New Car Help (with pole) (4 Viewers)

Choose the next SR clown car:

• Audi

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Lexus

Votes: 24 63.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Long-time VW guy. I own a slightly modded 2013 turbo beetle with a 6sp manual. I love that car. It's fun, it's cute, it handles well with upgraded shocks and springs, lightweight wheels, and the 2.0 turbo is a super fun engine. I've gotten so many compliments on it. Conversation starter. Black with tinted windows and black and chrome OZ wheels. I feel like Darth Vader flying his TIE Interceptor when I drive it. I even have a decal of the TIE Interceptor on the back window :)

Having said that, it has needed a few repairs. A few QA issues have cropped up. Two major problems. One was the flywheel blowing up. At least I was in the Triangle. Still, expensive repair and out of commission for a while. The second was the gas gauge becoming uncalibrated. I ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere South Carolina on my way to a family vacation. Had to wait two hours for a tow, got it to a dealership in Charleston over an hour away only to find out it was out of gas but reading a quarter tank full. Absolutely infuriating. And now that it's 10 years old, I'm expecting more issues to start popping up. And she's only at 70kish miles. Turbocharger will eventually need to be replaced. One, and now a second, speed sensor have gone bad. I can fix that myself, still sucks.

I also own a 2015 Lexus rx350, with slightly over 100k miles. Just normal maintenance, which hasn't been much outside of oil changes, new tires, one brake job. It will likely hit 200k+ with minimal service.

I did have an issue with a sunroof drain hole getting clogged on the Lexus and funneling water into the floorboard. My beetle's sunroof has never had an issue. I use the sunroofs in my cars pretty much every time I drive, outside of bad weather. A point for the bug here.

I'm going to sell the beetle. No one needs car trouble in their life. I don't, anyway. I have more than enough to worry about these days without that.

Just my personal experience currently owning both a German and Japanese vehicle.

Get the Lexus. IMO.

Last edited:
I had an Audi for 10 years... loved it, crazy fun to drive... BUT it was also really, really expensive to maintain. Finally gave it up when they wanted like $12K for some basic repairs (timing chain, needed to replace the turbo, etc).

That link that @0rion posted is interesting b/c I would have assumed the Audi was more expensive to maintain. I'd just be aware that Audi is very much pay to play, but the S3 is such a fun car to drive.

$350 for tires on an audi vs $1000 for Lexus?

That can't be right

It does seem skewed, but I've never owned a Lexus. I can say my tires on the Audi were way more than $350 for a set of 4. Closer to $800.

Yeah I can't imagine putting some discount tires on Audi. I figured the Lexus cost was all 4 so I was thrown with the Audi at $350.

Any sports car today expect $200- 250 per tire.

It does seem skewed, but I've never owned a Lexus. I can say my tires on the Audi were way more than $350 for a set of 4. Closer to $800.

I found this which says that Audi's are more expensive to maintain...

So .. :shrug:

Basically though, my assumption based on the choices @CapitalCitySaint presented, it feels like fun is the driving factor. Both are going to be pricey to maintain.... I'd go with whichever one feels more fun to drive (which for me would be the S3).

Solid choices though... should be a blast to drive around Southern California

Fun to drive - Audi

Better value - Lexus

I'd probably end up getting the Lexus, but if I didn't care about value, Audi all day long.

Sorry, but I'm biased lol. I have a 2020 Genesis G70 with the 3.3L twin turbo V6 (it was the Motor Trend Car of the Year for 2019), the G90 and GV70 repeated the same for the latest MT Car/SUV of the Year...

Genesis comes in at #2 right behind Lexus per JD Power, very good considering how young Genesis is vs Lexus...

245451017_10165809870925444_5366453338653651209_n.jpg

This is a fun vid that gives a brief rundown on how Genesis came to be in such a short amount of time, plus Hagerty car vids are always great...

Last edited:
Get you a Consumer Reports subscription for 39.00 then go online and read the reviews. They just published their annual car review. CR generally favors Lexus.

Since they’re both out of my comfort zone and price range I can only offer that one of my coworkers has an Audi A4 and hates it. Nowhere to get it serviced in this town of Ford/GMC

Last edited:
I had an Audi for 10 years... loved it, crazy fun to drive... BUT it was also really, really expensive to maintain. Finally gave it up when they wanted like $12K for some basic repairs (timing chain, needed to replace the turbo, etc).

That link that @0rion posted is interesting b/c I would have assumed the Audi was more expensive to maintain. I'd just be aware that Audi is very much pay to play, but the S3 is such a fun car to drive.
I was surprised by that too because I know BMW's are like that. That's why higher mileage used BMW's are so cheap....because it costs a fortune to maintain them at that point. It's on the internet so it must be true.

I think you should test drive both and see if one of them speaks to you. Cars are like that. You will know pretty quickly which one you prefer.

Audi owner. Love it. Had a few maintenance problems, but nothing serious the dealership has been a pleasure to deal with (Covid has extended their wait times a bit). I bought certified pre-owned, and I just extended the warranty, so if you bit that bullet, you shouldn't get killed by maintenance cost. General upkeep is a little more, but worth it to me.

I don't like the interiors of the Lexus - they're just shiny Toyotas. And I don't like the non-linear acceleration of Japanese cars.

Luckily, you can't go wrong with the choice. The Lexus will be more reliable and cheaper to maintain, but the Audi may have the better ride and interior.

Not at all.

I stated the 2 I’ve narrowed it down to. Not interested in hearing about other cars I should consider that are not mentioned in the pole but people are gonna people and tell you what they prefer 🤷🏻‍♀️
Get the one with the biggest motor, then rework the intake and exhaust. Following that get you a chip that advances the timing. You’ll have to burn super in it after that but oh well. Then take her out on the highway and stomp it. You won’t have a moment of regret.

And by the by, if you drive at regular highway speed, you’ll actually get better mileage.

Edit: that was kind of a joke well sorta :hihi:

Last edited:
I think your maintenance costs on the Lexus will be less than Audi, so that's something to consider.
That is the consensus and is statistically likely.

But what is certain is that an Audi can bring joy. I used to hate to commute but now it is a joy in my A5.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom