K Wil Lutz traded to the Broncos for a 2024 7th round pick (1 Viewer)

Even though Grupe looks like a 7th grader, he’s got a strong leg and seems to have some Big D Energy

Pause GIFs | Tenor

He was worth minimum a 3rd. Unless you strike gold a 7 rounder might not even make the team. Dumb move
There is absolutely no way any kicker would get a 3rd round pick in trade. And Lutz was coming off his career worst season.

I said this in another thread, but All-Pro CB Jalen Ramsey went for a 3rd. No team in their right mind would ever give up anything beyond a late rounder for any kicker.

I’m shocked they actually made this decision. I’m not saying I don’t agree with it, but just didn’t see them having the guts to do it!

I absolutely think it factored into the decision. If they thought Lutz would return to 2018-19 regular season form AND had 2-3 years left on his deal, they probably keep him. If they have even minor concerns about the former knowing he has 1 year left on his deal AND we can get something (even if it's minimal) in return, then yeah, that all certainly factors in.

One thing that is odd about this preseason. There have now been THREE trades for kickers, something that almost never happened before (CLE traded for Hopkins and TEN traded for Folk).
The Patriots were involved with another trade involving Nick Folk.

I believe DA made the right choice!

But I have one, and ONLY one concern about going with Grupe: He’s got an extremely small frame, and he’ll be a marked man by Komikaze players of our opponents! 😳

:gosaints:

There have been other kickers of similar size, such as Jake Elliot. It’s a non-factor and shouldn’t be a concern when selecting a kicker, at all.

He’s no more or less susceptible to an intentional attack by the far more superior athletes on the field with him than Wil Lutz is.

When Grupe miss a game winning field goal we’re going to be pointing fingers
Frankly, fingers would have been pointing if we kept Lutz and he was the one who missed a game winning kick. Then everyone would have been whining that we should have kept Grupe. You just gotta dance with the date you brought. We can only hope that our choice doesn't cost us a critical game. But no one can know for sure what the future will be for either of these kickers. DA had reasons to feel like Grupe was the best move for us at this time. I was going to support whichever guy got the gig. So... Geaux Grupe! :9:

There have been other kickers of similar size, such as Jake Elliot. It’s a non-factor and shouldn’t be a concern when selecting a kicker, at all.

He’s no more or less susceptible to an intentional attack by the far more superior athletes on the field with him than Wil Lutz is.
Right, Morstead was a big enough dude that he could withstand some contact but most kickers are not (there a few exceptions but they are the exceptions).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom