Mike Tanier criticising Loomis' cap management again (1 Viewer)

If Payton is under contract through 2024, then thanks for the correction.

That's not true at all. We have been competitive. We just haven't won.

There's a difference and, frankly, losing out on Deshawn Watson was a godsend.
I’m not arguing with you. I agree. But when people complaint in hindsight, I can see their argument. If Loomis was told five years ago that the Saints would have a series of one and outs…would he have made the sacrifices that he made? I’m doubtful. You SHOULD be successful when you have the highest effective cap in the league…and the Saints just couldn’t get it done.

If Payton is under contract through 2024, then thanks for the correction.

He is:

Payton's contract won't run out until after the 2024 season, so this issue will be there if any team wants to hire Payton over the next three years.

He will be 61 at the start of the 2025 season but more importantly Jerry Jones will be 83.

If the Cowboys underachieve this year Jerry is firing McCarthy and pulling out @SweetT's catch phrase from the Deshaun Watson thread because he's not going to be around to worry about future 1st round picks he wants to win now.

Last edited:
Incorrect.
Payton remains under the Saints contract through the 2024 season. He must wait until the 2025 season to be free.
Actually, the contract is frozen since he quit/retired. The precedent was set with Arians when he "retired" from the Cardinals with a year left on his contract. Two years later, the Bucs had to send compensation to the Cardinals to acquire him. It was only a 6th round pick. The Saints retain Payton's rights indefinitely. If a team ever wants him, they have to acquire his rights from the Saints and he is certainly worth a small ransom in picks and or players.

I’m not arguing with you. I agree. But when people complaint in hindsight, I can see their argument. If Loomis was told five years ago that the Saints would have a series of one and outs…would he have made the sacrifices that he made? I’m doubtful. You SHOULD be successful when you have the highest effective cap in the league…and the Saints just couldn’t get it done.
Agreed except imo we did get it done one time. Got jobbed, royally. That would have made it all worth it to me.

Loomis is playing chess when this no name is playing checkers. Mickey is one step ahead of everyone and like some posters have eluded, the return of Sean Payton is inevitable IMO and we'll cash in when it happens.

We've been one of the best teams, in the freaking league, for the past 4 or 5 years... one would think that our GM is doing something right, no?

I loved the write up, had me chuckling lol. Especially this part:

Attachments

• C0135CE8-07E5-48E4-A8D8-900664C4CBA1.jpeg
    C0135CE8-07E5-48E4-A8D8-900664C4CBA1.jpeg
    443 KB · Views: 28
Actually, the contract is frozen since he quit/retired. The precedent was set with Arians when he "retired" from the Cardinals with a year left on his contract. Two years later, the Bucs had to send compensation to the Cardinals to acquire him. It was only a 6th round pick. The Saints retain Payton's rights indefinitely. If a team ever wants him, they have to acquire his rights from the Saints and he is certainly worth a small ransom in picks and or players.
That is what I thought as well and was going to post it until I read yours. Most contracts, whatever it is, are structured in that manner. Since he failed to fulfill his obligations, he either has to come back and fulfill his obligations, or the Saints have to release him from the contract. Payton is not automatically released just because the contract term expires..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom