Penning and Fuaga!!!! (11 Viewers)

It’s the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach designing around thier strengths and ways to make them successful. Both are massively powerful men. Let them play a mauling sort of game
They are also highly athletic. They excel in run blocking. Ruiz too, they get upfield fast with the run blocking.

IMG-1395.jpg
He looks like he is killing that man

"Give me your soul" - Trevor Penning, probably.
IKR! 😂

But a couple of other things caught my eye in those pics:

1) The wide zone blocking scheme only works when it’s EXECUTED properly. Look at our blocking n you pretty much see “ a hat on a hat”!

2) The wide zone blocking scheme also works well when you have a RB like AK with great vision n balance who can make that cut n explode when he “sees” a hole!

Nice!

They are also highly athletic. They excel in run blocking. Ruiz too, they get upfield fast with the run blocking.
Ruiz. I know he has been fine so not getting much mention but I think it's a crime that him running down the field with AK, basically step for step on that long run, isn't getting talked about. The freaking EFFORT these guys are putting in is awesome.

I told my Dad on the phone that this is some of the best blocking from the Saints I’ve seen in the last 25 years.

The Saints “skill” players on offense just don’t scream “40 burger” offense. But behind the outstanding play calling and outstanding blocking they are.

Ame
Ruiz. I know he has been fine so not getting much mention but I think it's a crime that him running down the field with AK, basically step for step on that long run, isn't getting talked about. The freaking EFFORT these guys are putting in is awesome.
IKR! Someone on Twitter posted about Ruiz runnin with AK, n didn’t even know who he was, he just said 51! It’s all good tho!!! 😊😊😊

90% of you were so dead wrong about Penning. The hate was ridiculous. I feel vindicated in my staunch defense of him. Look beneath the surface to find the true story
The only bad hot take that I ever saw was that he was that his footwork is too slow to be a tackle.

Which I thought is absurd when he had the best athletic metrics for a tackle in the draft.

What he was struggling was the mental aspect of the game and lack of experience.

His struggles were healthy criticism. What wasn't fair was how they used him in a scheme that put him in a constant disadvantage with the rest of the line.

He played too high, too hesitant, and used poor leverage at times. He still has the tools to be great if they could figure how to best use him. Which Klint and his line coach did magnificently.

Let’s clear something up…. All the doubt and criticism of Penning he was getting before the season… was valid and deserved. He was bad. His technique was bad. His foot work was bad. His balance was bad. It was almost all bad.

Just like the praise he is getting now for being able to get out of his own head, fit into this scheme, and do his job at a high level.... is now valid and deserved.

I was someone who said that if he looked like the same guy in the first few games of the season, as the guy I saw last year…. It was time to cut him and move on.

Him making improvements and actually playing well now doesn’t make take wrong, nor does it make me a hater.

It just means he’s done what he has to to so far to be an asset to the team and help us win. And that’s all any of us ever wanted from him the last 2 years.

I think this system has helped him considerably by allowing him to run block more, move forward more than backwards, get help on long developing passes and he has to think much less…. Thereby allowing his feet to actually work.

It’s good to see and I am happy I don’t have to think about him being a weak link, and that the Saints don’t have to move on from him out of necessity.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom