I have a dumb cashier story (2 Viewers)

I walked into a gas station late one night a few years ago, went straight to the cooler and grabbed a pint of ice cream. I put it on the counter, prepared to pay and the clerk who was no more than 21 years old, stared me down and said:

"Did you just steal something?"

"Huh?!?", I replied.

"You put something in your coat pocket when you walked to the cooler.", she said.

"I did what now?!?"

"You put grabbed something and stuffed it in your pocket, just a second ago.", she claimed.

I was in shock.

"Are you serious?", I asked -- waiting for the punchline.

"Empty your pockets. I know you stole something.", she requested.

"There is no f-ing way I'm emptying my pockets for you!" I replied.

She stared me down for a few seconds and then proceeded to ring-up the ice cream and give me my total as if the previous exchange had never happened.

I left, sorta dazed, without buying anything of course. It was literally one of the most bizarre encounters I'd ever had.

I've heard this idea rephrased so many times that I just want to vomit whenever it's unnecessarily uttered again. Seriously.

It isn't an idea. Studies show that even though our IQs are increasing from generation to generation, our actual possessed knowledge is declining. In other words, our capacity for understanding IS growing, but what we know and understand is moving in the opposite direction due to dependency on things like Google or Wikipedia. It sounds silly, but the information age is fundamentally rewiring our brains not to retain information because we don't have to. You can't look it up again with the touch of a finger, so both short term memorization and long term learning become altered at their most basic points.

There's plenty of stuff out there on this. You can vomit all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that, yeah, each generation IS getting progressively dumber despite a paradoxical capacity for more knowledge.

I've heard this idea rephrased so many times that I just want to vomit whenever it's unnecessarily uttered again. Seriously.

you must not teach middle school (as i do) if you did, you'd have no problem believing that people aren't as smart as they used to be.

I teach where i went to school. Only one of the teachers that taught me still works here. I asked her to compare our generation to the current one. She said 2 things:

1. Parents now were raised by parents who were (on the whole) strict on them and expected them to study and work hard. They thought it was "unfair," so they don't "force" their kids to work as hard, hence overall lower student performance. (Same can be said for behavior as well)

2. TVs are used more as babysitters and shows like Sponge bob have little redeeming qualities for children to learn from.

Living where i did growing up, we didn't get cable till i was 12. Cartoons only came on on weekends and the only other children's programing was on PBS and it was educational. If you watched TV then, you either learned something from an educational show, or watched a more mature show that required more "adult" thinking.

So instead of kids rotting their brains to Sponge Bob, we watched Fantasy Island reruns or even Gilligan's island reruns in the afternoons. Gilligan's island was brilliant as kids programming because it stressed the importance of science in the role of the professor. It showed how people with money sought to use it for power and influence (the Howells). How a movie star was just a normal person who put on a persona to influence people (Ginger), etc...

Well, i guess that was kinda long winded huh?

Anyway, take it from a 7th grade teacher, on the whole, kids aren't as studious as previous generations were, and they have taken the concept of "work smarter, not harder" and turned it into "why work? Someone smarter will do it for me."

i once went to Taco Bell and ordered my son 2 soft tacos with lettuce and cheese

i got two soft taco shells with only lettuce and cheese in them....nothing else

i was told that since i asked for lettuce and cheese that's all i got.....shouldn't the meat be on there by default?? do i have to actually specify that i want meat??

dunno why but I actually lol'd at this.. I'm very picky and order my stuff plain or cheese only all the time and run into this issue.. morans

you must not teach middle school (as i do) if you did, you'd have no problem believing that people aren't as smart as they used to be.

I teach where i went to school. Only one of the teachers that taught me still works here. I asked her to compare our generation to the current one. She said 2 things:

1. Parents now were raised by parents who were (on the whole) strict on them and expected them to study and work hard. They thought it was "unfair," so they don't "force" their kids to work as hard, hence overall lower student performance. (Same can be said for behavior as well)

2. TVs are used more as babysitters and shows like Sponge bob have little redeeming qualities for children to learn from.

Living where i did growing up, we didn't get cable till i was 12. Cartoons only came on on weekends and the only other children's programing was on PBS and it was educational. If you watched TV then, you either learned something from an educational show, or watched a more mature show that required more "adult" thinking.

So instead of kids rotting their brains to Sponge Bob, we watched Fantasy Island reruns or even Gilligan's island reruns in the afternoons. Gilligan's island was brilliant as kids programming because it stressed the importance of science in the role of the professor. It showed how people with money sought to use it for power and influence (the Howells). How a movie star was just a normal person who put on a persona to influence people (Ginger), etc...

Well, i guess that was kinda long winded huh?

Anyway, take it from a 7th grade teacher, on the whole, kids aren't as studious as previous generations were, and they have taken the concept of "work smarter, not harder" and turned it into "why work? Someone smarter will do it for me."

B.S.

Kids are the same today intelligence wise - if not smarter.

And what the hell is wrong with Sponge Bob? That is some creative stuff.

i once went to Taco Bell and ordered my son 2 soft tacos with lettuce and cheese

i got two soft taco shells with only lettuce and cheese in them....nothing else

i was told that since i asked for lettuce and cheese that's all i got.....shouldn't the meat be on there by default?? do i have to actually specify that i want meat??

At Sonic, you can get mayo, mustard, and/or ketchup on your burgers. I didn't want mayo, so I ordered a #2 combo with mustard and ketchup. I get back to work and realize I've got a $6 double cheeseburger with nothing but mustard and ketchup. No lettuce, no tomato, no pickles, no onions. I could have got that off the McDonald's value menu for $1.

"THEY **** YOU AT THE DRIVETHRU!"

ALWAYS check your food before you leave a fast food drivethru.. it's worth the extra 15 seconds

I worked at a corner grocery store many years ago. A guy in his twenties walked in, pointed at a jar of candies that was labeled and said "How much are the five cent candies?". I told him 10 cents, he took one candy out of the jar, handed me a dime and started to walk away from the counter. I said "Here's your change" and slid him a nickel across the counter. He had the most dumb founded look on his face.

I had a cashier argue with me once that "plain" meant it came with mustard, ketchup, lettuce and a tomato :jpshakhead:

My favorite cashier trick goes like this: The bill is, say 11.56. I hand the cashier a 20 and 2 singles. More than half the time I have to explain the need for the singles. :covri:

I get the same thing in the other direction....

* running an employee's till whom I notice is low on ones; a popular item is $5.50

* guest hands me a $20

me: do you have a $1? I can give you $15 back.^

guest: a $1... what? Fifteen?

me: * wishing a desk was nearby to headdesk
me: a one-dollar bill. I can return you a $10 and a $5.

guest: *processes that
guest: ohhhhh! okay

^ - don't think for a second I've forgotten about the .50 owed, but it's easier to ask someone for a bill than .50 in change

I stopped reading at Today, I went to McDonalds.....

What I love is going to a fast food restaurant and asking for a small size meal. They reply you want a medium? There are only medium, large and king sized.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom