NFL New playing rules approved by Owners; and other proposal decisions (1 Viewer)

I agree with the running start. They should bring that back.

Agree. Unless there is data specifically showing onside kick injuries being high (doubtful), they should allow that play to involve the old rules.

As indicated, there should be a system in place to “declare” you’re going to attempt an onside kick, triggering your ability to go back to the old rules for that one play.

I saw an idea someone had that I think made more sense than the 4th and 20 rule. The issues he pointed out were that on a 4th and 20, a minor (or incorrect) holding call gives the "kicking" team a new possession and the defense is forced to defend the entire field.

His suggestion was this. Instead of having a 4th and 20 from your own 40, you get one play from the opposing team's 15 yard line. If you get into the endzone on that play, you get the ball on your own 35. If you don't, the defense gets the ball on their own 40. That way, the defense isn't stuck trying to defend over half the field, and if there is a penalty, the ball gets respotted, and you have to try again.
That still opens Pandora's box of bad calls and missed calls like D holding . What needs to be done is make D holding a 10yd foul and no auto 1st down, In fact, any 5yd auto 1st down penalty should be changed to 10yds and no auto 1st. If you want to give kickoffs and onside kicks more life have the receiving team line up 5yds back it would make a 5yd kinda free zone

That still opens Pandora's box of bad calls and missed calls like D holding . What needs to be done is make D holding a 10yd foul and no auto 1st down, In fact, any 5yd auto 1st down penalty should be changed to 10yds and no auto 1st. If you want to give kickoffs and onside kicks more life have the receiving team line up 5yds back it would make a 5yd kinda free zone
Yes, it does. But a bad or missed D holding call doesn't automatically award the "kicking" team possession. They still have to make the end zone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom