I hope Kubiak doesn't call games like Kyle (1 Viewer)

He's solid, but there's a reason they thought Lance was an upgrade over Jimmy G. Purdy is just a cheaper version.
It’s been interesting how Shanahan has put Purdy in more shotgun and empty sets in the postseason, all the UC trickery was set aside. Either Shanahan found his base UC offense wasn’t working anymore or he thought Purdy was at a level where he could be the centerpiece of the offense.

Purdy is young and has room to grow. It’s not quite the McVay-Goff situation but I was reminded of it. The modern OC’s can get production out of an average QB, but when the DC is one step ahead of the OC, the QB’s ability to adapt is the difference between winning and losing.

And I'm not basing it all on one snap with a pass rush by Chris Jones. Purdy was mediocre all game and he's always been pretty mediocre especially when he faces good defenses. I have never gotten the love for Purdy. He's a solid starter but he's a guy that needs a good team and good defense around him and he has limitations that great players don't have.
LOL...Mahomes was mediocre all game and he has been mediocre all season. Trust me, I'm not on the "Brock Purdy is the greatest thing ever" but I'm also not going to turn a blind eye to the one that everyone is trying to call the best ever after tonight's win being the beneficiary of the system. This lost was more on coaching and that 3rd down rush than anything. Mahomes did what he had to that last drive and can't take that away from him to that dude wasn't playing lights out tonight.

And I'm not basing it all on one snap with a pass rush by Chris Jones. Purdy was mediocre all game and he's always been pretty mediocre especially when he faces good defenses. I have never gotten the love for Purdy. He's a solid starter but he's a guy that needs a good team and good defense around him and he has limitations that great players don't have.
LOL Purdy has been a starter @ QB for all of a yr and a half. And I think you'll find that most QB's become mediocre when they face a very good defense. Mahomes was mediocre for just about the whole game till Wilks blew it. But this game was more about special teams mistakes than Mahomes or Purdy

We can think what we want about Mahomes but he was not going to escape from this:

The whole game manager/game changer talk don't really apply when Chris Jones is in your face 1 second after you snap. LOL

If anyone thinks Purdy choked on that 3rd down, I don't know what you were looking at.

Thanks for the Vid. The Chris Jones play is at 23:28. I agree. Lamar Jackson would have been sacked on
that play if he didn't get rid of it quickly.

It’s been interesting how Shanahan has put Purdy in more shotgun and empty sets in the postseason, all the UC trickery was set aside. Either Shanahan found his base UC offense wasn’t working anymore or he thought Purdy was at a level where he could be the centerpiece of the offense.

Purdy is young and has room to grow. It’s not quite the McVay-Goff situation but I was reminded of it. The modern OC’s can get production out of an average QB, but when the DC is one step ahead of the OC, the QB’s ability to adapt is the difference between winning and losing.

I'm curious if CMC banging his head on the turf and going out 2 plays later, Deebo playing on what looked like a pretty bad hammy (numbed up to get him to return to the game) and Kittle with an injured shoulder near the end of the game factored into how Shanahan was calling the game in OT. It had to factor in that 3/4 top weapons weren't 100%. Not that I care, they are the team that did a kill shot on PT when they couldn't stop him.

Last edited:
LOL Purdy has been a starter @ QB for all of a yr and a half. And I think you'll find that most QB's become mediocre when they face a very good defense. Mahomes was mediocre for just about the whole game till Wilks blew it. But this game was more about special teams mistakes than Mahomes or Purdy
Many defenses blow it against a guy already claiming to be the QB goat. Purdy is a great system QB but not special, and all qbs struggle against a good pass rush.

No. Don’t you have a play or hot route to combat a pass rush?
A hot route? If you look at the play and I just looked at it again twice, it looked to be a designed screen to Kittle and if it had a 1/2 second more, that would have been a 1st. The problem is Jones BLASTED through there. No QB would have had a chance on that play. I haven't been the most "up" on Purdy but in no way did he choke on that play. Let me ask you; who would be the hot route?

Hoping a team gets conservative on a 4th down for no logical reason when a TD wins it.

You never want to put a tired defense back out there unless you truly have no choice
San Francisco couldn't win the game in overtime just by scoring a TD. The new playoff OT rules guarantee both offenses a possession. It would have put more pressure on KC, because they would have had to score a TD not to lose, but it wouldn't have won the game for the 49'ers.

San Francisco couldn't win the game in overtime just by scoring a TD. The new playoff OT rules guarantee both offenses a possession. It would have put more pressure on KC, because they would have had to score a TD not to lose, but it wouldn't have won the game for the 49'ers.
Nope if the team with the first possesion scores a TD,the game is over.

edit- just looked it up. you are correct. The rule is for the SB only. The old rule for the
regular season and other playoff games remain the same.

It’s not the only game that Shanahan and/or Reid have been shut down in. I am optimistic about what Kubiak will bring to the offense, but I also know that Carr will need to play at a high level for it to work. There’s no such thing as an offense that can rely on getting players wide open all game long, excepting the games when that offense is playing a bad defense.

Sure there is no doubt that a scheme doesn't fix everything. You still need a QB that can execute the scheme and sometimes do some off schedule stuff to be really good. And, it also helps to have players around that QB that are really good.

But, some schemes make things easier on the QB than others. Our scheme the last few years has just made every snap look hard. No mismatches almost no really open receivers unless it was an amazing route or amazing speed. So hopefully the new scheme can help that. But, it's not going to fix everything. Even the best scheme needs an OL that blocks well, a QB that executes the offense right and play makers that make plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom