NFL.com says the Saints won't make the playoffs (7 Viewers)

Preseason analysis is not bad. Atlanta has made major improvements. I have hope for the season, because we all know anything can happen. Right now the biggest weakness is tightend, with a decent tightend the offense could be much better and open up the game for other players. I don’t understand the Saints lack of focus on the position, not one player on the team with starting ability.

“Blown out”??? I don’t remember typing that phrase. :scratch:
I just said that 7 wins would be good for this Saints team. They still have a lot of missing pieces to be considered a real contender by most knowledgeable sports writers. I happen to agree. :shrug:
Bill my comment was to “ledge dwellers”. And the overly negative, not necessarily you.

I'm accused of being negative. I'm just realistic about this team.

The two most important things on a contending NFL team are:

1. Elite, top 5 QB
2. Top 10 HC

At best, Carr is maybe around 15. I personally, have him in the 20s due to lack of leadership and intangibles. He's like the anti Jake Delhomme for example. Allen is definitely a bottom 5 if not worst HC in the league IMO.

But what about the Defense!?

It's old.

Davis and Jordan are ancient. Granderson is a fine player if he's your No. 2 DE and you have a stud pass rusher opposite. You don't. All hope rests on an oft-injured Chase Young on his third team in his short career. That's hope. Maybe it works out, but objectively, if he was that good, he would still be on Washington or SF.

Your CBs have some talent but injury issues. Safeties are either old or meh.

The offense is just a trainwreck.

I count 4 players who I consider starting caliber: Kamara (who is slowing down), Olave, McCoy, and I'll throw the rookie LT a bone and give him the benefit of the doubt. Shaheed is a fine No. 3 WR and Hill is a great gadget player. But you have no starting caliber LG, RG or RT. No No. 2 WR. No starter level TEs. And like I said, a middle of the pack QB, who isn't exactly the most inspiring guy.

Maybe, maybe a great HC could eek out a winning season with this group. Dennis Allen? Yeah right. The only question IMO, is if he makes it through the year.
I disagree with your 1. And 2. Not all qbs that made it to the championship games were top 5. If that was the case the games would be very limited. The defense you described is not the one I see. Besides age catching up to Jordan, it hasn’t seemed to affected the other older players yet, most are playing like they are in their prime. On offense there are a lot of worries. Carr, Olave, Hill, Shaheed, and McCoy are likely the only players that could start for other teams. We have some young players with potential but the current starting tightend would likely not make most teams even as a third tightend. Backup qbs? Running back position? Oline? Wide receiver group? Kuboak has his job cut out for him. I think having a solid veteran qb is the key to success, if he can keep the team in games then a winning season and the playoffs are possible. If Carr goes down the season is over.

Unfortunately, if we want to make the playoffs we need to go 4-2 in division, sweeping two teams. We don't split with the Falcons two years in a row. If we lose week 4, well, we know what will happen. I think we can sweep TB because we're in a good scheduling spot to do so. And Carolina is a must win.

If we win in Dallas, I will feel much better about our chances even if we lose twice to a team in our division.

If Atlanta hits it off with their improvements, they're probably going 12-5. Unless we sweep Atlanta, I don't see us having that.

Key games
Panthers times 2
Cowboys
Bucs or Falcons times 2
Chiefs or Broncos
Chargers!
Browns or Rams(does anyone really think we're losing two home games sandwiching a bye?)
Both the above or the Packers
Giants or Packers
Commanders or Eagles
Raiders

We can only afford to not satisfy one of those.

If we lose to Dallas, then it will be a rollercoaster. We could start out 1-4 then peel off a winning streak against Bucs, Broncos, Chargers, and Panthers to get above .500. I doubt we lose to both Falcons and Browns at home. So we go 6-5 before the bye(or 5-6 if we can't sweep Panthers). The Rams are starting to get 2018 type hype and this isn't Brees/Payton against them. The bye is what could save us against them. Certainly going 0-2 after the bye is unacceptable. We beat Commanders and Bucs in last four. That gives us 8 wins. Splitting weeks 13/14 and not losing to GB and Raiders both could get us to 10 wins. 9-8 may be good enough for a wild card if the Rams have a losing record with that schedule. They have to play the AFC East, Eagles, Packers, Lions, and 49ers. I have Bears, 49ers/Seahawks competing for the wild cards. I don't think NFC East gets two teams in or Lions repeat last year. Cowboys and Lions have brutal schedules.

Unfortunately, if we want to make the playoffs we need to go 4-2 in division, sweeping two teams. We don't split with the Falcons two years in a row. If we lose week 4, well, we know what will happen. I think we can sweep TB because we're in a good scheduling spot to do so. And Carolina is a must win.

If we win in Dallas, I will feel much better about our chances even if we lose twice to a team in our division.

If Atlanta hits it off with their improvements, they're probably going 12-5. Unless we sweep Atlanta, I don't see us having that.

Key games
Panthers times 2
Cowboys
Bucs or Falcons times 2
Chiefs or Broncos
Chargers!
Browns or Rams(does anyone really think we're losing two home games sandwiching a bye?)
Both the above or the Packers
Giants or Packers
Commanders or Eagles
Raiders

We can only afford to not satisfy one of those.

If we lose to Dallas, then it will be a rollercoaster. We could start out 1-4 then peel off a winning streak against Bucs, Broncos, Chargers, and Panthers to get above .500. I doubt we lose to both Falcons and Browns at home. So we go 6-5 before the bye(or 5-6 if we can't sweep Panthers). The Rams are starting to get 2018 type hype and this isn't Brees/Payton against them. The bye is what could save us against them. Certainly going 0-2 after the bye is unacceptable. We beat Commanders and Bucs in last four. That gives us 8 wins. Splitting weeks 13/14 and not losing to GB and Raiders both could get us to 10 wins. 9-8 may be good enough for a wild card if the Rams have a losing record with that schedule. They have to play the AFC East, Eagles, Packers, Lions, and 49ers. I have Bears, 49ers/Seahawks competing for the wild cards. I don't think NFC East gets two teams in or Lions repeat last year. Cowboys and Lions have brutal schedules.
I can't see Atlanta going 12-5 with Raheem Morris as HC.

I don't really see why Raheem Morris is getting big talk. His first stint with the Falcons and the Bucs as a HC went terribly. He isn't that guy. His career record is abysmal 21-38 as HC. He has shown nothing that he is all of a sudden able to be good.
That and they’re riding on a 36-year-old QB, new to the team/system, coming off a torn Achilles.

national media is just repeating what grouchy Saints fans are stopping at nothing to bleat in every public space they can occupy

most hot seat trackers through last season either didn’t have Allen on there at all, or struggled to understand why the sentiment was what it was

I think the new playcaller is getting underestimated. I don't want to be stale on o again this season. Early on we will be fresh that's what's so exciting.

I don't worry about media predictions. Most are click bait crap. Going into the 2009 season many had the Saints at average at best with MAYBE a playoff spot. At the time I listened to Sirius a lot and even Pat Kirwin had the Saints just missing a wild card spot. He got talked into changing his prediction by Tim Ryan and had the Saints losing the first wild card game. (Ryan had the Saints losing in the NFC championship).

I can't wee the saints going less than 9-8. Our schedule looks hard if we were going into the season 2 years ago.

Our team took the step forward all the pundits think Falcons took. We added the right pieces. If we can play like we did final 6 games last year we can easily win the division.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom