Mike Tanier criticising Loomis' cap management again (1 Viewer)

That’s a wining strategy.
We won heavily during it.
We didn’t get to the Super Bowl, but we were in the mix of just a few teams that had a legitimate chance.
So as Saints fans how could you not love that strategy???
He gave us a big time fighting chance, and that’s pretty much what you want from any GM.
Now he’s got the inevitable repair from that 5 year GO FOR IT run….let’s see how he does before complaining.
Even last year, year 1 post-Drew, we were in great shape until we lost our starting QB.
I’m not against the strategy. I personally don’t think it worked. But I respect the attempt.

It seems like Mike Tanier of Football Outsiders has got the hots for Mickey or something, as he just can't write an article without having a dig at him.

This is meant to be about the Giants, but at the end there's a pretty pathetic skit about our cap management and the trade with the Eagles.

Don’t know this guy but how has that skillful cap management worked out for the giants

Loomis’s strategy was to attempt to keep Brees window alive. Well…in hindsight it didn’t work because we have one Super Bowl appearance and it was before the strategy started…and Brees is now gone. Now the Saints have a substantial amount of cap tied to dead money and have already failed to be competitive in acquiring multiple free agents…and that could continue for the next two years. When you don’t get results people will criticize.
Had they not got straight screwed by Vinovich would have been two.

I’m not arguing with you. I agree. But when people complaint in hindsight, I can see their argument. If Loomis was told five years ago that the Saints would have a series of one and outs…would he have made the sacrifices that he made? I’m doubtful. You SHOULD be successful when you have the highest effective cap in the league…and the Saints just couldn’t get it done.

Again, I think you're wrong. Of course he would have done what he did. One and outs suck, but you can't get to the superbowl without getting to the playoffs.

Hindsight is clouding your vision and concern for someone else's money or something.

We were extraordinarily successful. You seem to be under the impression that success in the NFL is judged by Superbowls when that's not really true. You have to be successful to have a chance at the Superbowl and while first round losses are frustrating, it's all the path to a championship.

Do you think he'd have done a better job saving all that money and going 7 and 9? If so, what kind of Saints fan are you?

Again, I think you're wrong. Of course he would have done what he did. One and outs suck, but you can't get to the superbowl without getting to the playoffs.

Hindsight is clouding your vision and concern for someone else's money or something.

We were extraordinarily successful. You seem to be under the impression that success in the NFL is judged by Superbowls when that's not really true. You have to be successful to have a chance at the Superbowl and while first round losses are frustrating, it's all the path to a championship.

Do you think he'd have done a better job saving all that money and going 7 and 9? If so, what kind of Saints fan are you?
Well stated.

Really? We went from the joke of the league to a Championship then at the top of the league except for one or two teams. Been here since 1966 and I am more than satisfied
Make that 1967 for the nit pickers

I’d hope not. I want the Gruden package at minimum. Heck, if an SP trade does happen, then I want to see us reset that coach trade market. We can’t just give SP away. That would be foolish.
Oh I agree it would be foolish and hopefully I’m wrong.
He can go kick rocks
Down the road, like Loomis. I kid I kid. 😂

Really? We went from the joke of the league to a Championship then at the top of the league except for one or two teams. Been here since 1966 and I am more than satisfied
Only been around since 80 but I agree. Especially since (imo) we won it all in 18-19. That’s two ‘chips.

Saints could won the Super Bowl more than once if we didn’t have these bad calls and bad luck.

Loomis did exactly what he needed to do by putting the team into win now mode and doing best of what was available.

This guy Mike Tainer don’t understand GM role and what the Saints faced all these years with the NFL and their referees.

Yep…with Drew Brees…playoff appearances aren’t a success. You can think what you want but history is going to say that we had the most talented team for a number of years with one of the great QBs of all-time and we struggled in the playoffs.

But again…I have no objections to Loomis’s strategy. It was the right strategy… but the Saints still need to play football. Loomis doesn’t wear pads.

Yep…with Drew Brees…playoff appearances aren’t a success. You can think what you want but history is going to say that we had the most talented team for a number of years with one of the great QBs of all-time and we struggled in the playoffs.

But again…I have no objections to Loomis’s strategy. It was the right strategy… but the Saints still need to play football. Loomis doesn’t wear pads.
Do you still feel that way if we don’t get shafted in that NFCCG?

Lol…I’m going to avoid talking about that game for the sake of everyone. There is no point of revisionist history.
I get that, just truly am of the opinion that we won that game. Which would have made 2 Super Bowls for Sean and Drew. It’s not really revisionist for me either, as we literally won that game. The whole world knows.

I’d hope not. I want the Gruden package at minimum. Heck, if an SP trade does happen, then I want to see us reset that coach trade market. We can’t just give SP away. That would be foolish.
I want at least more than what Cleveland gave up for Watson. That means three #1s plus more otherwise I wouldn't trade him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom