I hope Kubiak doesn't call games like Kyle (2 Viewers)

I'm curious if CMC banging his head on the turf and going out 2 plays later, Deebo playing on what looked like a pretty bad hammy (numbed up to get him to return to the game) and Kittle with an injured shoulder near the end of the game factored into how Shanahan was calling the game in OT. It had to factor in that 3/4 top weapons weren't 100%. Not that I care, they are the time that did a kill shot on PT when they couldn't stop him.
I’m sure it affected his playcalling, but he’s been putting the game on Purdy’s shoulders most of the postseason. Their best offensive output was in the second half against the Lions when they went back to some of the concepts that have come to define Shanahan’s offense. I posted this after the Green Bay game:

It’s interesting how much Shanahan put the GB game on Purdy. On early downs, they were in shotgun on 83% of plays compared to 55% for the season, and they were in an empty set on 33% of pass attempts compared to 12% for the season. I’m sure both contributed to a lower rate of play action on early downs (17% vs 28% for the regular season).

Purdy didn’t look as comfortable as he normally does, so I wonder if they’ll try to take the pressure off in the NFCCG with more under center snaps (and more PA) to replace the empty sets.

I thought both offenses stunk for most of the game. CMC was the only one that had any mojo at all, Mahommes was lucky they ran the ball so much early on or the pass probably wouldn't have been there so much in OT. One of the most boring Super Bowls in recent memory for me.

I mean, the great players get out of the pocket and make great throws or run for yards. Mahomes avoided Bosa several times and in the end he made the big play. Of course there were other factors but when Mahomes continues to do it over and over, you have to concede that he has that factor that a guy like Purdy just doesn't have.

Purdy is a good game manager. Probably in the range of Cousins, but he isn't likely to take over any games against good to great defenses.

But, yeah, this game was mostly about defense which is why it takes a guy like Mahomes to make the play when it counts. And, it doesn't hurt that Andy Reid is a great play designer and caller.
Patrick Mahomes had won 3 Super Bowls, and played in 4 overall through his career because he's capable of doing and excelling in a lot of the "little things" during games and post-season games so well like converting key 3rd and 4th down plays late in-games and like on 4th and 1 and elevating your skill set to another level even when your offense isn't operating at 110% efficiency, or scoring 40 points like most analysts or experts believe you're capable of. This was, as you and others have pointed out, mostly a great defensive showcase and battle in the trenches, and yet Mahomes still found a way to throw for over 350 yards and 2 TD's, and ran for 66 yards. He excelled and was so dominant at doing the little things his team needed to him to be capable of reaching, which finally lead to the game-winning score in OT.

Purdy is a very good game-manager and he has shown some flashes here and there, like vs. Detroit in the NFCCG, of putting the team on his back and finding a way to win a close game, albeit helped and assisted by some questionable, idiotic calls made by Lions HC Dan Campbell. But, you have to show consistency in this regard and Purdy hasnt been around long enough or is unable to ultra-clutch in key moments in big games. He's got an excellent supporting cast and as long as they remain (CDMC, Kittle, Samuel, Aiyuk, good shout defense) he'll continue to look like a perennial Pro-Bowl until he plays that great, excellent defense who'll contain all of his little toys and reveal him to be what he truly is.

Sure there is no doubt that a scheme doesn't fix everything. You still need a QB that can execute the scheme and sometimes do some off schedule stuff to be really good. And, it also helps to have players around that QB that are really good.

But, some schemes make things easier on the QB than others. Our scheme the last few years has just made every snap look hard. No mismatches almost no really open receivers unless it was an amazing route or amazing speed. So hopefully the new scheme can help that. But, it's not going to fix everything. Even the best scheme needs an OL that blocks well, a QB that executes the offense right and play makers that make plays.
Agreed 100%. The crazy thing is we witness 2 of the most QB friendly schemes the NFL has ever seen on display tonight. These defenses just weren't no joke tonight.
QB play has gone down and I don't believe that it is coincidence. Tom Brady validated something that I've been saying for a while; it is less about the skill that the QB possess and more about scheming/system. The defenses are catching up and it is going to get to a point to where legitimate QB skill will be required again..lol.

LOL...Mahomes was mediocre all game and he has been mediocre all season. Trust me, I'm not on the "Brock Purdy is the greatest thing ever" but I'm also not going to turn a blind eye to the one that everyone is trying to call the best ever after tonight's win being the beneficiary of the system. This lost was more on coaching and that 3rd down rush than anything. Mahomes did what he had to that last drive and can't take that away from him to that dude wasn't playing lights out tonight.

When did I say Mahomes was playing lights out tonight?

Yes, Mahomes was average tonight, but he made some plays when it counted. And, I didn't say that Mahomes played a even a good game tonight. But, he still managed to make some plays with this feet and some good throws. Plays that Purdy didn't make and likely isn't going to make.

The game came down to defense and a few plays either way, including a blocked extra point that really changed the game and how it was played and a muffed punt.

Patrick Mahomes had won 3 Super Bowls, and played in 4 overall through his career because he's capable of doing and excelling in a lot of the "little things" during games and post-season games so well like converting key 3rd and 4th down plays late in-games and like on 4th and 1 and elevating your skill set to another level even when your offense isn't operating at 110% efficiency, or scoring 40 points like most analysts or experts believe you're capable of. This was, as you and others have pointed out, mostly a great defensive showcase and battle in the trenches, and yet Mahomes still found a way to throw for over 350 yards and 2 TD's, and ran for 66 yards. He excelled and was so dominant at doing the little things his team needed to him to be capable of reaching, which finally lead to the game-winning score in OT.

Purdy is a very good game-manager and he has shown some flashes here and there, like vs. Detroit in the NFCCG, of putting the team on his back and finding a way to win a close game, albeit helped and assisted by some questionable, idiotic calls made by Lions HC Dan Campbell. But, you have to show consistency in this regard and Purdy hasnt been around long enough or is unable to ultra-clutch in key moments in big games. He's got an excellent supporting cast and as long as they remain (CDMC, Kittle, Samuel, Aiyuk, good shout defense) he'll continue to look like a perennial Pro-Bowl until he plays that great, excellent defense who'll contain all of his little toys and reveal him to be what he truly is.
Christian McCaffrey, Kittle, Warner,Bosa and Trent Williams are among the highest paid at their
position. The Niners won't be able to keep them all once Purdy is not under a rookie contract.

Some guys that are that smart, out think themselves when they have too much time to prepare.
Or they get big or sizable leads, they decide to go conversative a bit too earlier then they should and then the game somehow, very quickly goes out of their control and they end up losing relatively close games because they couldn't close it when they had the leads.

Shanahan is one of this game's smartest,creative HC's but he had the same problem that a younger Eagles-HC Andy Reid once had about 20 years ago in that he struggles to close games against good or great teams in the big moments. Like Reid, IMHO, Shanahan will evolve eventually but its a sharp, painful learning process thats agonizing to go through.

San Francisco couldn't win the game in overtime just by scoring a TD. The new playoff OT rules guarantee both offenses a possession. It would have put more pressure on KC, because they would have had to score a TD not to lose, but it wouldn't have won the game for the 49'ers.
I don't like the new rule. I still a version of the college OT would be best

When did I say Mahomes was playing lights out tonight?

Yes, Mahomes was average tonight, but he made some plays when it counted. And, I didn't say that Mahomes played a even a good game tonight. But, he still managed to make some plays with this feet and some good throws. Plays that Purdy didn't make and likely isn't going to make.

The game came down to defense and a few plays either way, including a blocked extra point that really changed the game and how it was played and a muffed punt.
I didn't say that you did; I just said that he didn't. And if you are saying that Purdy didn't make and likely isn't to, did you watch the NFC Championship. If we are being totally honest, nothing that Mahomes did tonight blows away what he did during the NFC Championship; only the stage. And if Chris Jones didn't rumble through the O-line as fast as he did, a lot of what we are saying wouldn't even be in place.

I agree 100% with your last sentence. Mahomes did what he had to but nothing he did was "game changing." The muffed punt gave me a bad feeling the moment it happened.

Christian McCaffrey, Kittle, Warner,Bosa and Trent Williams are among the highest paid at their
position. The Niners won't be able to keep them all once Purdy is not under a rookie contract.
Yeah but he has 2 more yrs on that contract

Yep. I hope they end up paying him like a top 5 QB because he's a guy that needs help around him and they won't be able to afford it if he gets a big contract.

I didn't say that you did; I just said that he didn't. And if you are saying that Purdy didn't make and likely isn't to, did you watch the NFC Championship. If we are being totally honest, nothing that Mahomes did tonight blows away what he did during the NFC Championship; only the stage. And if Chris Jones didn't rumble through the O-line as fast as he did, a lot of what we are saying wouldn't even be in place.

I agree 100% with your last sentence. Mahomes did what he had to but nothing he did was "game changing." The muffed punt gave me a bad feeling the moment it happened.

I mean every QB makes a play every now and then and it's magnified in a playoff game. So sure Purdy is going to occasionally make plays but he's an average mid-level QB. He's basically Cousins or Carr who also both occasionally make plays but not consistently enough to be upper level QBs. As far as Mahomes, he like every other QB, is somewhat a product of the system they are in, but he does have the ability to make plays outside of the plan that separates him. He didn't really do that tonight and hasn't a lot this year, but he's certainly shown he is capable of it and part of that this year was a decision by Reid to stop being so aggressive on offense and going for the big play when he had a very good defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom