Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Interested?
========================================================

Wax on, again.

Three decades after The Karate Kid, original stars Ralph Macchio and William Zabka are heading back to the dojo. The duo are set to reprise their roles as underdog Daniel LaRusso (Macchio) and bully Johnny Lawrence (Zabka) in a 10-episode straight-to-series follow-up called*Cobra Kai for subscription service YouTube Red.*

The series, set to bow in 2018, is set 30 years after the events of the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament and revolves around a down and out Johnny who, seeking redemption, reopens the infamous Cobra Kai dojo.

It reignites his rivalry with a now-successful Daniel, who has been struggling to maintain balance in his life without the guidance of his mentor, Mr. Miyagi (the late Pat Morita).

The half-hour comedy follows the duo addressing demons from their past and present frustrations - through (what else?) karate...................

'Karate Kid' TV Sequel, Starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka, a Go at YouTube Red (Exclusive)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I saw this yesterday and want this out NOW. I remember the early descriptions being something of a comedy, but this doesn't look too much on the comedic side. It looks like it is on the side of "this is going to be awesome."

OP
OP
Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta say, I'm more interested in this now

I would worry that Danny and Johnny end up being minor characters and it focuses on the kids

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d2_2oCRPrjM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Youtube Red already has my money in their pocket whenever this comes out. I just hope that it does well enough to warrant a second season. Now, I just need a release date....and please let it be sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iIaVdlcDRA0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xCwwxNbtK6Y" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Testing, testing. :)

OP
OP
Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What made Karate Kid work wasn't the rivalry between Daniel and Johnny or the drama between Daniel and Elizabeth Shue

It was the relationship and chemistry between Daniel and Mr. Miyagi

That's what carried one classic movie, one okay sequel and one terrible sequel

Even though I'm much more interested than I thought I would be no Miyagi is a huge void

Side Note - Isn't Daniel kind of like Terry Silver in that terrible 3rd movie?

Super successful businessman way too invested in teenaged karate "Bringing back Cobra Kai? Not on my watch!"

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What made Karate Kid work wasn't the rivalry between Daniel and Johnny or the drama between Daniel and Elizabeth Shue

It was the relationship and chemistry between Daniel and Mr. Miyagi

That's what carried one classic movie, one okay sequel and one terrible sequel

Even though I'm much more interested than I thought I would be no Miyagi is a huge void

Side Note - Isn't Daniel kind of like Terry Silver in that terrible 3rd movie?

Super successful businessman way too invested in teenaged karate "Bringing back Cobra Kai? Not on my watch!"
Yes, no Miyagi is going to be tough. I'm going to try to watch this from the point of view of someone who hasn't seen the movies. I'm rather intrigued to see how they're going to play this with Johnny and the Cobras as the focus.

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just a head's up....

You might want to check your local theater. There's a Fathom Events showing of the Karate Kid and the first two episodes of Cobra Kai tonight at select theaters. I've seen the movie countless times, but never on the big screen, so I think I'll catch this showing.

saintsfan342000

The Voice of Reason
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from it. Great to see KK on the big screen. And Cobra Kai? Not bad! Looking forward to the rest.

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from it. Great to see KK on the big screen. And Cobra Kai? Not bad! Looking forward to the rest.
Agreed. The first two episodes of Cobra Kai manage to pay tribute to the original without making it seem like a carbon copy, money-grab ripoff. There's quite a bit going on with role reversals of the characters compared to the movie and then we get the kids involved. The production quality is solid as can be. I can't wait to see the rest of the season!

2009ring

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
O
M
G

Just binge watched the entire 10 episodes during my commute yesterday and this morning.

I thought this was great! A lot of throw back stuff, but it was mixed up in a way that made it new and different.

You get to see a lot of things from Johnny's point of view and as it turns out he's not a complete turd after all.

TheMike62987

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
SPOILER

OK so the opening montage of the show is a recap of the final fight between Daniel and Johnny that goes through each point they had in the final match. Johnny sores his first point via a kick to the face, but later says it was an illegal kick that Daniel won the match with while in the car dealership. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Aside from that I'm enjoying the show quite a bit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Zack Lee Everything Else Board 1

Headlines

Top Bottom