Official Burgers and Fries Thread (1 Viewer)

Not even close for me. Lankford's blows everyone away. I've tried all the places that get recommended in Houston (inlcuding Christian's), and I still like Lankford's the best. I actually found Christian's disappointing when I went there.

buzd--Lankford's is located at 88 Dennis Street, just a bit outside of downtown Houston.

*Edit*--If you go on Wednesday, get the Enchilada plate. Dear God that is good. If you go with someone else, one of you get the full order and one get the half. The full order has 3 enchiladas and the half order only one (then you can give one to the other person--two is perfect). Three is too much, and you will be in a coma not long after eating.

Apparently there are no math classes in chef school.

Apparently there are no math classes in chef school.

It's another thing that makes it great. And if you have ever been there, you would know that Jimmy (the 100+ year old man at the cash register) has trouble with numbers.

It's another thing that makes it great. And if you have ever been there, you would know that Jimmy (the 100+ year old man at the cash register) has trouble with numbers.

I haven't been downtown since 1993. In fact, I rarely leave my little township. Hell, who am I kidding - I rarely leave home.

Lankford's is worth going, just to meet Jimmy - picture an elderly gentleman hunched over with his pants up to his armpits.

Still on the hunt for a place in Austin that fresh cuts the fries pretty thick and leaves the skins on.
There are some places that do it, sort of, but not all that thick. Sort of like steak fries I guess.

I saw on the food network once that the secret to great fries is to keep them in the hot oil just a couple of minutes, then remove them for a couple, and add them again to finish the job. I tried it and it works like a charm !

the lee's on veterans blvd in metry had some pretty dang good burgers.....but they turned it into a pizza joint:mad:

the bottom line has good burgers as well.....

bud's broiler in kenna is $$$$

>>Obviously my favorite is a Whataburger, :worthy:

That says a mouthful. If you can't fry or grill a better tasting burger than what you get at Whattaburger, then you need to buy a cookbook. JMO

TPS

Steve, of course I can, but the fact of the matter remains that people do go out for food and when they do, favorites arise :)

Case in point, I do a pretty mean fish fry, but will go out for it when necessary. You know what I mean.

Yeah I do. But for the $1.99 or whatever you pay for that burger (+ fries, + drink), you could probably cook 5 of them. Also, with all that beef you guys have in Texas, somebody's gotta do a better hamburger. I mean think of all the sports bars, bbq places and what have you. I can't believe there isn't something better to be had. I've eaten probably 10 or 11 meals in Austin and none of them were remotely bad. Surely there's something real that isn't fast food there. :shrug:

TPS

Plenty of places that aren't fast food per se, but try finding one at 2am or on your way to someplace that's fast ! LOL

I should have mentioned Top Notch on Burnet Road as a good burger also.

I don't do fast food, so I can't vouch for the "quality" of burger at those fine establishments. But there was a place here in Plano, TX called Good Eat's that had an excellent mushroom swiss burger. Their burgers were grilled over wood to give them a nice hint of smokiness, but not overwhelming. I used to love that place, but they closed shop and the nearest one is in Lower Greenville.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom