K Wil Lutz traded to the Broncos for a 2024 7th round pick (2 Viewers)

If you ever had "Da Bomb" you would wish you were just eating raw crow...

Grupe has looked great, but the main thing that worries me is that he wasn't that great in college. I don't know if he's made some adjustments to his kicking style, but it is hard to change that muscle memory.
When your in college, you have school and friends and just busy-busy. When your a pro and that’s what you do to earn your keep, you might find yourself on a football field kicking for eight hours a day, days on end. Do you not think your going to improve if this is now pretty much your circle of life.

For a 7th? Once again Broncos get the best of Loomis. What's next?
Would you preferred they cut him and gotten nothing and he still ended up a Bronco?

Because that was the other option.

Unless you think carrying two placekickers makes sense to a team that has depth issues at OL and LB.

DA will ruin this team and we will lose a horrible division smfh.
I'm still not on the DA train...but he's been decent at recognizing talent so far. Last year, Lutz did not look good. Even the kicks he was hitting they looked like they could have been 50/50. Hasn't looked right since that groin injury.

College isnt a good use of statistics to project NFL success since the college kickers aren't usually refined in terms of techniques and training. A lot of good college kickers flame out for this very reason and a lot of small school kickers end up making huge jumps to the NFL game once they refine their techniques.
I don’t know how else to assess kickers for the draft or their potential than their performance in college. There are a few of the top 10 NFL kickers that are also among the top college kickers ever, such as Carlson (78th), Gay (11th), and Forbath (26th), Gostkowski (215th). It seems most of the great kickers had several seasons in the upper 80s, but Grupe was up an down throughout college. He went from 66.7 to 86.4, to 61.1 to 80 to 73.7. I just hope he has gotten more consistent. Maybe he'll deliver something in the 80s based on his trend. However, if Grupe starts messing up, then I would try to persuade Daniel Gutierrez, the UNLV kicker, to come kick for the Saints. His stats are insane! He's gone from 78.6 to 83.3 to 88.9 to 94.7 last year. He's the 12th best kicker ever in college. Also, he's 5'11, 220, so if he had to tackle someone, he'd probably survive. The last listed kicker was 244th, and Grupe didn't make the best ever list.

I was on a Saints live stream yesterday and basically called this. I responded in the chat that whichever kicker we cut, Payton was going to scoop up because there's no way he's sold on Maher. I honestly thought it would be Grupe tho. There are 30 other teams in the league, but our old coach is keeping a close eye on this teams. I'm sure there are still a few players he wants from us.

There is a lot of drama over a kicker who's best years are 3-4 years ago. Good luck to him, but it was time for a change. For him and the Saints. I look forward to see what we have in Grupe. Personally, I think (understanding that isn't worth a dang thing) we do no worse than if we had kept Lutz. We got younger and cheaper.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom