Maybe Jon Gruden ends up being Saints HC? (39 Viewers)

I guess my issue with that is that it doesn't matter if Gruden is actually racist or not. If players think he is or think he might be hiding it, they aren't going to want to play for him. And that will lead to issues getting free agents and in getting players to want to give their all for him.

But even if that isn't true, his record in his last stint with the Raiders shows the game has passed him by and he is now a below average HC. And I doubt that gets better by him being out of the coaching game for 4 or 5 years.

I just think we should shoot higher even if that means taking a chance on an unknown that might not be your first choice. We know what Gruden is at this point but a new coach untested HC could be anything. Even a boat . . . I mean even the next Payton.

I think if players thought something as explosive as that, we would have heard some public chirping from our guys during 1 of the 3 or 4 times he’s been asked to work our camp practices. At a minimal, the internal chirping would have been so loud and controversial that Gruden would not have been asked back after the first time.

I think if players thought something as explosive as that, we would have heard some public chirping from our guys during 1 of the 3 or 4 times he’s been asked to work our camp practices. At a minimal, the internal chirping would have been so loud and controversial that Gruden would not have been asked back after the first time.

I seem to recall Underhill mentioning that it was a touchy situation but as long as it was just as a consultant the players could live with it. And a guy coming in as a consultant is a lot different than him being your HC. And you never know how many players weren't going to make waves when they were already on the team but might choose not to sign here if he was HC.

And I'm not just talking about players on our team now. You don't want a HC where there is any percentage of players who would not play for him because they think he could be a racist.

And there is no point in taking that chance when he's proven to be at best a mediocre coach since coming back in 2018. If he was the NFL version of Nick Saban maybe it's worth taking the chance, but he's not that guy. Not anymore.

I think there are just multiple better options than him and even keeping Rizzi as HC would be better. But I do want them to clean house and start over with some young new minds.

I seem to recall Underhill mentioning that it was a touchy situation but as long as it was just as a consultant the players could live with it. And a guy coming in as a consultant is a lot different than him being your HC. And you never know how many players weren't going to make waves when they were already on the team but might choose not to sign here if he was HC.

And I'm not just talking about players on our team now. You don't want a HC where there is any percentage of players who would not play for him because they think he could be a racist.

And there is no point in taking that chance when he's proven to be at best a mediocre coach since coming back in 2018. If he was the NFL version of Nick Saban maybe it's worth taking the chance, but he's not that guy. Not anymore.

I think there are just multiple better options than him and even keeping Rizzi as HC would be better. But I do want them to clean house and start over with some young new minds.

Fair points.

And yes, I do advocate Rizzi being our head coach. Been feeling that way for awhile now.

Give me Ben Johnson as HC, keep the offensive staff in place if he agrees, and bring in Salah at DC
What has the offensive staff showed, other than the inability to make in-game adjustments?

It was all glorious when they played the hapless Panthers and Cowboys (who just took a 47-9 beatdown from the Lions in Dallas). But lose 2 players and crumble like that? And that freaking Kamara run through the middle for no yards...

I just don't get some of yall. You already know that the NFL Front Office/Commissioner operates with malice when it has an axe to grind against a particular person or organization, but you want to hire a HC that called the Commsioner of the NFL a f* and you're expecting what in terms of results from a team lead by him?

You think that they'll ever be a moment where Gruden is getting handed a Lombardi by Goodell? GTHUOH

You let your HC choose his staff. Anything else is a recipe for failure.
Hence why I said if he agrees.
What has the offensive staff showed, other than the inability to make in-game adjustments?

It was all glorious when they played the hapless Panthers and Cowboys (who just took a 47-9 beatdown from the Lions in Dallas). But lose 2 players and crumble like that? And that freaking Kamara run through the middle for no yards...
We are still putting up points despite having probably the most injured offense in the NFL. You would also be bringing in Ben who is an offensive coach, so that’s adding more to the offensive side of the ball. The goal for me in doing that is to try to keep continuity with a young QB in Rattler, but as stated above, only if Ben is on board with it.

Hence why I said if he agrees.

We are still putting up points despite having probably the most injured offense in the NFL. You would also be bringing in Ben who is an offensive coach, so that’s adding more to the offensive side of the ball. The goal for me in doing that is to try to keep continuity with a young QB in Rattler, but as stated above, only if Ben is on board with it.

The thing is that I think Kubiak is a solid OC but not someone who is irreplaceable. I think he's still very much so the same guy he was when he was the Vikings OC. He just seemed better than he is because we are comparing him to Pete who was not running a modern offense.

Of course I also don't want Gruden.

I think if you want to develop Rattler you go with a young offensive head coach who has developed young QBs in the past and runs a similar system. i.e. Ben Johnson or Slowik. And I'm sure there are other young guys in the McVay/Shanahan/Kubiak tree that would either work as HCs or OCs under a defensive head coach.

The truth is that we don't really know if Kubiak can develop a young QB. But we do know that Johnson did a good job rebuilding Goff and Slowik did a good job with Stroud.

Last edited:
And this a quality unique to Gruden? We have to go dumpster diving for some washed up coach for this one trait? Please.
Congrats, you've earned my fist Clown. I cant even comment because your post is just ridiculous.

Congrats, you've earned my fist Clown. I cant even comment because your post is just ridiculous.
Perhaps if this is the extent of your insight you should reflect on your stance. Your argument is basically "Gruden says rah rah rah and that's why we should hire him". Pointing out he's not the only coach who offers this trait is not some ridiculous concept.

I agree with you about up and comer. But I’m not sure we’ll be able to attract one…..with the exception of Klint Kubiak. Which is why we might see Allen let go later in the season and the interim job given to Kubiak. Get some on the job training.
Who do we have who can run the defense?

My desire is let DA go and move KK to head coach and bring in Seleigh in to run the defense then chose a new coach next year with both those guys getting shots!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom