Votes: 684 87.7%
  • Yes, but only medically

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • No, but the marijuana laws should be relaxed

Votes: 24 3.1%
  • No, it should remain illegal.

Votes: 45 5.8%

• Total voters
Athletes Free to Embrace CBD After WADA Decision - But There's a Catch -- CFN Media

While CBD will be permitted next year, the WADA notes that CBD extracted from the cannabis plant may also contain varying concentrations of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which remains a prohibited substance. This means that athletes will need to exercise extreme caution when taking CBD products to ensure that they contain zero trace of THC. Extensive drug testing will be in place to ensure that there are no trace amounts of the banned psychoactive cannabinoid.

In 2015, the WADA tested over 300,000 athletes worldwide with around 4% showing signs of cannabinoids in their system, which under previous regulations included CBD and would automatically disqualify any athlete testing positive. Under the new regulations, even trace amounts of THC could disqualify athletes, which makes it important to ensure that any CBD products consumed contain absolutely no THC content.

Marijuana legalization in Colorado led to a “reversal” of opiate overdose deaths in that state, according to new research published in the American Journal of Public Health.

“After Colorado’s legalization of recreational cannabis sale and use, opioid-related deaths decreased more than 6% in the following 2 years,” write authors Melvin D. Livingston, Tracey E. Barnett, Chris Delcher and Alexander C. Wagenaar.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...study-finds/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.1162d4717d91

My guess is that Jeff Sessions won't be too big a fan of this study, but then again, since when did anyone in the current administration let facts get in the way of their agenda?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...study-finds/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.1162d4717d91

My guess is that Jeff Sessions won't be too big a fan of this study, but then again, since when did anyone in the current administration let facts get in the way of their agenda?

That’s the usual for places that legalize it. Cops and politicians trip about how bad drug usage will get, but time and time again hard drug use goes down when weed is legalized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not Jeff Sessions job to analyze a study. Congress makes laws. Justice Dept enforces. Sessions should push for enforcement of all laws set by congress. I say this as someone who now thinks it should be legal. Don’t blame Sessions for doing his job. That’s not a place we want to go. Who knows what the next AG might decide is “ ok”.

It’s not Jeff Sessions job to analyze a study. Congress makes laws. Justice Dept enforces. Sessions should push for enforcement of all laws set by congress. I say this as someone who now thinks it should be legal. Don’t blame Sessions for doing his job. That’s not a place we want to go. Who knows what the next AG might decide is “ ok”.

Except he is one of the biggest refer madness people in the government right now. On top of him trying to impose the federal law on states where Mary Jane is legal yet he is a conservative which harp on small government. **** that dude.

It's far more nuanced than that - the prior position never said that the activity was legally "ok".

It was an analysis based on the agency's prosecutorial practices in light of state law that is otherwise valid but for the federal drug law. The FBI wasn't involved in law enforcement work for the vast majority of possible implications of the state laws in question.

Every single prosecutor's office in the country, from the local city attorney, to the state DA, to the state BI, to the federal USAO, to the FBI has to make resource-based determinations of prosecutorial practice. It literally happens every day in this country.

It's far more nuanced than that - the prior position never said that the activity was legally "ok".

It was an analysis based on the agency's prosecutorial practices in light of state law that is otherwise valid but for the federal drug law. The FBI wasn't involved in law enforcement work for the vast majority of possible implications of the state laws in question.

Every single prosecutor's office in the country, from the local city attorney, to the state DA, to the state BI, to the federal USAO, to the FBI has to make resource-based determinations of prosecutorial practice. It literally happens every day in this country.

You do not want to live in a country where all of the laws are maximally enforced all of the time.

That turd was here yesterday speaking to law enforcement.

We have a serious prison overcrowding situation and we, the voters passed two referendums last year. One to lessen the penalties for weed and other non violent crimes. The other to provide support for mental health issues related to crimes etc.

Jeffy don't like dat. It makes too much sense. There are some legislators here trying to figure out a way to not enact this two pieces after we voted for them. Sessions is in favor of reducing crime, all crime by continuing to fill the prisons and not get these people any help. He really likes that three strike law and maximum penalties for all offenses as far as I can tell.

Remember you can still get a year in jail for first offense possession of weed and ten years for a second count of simple possession. Also, they can take away your carry permit if you are convicted of having a single joint. Backasswards state this one is.

So Jeffy just go away.

He is truly a menace to our society.

You do not want to live in a country where all of the laws are maximally enforced all of the time.

Indeed. To be fair, I don't disagree with Krushing's point that it isn't Sessions's job to rewrite the federal drug laws. But I think the previous administration's position operated within a reasonable zone of prosecutorial discretion. Sessions certainly has the prerogative to revisit that view. But he clearly has an animus against marijuana that is informed by a mid-1950's mentality.

If he were to simply say, we believe the previous administration's view was more liberal in its prosecutorial discretion than we are going to be, then fine. But his "reefer madness" speeches are just from another time. If he's going to be tough on drugs, go after the ones that matter. And for God's sake, do something about pharma and the opioid epidemic . . . of course, he's not going to because his own prosecutorial discretion tends to favor business lobbies that are cozy with law enforcement.

It costs taxpayers over $30,000 a year for each prisoner in this country, and Sessions has been very clear that he wants to increase our prison population. Call me crazy, but I'd rather not see my tax money have to pay for incarcerating people for marijuana, especially living in a state that has seen huge benefits from legalizing it.

That’s the usual for places that legalize it. Cops and politicians trip about how bad drug usage will get, but time and time again hard drug use goes down when weed is legalized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading about the prison gerrymandering, I bet there's a certain party terrified of not being able to lock up massive numbers of certain individuals.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-next-15-states-legalize-marijuana/860502001/

2. Arkansas

Possession decriminalized: No
Amount decriminalized: N/A
Max. fine for less than 4 oz.: $2,500
Annual adult usage: 11.3% (16th lowest)
As a ballot initiative state, the likelihood of Arkansas legalizing recreational marijuana use is considerably higher than that of most other states. Voters in the state recently approved Issue 6 by a 53.2% to 46.8% margin, allowing the use of medical marijuana with doctor approval for the first time. The new law may be a sign of progress for proponents of legalization, as voters in the state struck down a similar proposition as recently as 2012.

Still, the state has several potential hurdles to clear before full legalization is reality. Many voters in Arkansas may not be open to the idea of legalization, as just an estimated 11.3% of state adults 18 and older have used marijuana in the past year, a smaller share than in most states. Additionally, those caught in possession of any amount without doctor approval can face a misdemeanor, one year in jail, and a $2,500 fine.

5. Florida

Possession decriminalized: No
Amount decriminalized: N/A
Max. fine for 20 g. or less: $1,000
Annual adult usage: 12.1% (24th lowest)
So far, every state to have legalized recreational marijuana use did so through a voter proposed ballot initiative. In November 2016, Sunshine State residents voted by a wide 71.3% to 28.7% margin to legalize medical marijuana use. Passage of the law, known as Amendment 2, means that patients suffering from a range of conditions, including Parkinson’s disease, PTSD, and glaucoma, can legally obtain and possess marijuana with a doctor’s approval.

Despite the recent constitutional amendment that suggests growing acceptance of marijuana use in Florida, recreational users in the state still face serious legal consequences. Those caught with 20 grams or less of the drug face misdemeanor charges, up to a year in jail, and fines as high as $1,000. Still, as a ballot initiative state, legalization could happen much faster in Florida than in states that do not allow voter-sponsored ballot initiatives.

FWIW, I think the list is alphabetical and not ranked by probability.

Interesting list. If Fla and Ark manage, I can see that as a big time shift since they'd be the first states in the South. Ark. is especially interesting given their close proximity to La and Tx. Tx. was close to decriminalizing a few years back so with a connected border they might just decide to go ahead and start collecting taxes on it. La. will fight to the bitter end I'm sure, but with so many paths from Ark, the cops will be in a losing battle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom