In defense of Winston ( gulp ) (1 Viewer)

First let me ask a question, Olave was brilliant yesterday, but how is it fair to give none of the credit to Winston?, he did make some excellent throws to him
Went for over 350 yards, made two 3rd downs with good throws that were called back by dubious flags
Got us in to scoring position twice but we missed what should have been easy field goals, another drive killed by a fumble, another by 2 false starts
All in all l thought he played okay yesterday, much better than the previous 2 weeks
Still relieved we did not get Watson, or even Wilson, either one would have killed our future , even glad we did not get Jimmy G, considering our options at the start of the season l still think we made the right and only choice
As he starts to get healthier l do think he will get better, also tough for any quarterback to start with 3 division games in a row
Am not ready to throw in the towel just yet
I’m sorry but at this point that part in bold is just a completely baffling thing to say. We’ve reached the point where Winston cannot diagnose where pressure is going to come from on undisguised blitzes. Everything his predecessor was good at, Winston is bad at and as a result he can’t run this offense. He is doing just about nothing of use apart from heaving it deep to Olave.

BLUF: Bottom line up front: Winston can't manage the offense

There are way to many solid players in this system for the offense to perform this poorly every game. Saints could easily be 0-3 at the moment.
1. Can't sustain a drive.
2. Too many 3 and outs
3. Winston struggles with reading the defense

Is this offense too complicated for him? He's been in the league long enough so the excuses are running out. It's time to raise the red flag on this QB project.

You do realize we win the last 2 games if we make the field goals and don't fumble the ball on the way into the end zone, right?

The same could probably be said if Jameis made correct reads, hit open receivers, and didn’t throw interceptions.

Yes, sir, but we can't overlook that there are multiple reasons for failure here.

Oh, and he made the reads and the throws and took the punishment to get us to the red zone before Ingram and Kamarra coughed up touchdowns and to the place where we were set to kick the field goals.

Winston hasn't had half a dozen drive killing pre-snap penalties or whiffed blocks.

He's been ok at best, but ok would have been fine if the rest of them weren't bad.

That’s exactly why we didn’t go for 2 on that touchdown. So people like you and DA could say “we only lost by one score.”
Proof? I think you are missing the point. The most we were down was what 13 points at the half? Maybe just maybe, the coaching staff wanted to make it a one score game, then tie it with a two point conversion and go to OT. But stay with the stupid conspiracy theories…

You do realize we win the last 2 games if we make the field goals and don't fumble the ball on the way into the end zone, right?
Good teams find ways to win also. There is something wrong with the Saints offense at the moment. Most teams progress as the season goes on. This is not happening. Yesterday was a regression.

First let me ask a question, Olave was brilliant yesterday, but how is it fair to give none of the credit to Winston?, he did make some excellent throws to him
Went for over 350 yards, made two 3rd downs with good throws that were called back by dubious flags
Got us in to scoring position twice but we missed what should have been easy field goals, another drive killed by a fumble, another by 2 false starts
All in all l thought he played okay yesterday, much better than the previous 2 weeks
Still relieved we did not get Watson, or even Wilson, either one would have killed our future , even glad we did not get Jimmy G, considering our options at the start of the season l still think we made the right and only choice
As he starts to get healthier l do think he will get better, also tough for any quarterback to start with 3 division games in a row
Am not ready to throw in the towel just yet
i agree with you.But this team is a hard pill to swallow after the sean payton& Drew Brees era

It doesn’t but when he had 5 touchdowns vs Green Bay all everyone talked about is how he didn’t throw such and such yards

I think what people are seeing is that he hasn't had that kind of complete game that inspires hope and gives him, and the offense, something to build on. I didn't really have complaints about his performance last season because I took it as steps in the process and was overall pleased. He was being careful with the football, didn't have a great supporting cast to work with, and the offense was doing enough to play complementary football and contribute to wins.

But add in the first three games of this season, and a bigger picture is forming where he's yet to really put together a complete game; converting on thirds downs, scoring, protecting the ball, keeping drives alive, racking up yards and so on. We get some of that but not all of it in any given week, and this season, it's mostly been poor.

I don't think it's entirely on him, and those who are quick to bash Jameis are as wrong in their takes as they believe those defending him are, but there are clearly some issues with his game, whatever is causing that. The injuries this season are another setback, and he hasn't played a lot of football in the last three years, but after three games, there's nothing to really note any progression and that's concerning.

I love when I see people say, "He had some parts of the game he looked really good...".

When teams start playing zone and shell coverages because they either have the lead or are scared Olave is going on a 9, he looks pretty good. He doesn't do well operating under center. He absolutely panics when he gets under pressure. I watched yesterday's game three times (once is all 22..) and there is plenty of blame to go around. Trevor Penning needs to come take Hurst's job. That would improve the running game instantly.

Proof? I think you are missing the point. The most we were down was what 13 points at the half? Maybe just maybe, the coaching staff wanted to make it a one score game, then tie it with a two point conversion and go to OT. But stay with the stupid conspiracy theories…

It’s best to get the 2 pt conversion first that way you know if it’s a one possession or two possession game. When coaches put off the 2 pt conversion for a future td that may never happen, they’re setting themselves up to say it was just a one score loss.

I have to believe that it's due to injuries. While not exactly lighting it up at the beginning of last year, he was playing the best football of his career with a low INT rate until he got hurt. We also had guys off the street at receiver. We are missing Payton more than anyone realized. All I see is undisciplined play from the offense when that was never the issue before. PC is not the answer.
injury doesnt affect you calling out protection changes pre snap when you see the LB's flinching before the snap

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom