if I only typed “Clemens”). MIN took Tarvaris Jackson at 64, and secondhand embarrassment won’t even let me name the next two QBs picked. MIA was content to walk away from negotiations and sign Gus Frerotte back (MIA went 9-6 with him under center in 2005) if they had to.

Brees was a free agent that offseason, wasn’t going back to SD, and was a passed physical away from MIA keeping their picks and getting their QB.

To hear SP tell it he was all ready to draft Mahomes but the Chiefs swooped him. SP says that Mahomes was the best QB prospect he ever saw and he came this close to getting him. We've seen the Saints move heaven and earth to go up and get their guy. Trading up to get their guy was their whole deal. So if SP knew Mahomes was the goat QB prospect, then why didn't they move heaven and earth to up and get him? Most trade up happy team in the league just couldn't be bothered with trading up for the most important position on the field with the greatest QB prospect SP had ever seen. I know it takes two to tango and all that but I find it hard to believe they couldn't have traded up for him if they wanted him that bad.

Lol all of the sudden they decided to let the draft come to them. Figures.

Fields has a better completion percentage than Vick and Cam. Vick didn’t have that great of receivers but he had 2 decent ones and a great RB behind him. Cam had a great arsenal of receiving threats and two great RBs. Justin hasn’t had anything until DJ Moore this year and then he misses time as he was hitting his stride. Both Vick and Cam were not known for their accuracy. Cam got most of his passing yards in garbage time (I’ve lived in Charlotte since 2008 so I’ve seen him up close). So, no they were not great passers. Their teams gave them the green light to use their legs, which helped to open up the passing game. Honestly, Justin has been held back. He still has tremendous upside
Andy Dalton, Nick Foles and Tyson Bagent all have higher winning percentages than Fields playing with the same guys. Not gonna get in a stat battle cuz you can make stats say whatever you want them to say. I’m not comparing three guys who have been proven elite talents in the NFL to Justin Fields bro lol put some respect on those men

The organization didn't draft DB's replacement because they had high hopes on Winston. Didn't pan out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom