**OFFICIAL** Tejas vs LSU game thread (1 Viewer)

I think one of the difficult things for us fans to get used to about transitioning to this more open/up tempo style offense we're playing now, is that LSU's defense won't be as dominant score or stat wise as it has been in the past. We're going to be giving up more points and plays this year than in the past. With the up-tempo, quick strike playing style we're seeing now, it's only logical that our defense is going be playing more time with less breaks in between series. Other teams are also going to feel the pressure to play more open and take shots down field to keep up scoring wise. So that's going to put a lot more pressure on our defense and expose vulnerabilities.

There is always a trade off. Still, I don't think anybody would disagree that this style of offense is much better for us and will help us accomplish a lot more long term. There is definitely a lot of improvement to be made and I think we will be better on defense, but I don't think it's the last time we see a game like this one this year.

It was also a million degrees out there and the defenses were clearly worn out since both offenses run uptempo spreads. I was worn out just from drinking beer.

It was also a million degrees out there and the defenses were clearly worn out since both offenses run uptempo spreads. I was worn out just from drinking beer.

Indeed, it's why I think the defenses are both better than the second half of this game. But UT's OL is solid. I wouldn't call it a weakness at all. Running backs tho, ouch.

One thing re: the Texas OLine - a bunch of you guys seem to have the notion that Texas' line is not a strength. Not sure if that made its way around LSU boards or whatever, but that's definitely not true. The is the best and most talented OLine we've had in 10 years. It will probably be the 2nd or 3rd best offensive line you see all year (I have no idea how good Georgia's is but I'll assume Bama has like 8 NFL guys). So I wouldn't read too much into the fact that the Texas OL did a pretty solid job against your front 7 athletes

That's a very good point. With teams like LSU and Texas, when we talk about strengths and weaknesses, its all in a relative sense. I think LSU has a better offensive and defensive line than most teams do, but line play is still a relative weakness for LSU.

LSU and Texas fans ultimately want there teams to compete for national championships. LSU is a team with very few weaknesses, except in a relative sense. LSU's defensive line is a good one, but not relative to Bama and Clemson. In recent years Bama has owned the trenches against LSU which has been the difference in the games.

So it helps to know that one reason LSU did not pressure Ehrlinger enough is because Texas has one of the best offensive lines we will see. But if the goal for LSU is to win the West and compete for playoff spots, its concerning that their defensive front seven did not play well against Texas.

Alabama, pretty much the gold standard in college football, is a team with few relative weaknesses. I think LSU is just as good as Bama in the skill positions like receiver and corners, which is saying a lot because Bama is loaded. But Bama is still probably better in the trenches and nothing I saw Saturday night changed my mind on that.

LSU did make a schematic change that will narrow the gap. The advantage Bama's defensive line has over LSUs offensive line will be lessened because with the run/pass scheme, Burrow gets the ball out much quicker.

All that said, I do think this year's LSU team has a better chance than past teams to beat Bama. And I think Texas has a shot winning the big 12. The gap between Bama and Clemson is closing.

That's a very good point. With teams like LSU and Texas, when we talk about strengths and weaknesses, its all in a relative sense. I think LSU has a better offensive and defensive line than most teams do, but line play is still a relative weakness for LSU.

LSU and Texas fans ultimately want there teams to compete for national championships. LSU is a team with very few weaknesses, except in a relative sense. LSU's defensive line is a good one, but not relative to Bama and Clemson. In recent years Bama has owned the trenches against LSU which has been the difference in the games.

So it helps to know that one reason LSU did not pressure Ehrlinger enough is because Texas has one of the best offensive lines we will see. But if the goal for LSU is to win the West and compete for playoff spots, its concerning that their defensive front seven did not play well against Texas.

Alabama, pretty much the gold standard in college football, is a team with few relative weaknesses. I think LSU is just as good as Bama in the skill positions like receiver and corners, which is saying a lot because Bama is loaded. But Bama is still probably better in the trenches and nothing I saw Saturday night changed my mind on that.

LSU did make a schematic change that will narrow the gap. The advantage Bama's defensive line has over LSUs offensive line will be lessened because with the run/pass scheme, Burrow gets the ball out much quicker.

All that said, I do think this year's LSU team has a better chance than past teams to beat Bama. And I think Texas has a shot winning the big 12. The gap between Bama and Clemson is closing.

Problem with the Big XII is that for all of Herman's big game success, he's known to drop a game or two that he shouldn't each year. I could see us hanging with LSU, beating OU, then losing to Kansas State or Baylor or something silly like that. The team probably still doesn't have the veteran leadership to play every single game consistently well just yet. And of course we'd have to beat OU twice, more than likely, to win the conference. That's a big ask. Hope you're right though.

From the Athletic, if you have a subscription, you can read the rest.
As LSU regained the ball with four minutes left and a six-point lead, Orgeron asked offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger, “What do you think about four-minute offense?”

“No, we’re going to pass the ball, and we’re going to score,” Ensminger countered.

“Go ahead,” Orgeron said.

No more running out the clock. No more playing not to lose. LSU didn’t just change its scheme and playbook. It changed its attitude. So on 3rd-and-17, Burrow dropped back, saw pressure, moved around the pocket and chucked a ball on one foot with his body contorted 20 yards downfield to Jefferson, who took it all the way for the 61-yard touchdown. That sealed the deal.

So refreshing to see this mindset change.

Cramps makes sense now..... Geez....

Attachments

• 20190909_160945.jpg
    20190909_160945.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 5
Cramps makes sense now..... Geez....

Wow, that's a joke. The no A/C part. I think they should have a rule that if one team has A/C, the visiting team should as well. Doesn't sound like much, but you didn't see any Texas players getting cramps.

I was just coming here to post that! Those sons of steer lovers!

Wow, that's a joke. The no A/C part. I think they should have a rule that if one team has A/C, the visiting team should as well. Doesn't sound like much, but you didn't see any Texas players getting cramps.
Especially when it's literally record breaking temperatures and isn't just a matter of personal comfort but there are health concerns!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom