Saints I’m a homer: Guilty as charged. But this vid gave me a HARD dose of reality! (1 Viewer)

Currently, we don't have quality starters at every position:

QB ?/1; OL 2/5; WR 2/3; RB 1/2; TE 1/2; DT 1/2; DE 1/2; CB 2/2; S 2/3.

Yes, lots of teams have holes, but thinking we are going to challenge in the playoffs when across the board we have holes and very few Pro Bowlers is not realistic.

Currently, we don't have quality starters at every position:

QB ?/1; OL 2/5; WR 2/3; RB 1/2; TE 1/2; DT 1/2; DE 1/2; CB 2/2; S 2/3.

Yes, lots of teams have holes, but thinking we are going to challenge in the playoffs when across the board we have holes and very few Pro Bowlers is not realistic.
OL and DT are the only positions lacking true quality starters. There’s other positions that need to be upgraded but aren’t currently lacking a quality starter.

S: Mathieu, Howden, Abram 3/3
DE: Granderson, Young 2/2
TE: Johnson is a quality starter who can be upgraded
WR: Olave, Shaheed, Perry (Another elite WR2 playmaker can be added in the draft)
RB: Kamara, Miller 2/2
QB: Carr is a very quality starter for the time being until a 1st rd QB is drafted in the near future

There’s 4 Pro Bowl ceilings at RB, WR and DE

OL and DT are the only positions lacking true quality starters. There’s other positions that need to be upgraded but aren’t currently lacking a quality starter.

WR: Olave, Shaheed, Perry (Another elite WR2 playmaker can be added in the draft)
QB: Carr is a very quality starter for the time being until a 1st rd QB is drafted in the near future

Not counting Howden, Perry, Miller. They are just not proven commodities yet. They are guys that can develop into starters but are kind of in the developing mode. Not sure what Young will bring. Put a ? on Carr as his play was too erratic for 12 of the 18 games last year and is a debate all on his own.

Easiest SOS again this season. The division has too much influence
AFC West a minimum of 1-3 for DA. No way he’s beating Harbaugh, Reid, and Payton IMO. He has a chance against his Raiders and fellow defensive head coach Pierce, but I honestly think Pierce is a better leader of men than DA. The Saints played an easy schedule against a lot of backup QB’s last year and this year will not be nearly as easy. Cousins is also in the division now and is better than Carr.

Everything he said factually about the team is true, but in the end he's another blow it up and rebuild guy. At some point It may need to happen , But i sure don't know when. If they don't hit on the draft this year it may be time to get on the Arch Manning Express
This is where I sit. The foundation of the data presented was 100% factual.
-Coaching did anyone no favors
-The last 5 games changed a lot of narratives about the season
-We had a pretty soft schedule.

I'm excited to see what Kubiak does and how this draft plays out but our defense needs to take a step up and I hope Kubiak looks at the mistakes that Pete made with the playbook and move differently

Carr played better than I expected. We can win with him, no going into the season with a new qb will help. A tightend and olineman and we’ll be fine in 2024. I expect improvements over last season.
The video points out how the last 5 games of the season completely changed the narrative on Carr but this actually makes sense as to why his metrics deviate so far from his raw stats. That said, I believe that if Kubiak learns Carr upfront and build the playbook around what he can actually do, instead of the "Carr is the perfect fit for the offense, so give him the entire playbook" deal we had last season, I think we will be in a good place.

We are looking to add depth at most positions but we have clear starters, only OL and DT need additions and I would throw in safety.

I think people are underestimating Allen and the quality of the team he inherited.

Payton left him without a QB, in a salary cap mess, with aging players at key positions. He inherited a losing team that had talent but very little depth behind that talent.

Last edited:
I think people are underestimating Allen and the quality of the team he inherited.

Payton left him without a QB, in a salary cap mess, with aging players at key positions. He inherited a losing team that had talent but very little depth at key positions.
I'd wager they are underestimating Loomis and Co; in retooling the roster and how much of a fit Allen actually is as he has helped guide a team in transition to 8-9 wins during this transition.

Last edited:
He inherited a losing team that had talent but very little depth behind that talent.

Total and utter BS.....Losing team? The 2021 Saints were 9-8 despite a record number of games missed by starters and 4 different starting QB's .......If that team is healthy (under CSP) they likely win 11-13 games.....

I simply can't respect these kind of BS prop up DA type takes.....

Total and utter BS.....Losing team? The 2021 Saints were 9-8 despite a record number of games missed by starters and 4 different starting QB's .......If that team is healthy (under CSP) they likely win 11-13 games.....

I simply can't respect these kind of BS prop up DA type takes.....
Beat me to the punch. To say that he inherited a losing team means that you ignored us going 9-8 with a tougher schedule than we had this season. Crap, with all of the crap that we went through that season (4 QBs, injured O-line, no depth at RB, bottom tier WR room, etc), we missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker and would have probably moonwalked into the playoffs if Winston doesn't get hurt or Taysom could have started earlier. Our 2022 squad was better in nearly every regard (albeit, the defense 1 year older), but coaching was very lacking.

Beat me to the punch. To say that he inherited a losing team means that you ignored us going 9-8 with a tougher schedule than we had this season. Crap, with all of the crap that we went through that season (4 QBs, injured O-line, no depth at RB, bottom tier WR room, etc), we missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker and would have probably moonwalked into the playoffs if Winston doesn't get hurt or Taysom could have started earlier. Our 2022 squad was better in nearly every regard (albeit, the defense 1 year older), but coaching was very lacking.

Yup....all absolute truth......

I have zero faith in DA or Loomis, the only folks in the building I do have some faith in is Jeff Ireland and staff.....

I've seen nothing/nada/zip/zero/none evidence that DA is a competent HC.....I hope that changes this year, but I have my doubts.....

2. D. Carr is not a good QB, not worth the money we gave him.
I would say they are fair points except #2. I would say that D. Carr is an Ok QB. But in order for that statement to be accurate either Carr has to be an awful QB or we had to pay him like a better than good QB.

But the truth is he is probably underpaid for his very average QB performance. How can that be IceHot, we are paying him a lot and not getting much? Well let me break it down for ya...

My understanding is that DC has a Base Salary of $82.7m, $57.3m prorated signing bonus, roster bonus of $10m, Guaranteed Salary of $12.7m, and a cap hit of $150m which extends from 2023 to 2028.

From what I can tell almost every team in the NFL either has a QB with a more expensive contract than DCs or they have a QB taking the primary snaps that is still on his rookie deal. With the only notable exceptions potentially being Jacoby Brissett with the Pats, Mayfield with the Bucs, Minshew with the Colts, Darnold with the Vikings, and Mariota with the WFT.

Seems to me like we are actually paying him to be a bottom tier fill-in or prove it QB and getting a bit better of a return on that.

Yup....all absolute truth......

I have zero faith in DA or Loomis, the only folks in the building I do have some faith in is Jeff Ireland and staff.....

I've seen nothing/nada/zip/zero/none evidence that DA is a competent HC.....I hope that changes this year, but I have my doubts.....
And if you look back at anything that I've said, it was moreso directed at Pete, because the offense looked "off." I never got caught up in the "this is what DA inherited" because in reality, he inherited a 9-8 team that through the draft and free agency, got better. The cap was messed up BUT the brunt of that was felt in 2021, not 2022, as we saw a 8% decrease in 2021 because of COVID. Honestly, this should be THE season for DA; he got his QB, he got his people, and he is building his "culture." Let's see what it gets us.

Seems to me like we are actually paying him to be a bottom tier fill-in or prove it QB and getting a bit better of a return on that.
A bottom tier fill-in or prove it QB doesn't get a multiyear contract with a no-trade clause...lol

I watched the video and these are his main points:

1. D. Allen not a good coach, does not trust him in big games.
2. D. Carr is not a good QB, not worth the money we gave him.
3. Top 10 in several different statistical areas, top 3 in turnovers and had a +11 TO differential, while playing one of the easiest schedules and could not make the playoffs.
4. Team is getting older, at least in terms of star players, Also brings up RR might miss the season do to knee.
5. Feels the South has tougher competition, mainly from K. Cousins led Failcons.
6. Mentions poor choices made like the Philly trade.

All of these are valid points, and I would not really blame anyone for not believing in the Saints in the 2024 season.

My main issue with the entire video, why I can't really take it serious, is that he never mentions, PC or K. Kubiak once. This will be the "X" factor for the Saints entire 24 season. If we can patch together a semi-competent OL, and we get something that resembles a modern offense, I think we have a chance at winning the division.
Those are all valid reasons. Coaching is our greatest downfall. But, I hope I will be wrong.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom