Haener film looks better than Young. (1 Viewer)

He may or may not pan out, but quality of opponents matters none unless you got a well built team around you yourself, then you should go off on everyone. Like Burrow did at LSU.
Quality of opponents does not matter? You cannot really believe that.

Really? Also, did you take into account the quality of opponents? My concern with Haener is that when I see him, he just seems so small (and a very small frame). He looks even smaller than Young to me. I am excited to see him in the preseason, but some seem to be expecting a lot out him him right away.
While Haener did not play against Georgia or TN. or LSU he also did not have GA,TN, or LSU's talent at O line or WR's or even RB's. The quality of the opponent goes along with the quality of the team around you. If you swap Young with Haener I would bet cash $ he would have been a top 10 pick

His arm strength is just about the same as peak DB. Neither have a rocket arm but can make every throw

Those throws are just over 50 yards. I’m not sure what you think this video is supposed to demonstate.

While Haener did not play against Georgia or TN. or LSU he also did not have GA,TN, or LSU's talent at O line or WR's or even RB's. The quality of the opponent goes along with the quality of the team around you. If you swap Young with Haener I would bet cash $ he would have been a top 10 pick
That purely is a biased guess. Had he been drafted by the Falcons, would you have thought the same thing? Young went to a top SEC based on his talent in high school. I hope Haener surprises and becomes a star, but I think too many are viewing him through black and gold glasses from the start and may be expecting too much.

That purely is a biased guess. Had he been drafted by the Falcons, would you have thought the same thing? Young went to a top SEC based on his talent in high school. I hope Haener surprises and becomes a star, but I think too many are viewing him through black and gold glasses from the start and may be expecting too much.
I've been watching Haener for almost 2yrs now since midway through
the 21 season because I thought we might be in the market for a QB last yr .
Haener decided to stay another yr. I watched him for most of this last season for the same reason, I thought we might be in the market for a QB. When we got DC I figured not much chance we'd draft one. I was very happy when Haener's name was called because I'd get to see his development up close.
Had he been drafted by the Falcons I would have hated it because I think he has great potential.So the bias is not because he is a Saint but because I think he has the talent to become very good, so that's a wrong assumption

Agreed. This was probably his biggest knock in the draft analysis I have read. He will not be able to stretch the field and will have to play in a true west coast style offense.

Any offense that features him will get a lot of single high looks and he will be throwing into tight coverages. He will need a lot of quickness at WR and some people who can create windows of separation.
While you always need someone to stretch the field to in any offense, let’s not forget that Colston was one of Brees’ favorite receivers. Know why? He was an elite route runner and Brees knew he would be where he was supposed to be. That could be in your windows of separation comment but really it was timing and not arm strength

That he has the arm strength to throw 50yrd plus accurately. It's rare that a QB has to throw it more than that in the air
Throwing 50 yards accurately. That would be a pretty low bar even for a JUCO QB.

But it’s not just the 50+ yard throws (not even primarily). It’s throwing out-routes and tight-window throws with zip. The last two years of Brees’ career proved that even with the best anticipation, a weak arm can only get you so far.

And to me, Haener’s arm strength looks a lot like 2019-20 Brees. You’re free to disagree, but I’m not too optimistic about his ceiling.

I've been watching Haener for almost 2yrs now since midway through
the 21 season because I thought we might be in the market for a QB last yr .
Haener decided to stay another yr. I watched him for most of this last season for the same reason, I thought we might be in the market for a QB. When we got DC I figured not much chance we'd draft one. I was very happy when Haener's name was called because I'd get to see his development up close.
Had he been drafted by the Falcons I would have hated it because I think he has great potential.So the bias is not because he is a Saint but because I think he has the talent to become very good, so that's a wrong assumption
But this comment you made sounds biased-
If you swap Young with Haener I would bet cash $ he would have been a top 10 pick
As much as I want Haener to be a stud and future starter, he was not better than Young coming out of high school and could not win the job in Washington. He is not the better prospect coming into the NFL. He played at Fresno State. There is no way to compare him to Young given that level of competition. While he did not have the supporting cast that Young had, he also did not have to play against the defenses that Young had to. The knock on Young is his size and Haener has the same issue. So, to compare the two is fruitless. Let's just hope for the Saints' sake that your estimation of his potential is spot on. I would love that.

FWIW Ireland said while scouting Haener they asked themselves could he have had success in Alabama‘s offense as a QB.

Its not saying he’s better than Young as a prospect but it is a worthy scouting question.

I think the answer is Yes and so did Ireland and Co

Throwing 50 yards accurately. That would be a pretty low bar even for a JUCO QB.

But it’s not just the 50+ yard throws (not even primarily). It’s throwing out-routes and tight-window throws with zip. The last two years of Brees’ career proved that even with the best anticipation, a weak arm can only get you so far.

And to me, Haener’s arm strength looks a lot like 2019-20 Brees. You’re free to disagree, but I’m not too optimistic about his ceiling.
EVERY scout has said he has the arm strength to make ALL the throws . maybe you should watch more of his games

But this comment you made sounds biased-

As much as I want Haener to be a stud and future starter, he was not better than Young coming out of high school and could not win the job in Washington. He is not the better prospect coming into the NFL. He played at Fresno State. There is no way to compare him to Young given that level of competition. While he did not have the supporting cast that Young had, he also did not have to play against the defenses that Young had to. The knock on Young is his size and Haener has the same issue. So, to compare the two is fruitless. Let's just hope for the Saints' sake that your estimation of his potential is spot on. I would love that.
Not biased at all, Jeff Ireland asked that same question. He did not even remotely close to have the supporting cast that Young had. In fact, Jake was the only player drafted from Fresno St this yr. There are dozens of very good to great QB's that played at small schools where the competition was not elite. Would you have dissed Terry Bradshaw, Joe Flacco,Steve McNair or Roethlisberger because they didn't play in the SEC ?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom