Maybe Jon Gruden ends up being Saints HC? (38 Viewers)

You fire everyone. You go get Ben Johnson, Slowik, and Joe Brady, Vrabel would be the only retread. The only in house hire I would consider is Rizzi. I would try to lure Dabo Swinney from Clemson since he is opposed to NIL.

I see rumblings that Jacksonville may be firing their coach this year. What do you think about him ? He is a Louisiana Native and won a SB.
He got fired a year or two after winning a super bowl in Philly, and his time in Jacksonville hasn’t been good. I didn’t want him before Jacksonville hired him, and I don’t want him now.

How many coaches have took a full decade away from the league and come back period though? That sample size has to be fairly miniscule.

In fact, off the top of my head, Gruden and Vermeil are about the only two I can think of.

Joe Gibbs was 30-34 during his comeback as well. Also, the expectation with most things is that a long time away makes you rusty. The burden of proof on this one isn't on proving they'll be good, it's on proving they'll be good.

Joe Gibbs was 30-34 during his comeback as well. Also, the expectation with most things is that a long time away makes you rusty. The burden of proof on this one isn't on proving they'll be good, it's on proving they'll be good.

BREAKING NEWS: 2 of 3 hired NFL head coaches got jobs, eventually failed and got fired. 😱

I think Gruden's time in the NFL has passed. He's only had 6 winning seasons out of 15 and the last one was at Tampa Bay in 2008 (9-7). He was far better in the booth than he ever was on the sidelines.

Gruden's living off his name and a Super Bowl from 20 years ago. He's barely over .500 for his career, I really don't get the obsession with this guy
Because his players love him and they play hard. Name 1 time that a Gruden team just bailed out and quit on a game. We saw this twice in 2 weeks. KC game from the jump and the second half vs TB (after Rattlers 1st pick) You need a strong personality and a motivator as HC and workman like coordinators. KK is the perfect OC, i don't see him as a HC, at least not yet.

I think Gruden's time in the NFL has passed. He's only had 6 winning seasons out of 15 and the last one was at Tampa Bay in 2008 (9-7). He was far better in the booth than he ever was on the sidelines.

That’s fair but I think sometimes coaches are mired in un-winnable situations, whether it’s bad personnel decisions, organizational dysfunction, and/or poor ownership.

The Raiders are one of those perpetual losing teams virtually everyone is destined to fail at. There is a reason Bill Parcells warned Sean Payton not to take their HC offer. It’s a coaching graveyard organization, especially now that the son is in charge.

Because his players love him and they play hard. Name 1 time that a Gruden team just bailed out and quit on a game. We saw this twice in 2 weeks. KC game from the jump and the second half vs TB (after Rattlers 1st pick) You need a strong personality and a motivator as HC and workman like coordinators. KK is the perfect OC, i don't see him as a HC, at least not yet.
And this a quality unique to Gruden? We have to go dumpster diving for some washed up coach for this one trait? Please.

You fire everyone. You go get Ben Johnson, Slowik, and Joe Brady, Vrabel would be the only retread. The only in house hire I would consider is Rizzi. I would try to lure Dabo Swinney from Clemson since he is opposed to NIL.

The rest are interesting but I want no part of Dabo Swinney.

I'd be happy with giving Gruden his chance at redemption. I think the guy is not a racist, made a careless mistake that got force-fed to the public by the media as a "racist gesture," and deserves another chance.

Is he a perfect coach? Hell no. But he and his style may be what this team needs. My only thing is I'd hope he's learned some of the new offensive concepts the league has had implemented, and adds them to his repertoire.

I guess my issue with that is that it doesn't matter if Gruden is actually racist or not. If players think he is or think he might be hiding it, they aren't going to want to play for him. And that will lead to issues getting free agents and in getting players to want to give their all for him.

But even if that isn't true, his record in his last stint with the Raiders shows the game has passed him by and he is now a below average HC. And I doubt that gets better by him being out of the coaching game for 4 or 5 years.

I just think we should shoot higher even if that means taking a chance on an unknown that might not be your first choice. We know what Gruden is at this point but a new coach untested HC could be anything. Even a boat . . . I mean even the next Payton.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom