Green Bay shows where the Saints royally screwed up (2 Viewers)

It’s easy to look back and say this. What if we would have drafted.

Kenny Pickett
Zach Wilson
Trey Lance
Justin Fields
Mac Jones
Daniel Jones
Dwayne Haskins
Sam Darnold
Josh Rosen
Mitch Trubisky

All first round picks. We would be in no better situation. plus when you draft a rookie 1st round you tend to give him a couple of years to stink up the joint.

Bottom line Greenbay has drafted better than us at the not only quarter back but most positions. The end.
Hold up. I still kinda believe in Justin Fields. Sorry, but you can’t teach that kind of speed. The right OC can turn him into a nightmare for opposing defenses. If Michael Vick, Cam Newton, and Lamar Jackson can have success in this league, then Justin can as well.

Hold up. I still kinda believe in Justin Fields. Sorry, but you can’t teach that kind of speed. The right OC can turn him into a nightmare for opposing defenses. If Michael Vick, Cam Newton, and Lamar Jackson can have success in this league, then Justin can as well.

The absolute disrespect to Vick, Newton and Jackson lmao.

The absolute disrespect to Vick, Newton and Jackson lmao.
It’s not disrespectful bc those players showed they belong and they still don’t get credit for what they done. It seems like it will always be that way with “running” QBs. I am the biggest fan of running QBs, that’s why I still believe in Justin Fields. Either I expressed that incorrectly or you interpreted what I said incorrectly.
I re-read what I wrote, you definitely interpreted that incorrectly.

It’s easy to look back and say this. What if we would have drafted.

Kenny Pickett
Zach Wilson
Trey Lance
Justin Fields
Mac Jones
Daniel Jones
Dwayne Haskins
Sam Darnold
Josh Rosen
Mitch Trubisky

All first round picks. We would be in no better situation. plus when you draft a rookie 1st round you tend to give him a couple of years to stink up the joint.

Bottom line Greenbay has drafted better than us at the not only quarter back but most positions. The end.
Players are not static objects. They develop depending on where they are and the situation they are placed in. We have no idea how they would have done actually learning under Brees for a few years.

Also, you miss every shot you don't take. There are a lot of good QBs taken high during that time as well.

And that draft qb could have learned from a first-ballot HOF qb. So here we are

The highest this team has taken a QB since Archie Manning is the 3rd round (Garrett Grayson). It is front office malpractice for that to be the case when we knew Drew was getting close to the end. He would have been P'Oed, but he would have sucked it up because he's a professional and a good leader. The mid round flyers were not enough for a team that had built the culture this team built. BPA is fine when you're stacked, but we had a glaring hole at developmental QB behind Brees.
I don't think Drew would have been mad if we drafted a QB to develop in his last years. He and everyone else knew his arm was failing and likely already past due for retirement. These were his last years no matter what. Its not like the Rodgers situation where he still has a good 5 more years to compete at a high level.

It’s not disrespectful bc those players showed they belong and they still don’t get credit for what they done. It seems like it will always be that way with “running” QBs. I am the biggest fan of running QBs, that’s why I still believe in Justin Fields. Either I expressed that incorrectly or you interpreted what I said incorrectly.
I re-read what I wrote, you definitely interpreted that incorrectly.

All of those you listed were/are great running and great at playing QB as well. Fields is great at running. There is more to being a mobile QB than being fast and you listed perfect examples of that, Fields has not.

And you lost me when two guys who won MVP don't get credit lol.

So you give up? Lamar and Jalen could have been drafted after Mahomes.
The reason why the Saints didn't go for either one was because they were trying to make a run and getting help along the offensive and defensive line was a top priority along with other needs.

Lamar Jackson was drafted in 2018 that the year the Saints was the top seed in the playoffs and went to the NFC Championship game in the Dome against the Rams. By the Saints defense putting all of their eggs in the playoff basket paid off. In 2020, Jalen Hurts was drafted and the Saints was 12-4 and had a loaded roster and went to the 2nd round in the playoffs.

Yes, you can make an complaint that the Saints should have drafted a QB in the first round but the team was in contention for another championship run between 2017 to 2020. So taking a chance on drafting a rookie QB with a high pick during that time was taking resources that could be better used in other areas considering how important that time was.

They were all in to draft Mahomes as the succession guy, and when that didn't work out they completely abandoned the idea of drafting another QB.

The Saints traded up to draft Davenport in the same year Lamar Jackson went #32 overall.

Jackson has flaws as a passer, sure, but he'd be comically, hilariously, breathtakingly better than any other QB the Saints have had who is not named Brees.

God, imagine this run game with Jackson, Kamara, and Ingram. Good Lord.
I think whiffing on Jackson was more unforgivable that missing out on Mahomes. cant help when a team drafts in front of you...but....

Every pick was to help Brees the moment the Chiefs traded up to draft Mahomes one spot ahead of where we took Lattimore in 2017. The 2017 draft was the best draft in team history with the only competition being the 2006 draft. It revitalized Brees' tenure in New Orleans. That led to the trade up for Davenport when we could have stood pat and taken Lamar Jackson in 2018.

There has been no quarterback the Saints could have drafted in any subsequent year who was an obvious pick to take. In 2019 we had no first from the Davenport trade and took McCoy in the 2nd 48th overall. In 2020 we took Ruiz 24th overall. Jordan Love went 26th. That would have not been an obvious pick at the time. The next QB went in the fourth round. In 2021 we took Payton Turner 28th overall. The next QB went into the third and we would not want any of them. In 2022 the Saints took Olave at 11 and Penning 19. Penning is trash so far. The Steelers took Kenny Pickett at 20. Would you want Pickett? In 2023, the Panthers traded everything for Bryce Young and will likely end up giving up the first overall pick in 2024 to the Bears for the right to do so.

If the Saints had tried to get Olave another way in 2022 and traded their 19th overall pick up instead of giving up the 2023 first rounder we would have had the 10th overall pick and Young, Stroud, and Anthony Richardson would have all been gone. We picked Bresee at 29, Foskey at 40, and Kendre Miller at 71. Will Levis went at 32.

So realistically, yes everyone wishes we would have not traded up for Davenport and taken Jackson, but the other options are Love over Ruiz, Pickett over Penning, Levis over Bresee.

My hope is we tank and somehow draft Jayden Daniels with a high first this upcoming year with a new coach and do a full rebuild like the Panthers around Daniels. We will suck for a few years. Let Carr start and take a beating while Danields learns for at least one year or maybe two due to his contract. We get our cap right and get younger by drafting well with high picks. If Jayden Daniels ends up in Atlanta with that offense we will be in trouble for years. It is imperative to me for the long term health that the Saints do not win this division.

Last edited:
The reason why the Saints didn't go for either one was because they were trying to make a run and getting help along the offensive and defensive line was a top priority along with other needs.

Lamar Jackson was drafted in 2018 that the year the Saints was the top seed in the playoffs and went to the NFC Championship game in the Dome against the Rams. By the Saints defense putting all of their eggs in the playoff basket paid off. In 2020, Jalen Hurts was drafted and the Saints was 12-4 and had a loaded roster and went to the 2nd round in the playoffs.

Yes, you can make an complaint that the Saints should have drafted a QB in the first round but the team was in contention for another championship run between 2017 to 2020. So taking a chance on drafting a rookie QB with a high pick during that time was taking resources that could be better used in other areas considering how important that time was.
That was a perfect time to bring someone in and sit. At a certain point, you have to think like GB and see if you find value in a pick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom