Mike Tanier criticising Loomis' cap management again (2 Viewers)

We would obviously. Many think the Cowboys would be the obvious choice, but I would like to think that there would be other suitors.

Pretty much any one that fires their coach is going to be interested. The problem is I don't see Payton really being interested in any of them other than the Cowboys. Maybe Arizona? Or Kansas City if Andy Reid decides to walk away.

Pretty much any one that fires their coach is going to be interested. The problem is I don't see Payton really being interested in any of them other than the Cowboys. Maybe Arizona? Or Kansas City if Andy Reid decides to walk away.
I could see SP being interested in many teams with a good roster that includes a great QB. Those situations would be alluring for sure. However I can see real desperate teams jumping in, including Houston. Yep, I said Houston. That owner would give SP full control over everything. They gave O’Brien the keys to everything. Imagine what they would give to SP. Plus, they have stockpiled a crazy surplus of draft capital, the division is kinda tough, but definitely manageable, and he would still be in the state of Texas. Which would be close to his son who still lives in Dallas i believe.

Actually, the contract is frozen since he quit/retired. The precedent was set with Arians when he "retired" from the Cardinals with a year left on his contract. Two years later, the Bucs had to send compensation to the Cardinals to acquire him. It was only a 6th round pick. The Saints retain Payton's rights indefinitely. If a team ever wants him, they have to acquire his rights from the Saints and he is certainly worth a small ransom in picks and or players.
Kind of makes you wonder if Loomis is already getting inquiries about 2023 which is why he might have been comfortable to send a 2023 first to the Eagles this year.

We would obviously. Many think the Cowboys would be the obvious choice, but I would like to think that there would be other suitors.
I know it’s odd, I just have this weird feeling we have a wink wink agreement with him to go easy on his new team. Idk why. Just do.

I know it’s odd, I just have this weird feeling we have a wink wink agreement with him to go easy on his new team. Idk why. Just do.
I’d hope not. I want the Gruden package at minimum. Heck, if an SP trade does happen, then I want to see us reset that coach trade market. We can’t just give SP away. That would be foolish.

It seems like Mike Tanier of Football Outsiders has got the hots for Mickey or something, as he just can't write an article without having a dig at him.

This is meant to be about the Giants, but at the end there's a pretty pathetic skit about our cap management and the trade with the Eagles.

Is Mike mad at the Rams too? Because they pretty much do the same thing as the Saints.

If the Saints make it to the playoffs this year and trade Sean Payton for a 1st round pick next year they will look like geniuses.
Honestly, this feels like where all of this is headed. The move for another 1st this season can make sense from an immediate need point of view, but it goes to the next level of sense making if Gayle/Loomis know Payton intends to coach again. Get an extra pick in a seemingly deeper draft, and then recoup much of what you lost by trading Payton’s contractual rights.

Honestly, this feels like where all of this is headed. The move for another 1st this season can make sense from an immediate need point of view, but it goes to the next level of sense making if Gayle/Loomis know Payton intends to coach again. Get an extra pick in a seemingly deeper draft, and then recoup much of what you lost by trading Payton’s contractual rights.

and the thing is we really didn't "lose" that much. We gave up a comp 3rd rounder and a 2nd round pick in 2024. Everyone freaks out because we don't know where the 2023 pick we gave up falls but I'm going to say there is about an 80% chance it falls well below #16

Loomis’s strategy was to attempt to keep Brees window alive. Well…in hindsight it didn’t work because we have one Super Bowl appearance and it was before the strategy started…and Brees is now gone. Now the Saints have a substantial amount of cap tied to dead money and have already failed to be competitive in acquiring multiple free agents…and that could continue for the next two years. When you don’t get results people will criticize.
That’s a wining strategy.
We won heavily during it.
We didn’t get to the Super Bowl, but we were in the mix of just a few teams that had a legitimate chance.
So as Saints fans how could you not love that strategy???
He gave us a big time fighting chance, and that’s pretty much what you want from any GM.
Now he’s got the inevitable repair from that 5 year GO FOR IT run….let’s see how he does before complaining.
Even last year, year 1 post-Drew, we were in great shape until we lost our starting QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom