Popeye's Chicken Sandwich (1 Viewer)

LAhotsauce

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Is this thing the Muhammad Ali of chicken sandwiches? Thats what I've heard so far. Chick-Fil-A and Wendy's had to chime in.

If so, I fully expect if I try to get one of these things on my cheat day, they'll b nice and out of em.

Torgo

I am Torgo
Reaction score
Popeyes just opened a restaurant in Greeley, CO. I had my first spicy chicken sandwich today. My opinion was that the spicy was missing from the spicy chicken sandwich. I had to order a second one to verify the results... Not spicy. It could be that it was made in Colorado.
I definitely think it is, most likely, a regional thing. I've been to a few "Cajun-style" restaurants here in Birmingham(mostly run by NOLA/SE LA tranplants) and have been told they had to tone down the spiciness of their dishes because the locals here couldn't handle it.

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
When it comes to a chicken sandwich I'd rather get a Club which should be a BLT with fried chicken, ranch dressing and cheddar cheese. That's how I roll. And when it comes to Popeye's I get the large mashed potatoes with extra gravy and tenders and dip the tenders into my taters.

jboss

All-Pro
Reaction score
Popeyes must have a world class PR team for this one. The spicy one was good and all but never would I have thought this many people would be incredulous about a dang chicken sandwich.

Torgo

I am Torgo
Reaction score
Popeyes must have a world class PR team for this one. The spicy one was good and all but never would I have thought this many people would be incredulous about a dang chicken sandwich.
They really played on the perceived "universal truth" that CFA has the best chicken sandwich ever made in the history of ever. It seems to have paid off mightily. And, again, I do love me some CFA, but it doesn't shock me that, with a little effort, another chain could rival them.

Reaction score
Same principle with In n Out burger.. the first time i ever tried one was over 20 yrs ago, i’d never heard of the place but needed a quick cheap meal on the West Coast and i was like ‘Holy Ish’ this blows every other fast food place out of the water... Now people hear about if for 10 or 15 yrs, finally try one and since it doesnt actually change your life, they’re inevitably disappointed.
I never had heard about In-N-Out when I first moved to LA and ate at one. I was unimpressed then as I am today. It's no better or worse then a lot of other franchise burger places, excluding the ultra fast food places like McDonalds, Burger King and so on. For example, I like 5 Guys more than In-N-Out. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I never had heard about In-N-Out when I first moved to LA and ate at one. I was unimpressed then as I am today. It's no better or worse then a lot of other franchise burger places, excluding the ultra fast food places like McDonalds, Burger King and so on. For example, I like 5 Guys more than In-N-Out. It's all a matter of personal preference.

That’s fine, thank goodness we all have different preferences or the world would be a dull place.

I will say that in re to 5 Guys, i’d put them more in the class of casual sit-down fare than fast food.. Why? I went to a 5 Guys last month for the first time in a couple of years.. for my double burger, fries and a soda it came out to $17 after tax... That exact same order at In n Out (which I frequent regularly) is < $8... so while i think that 5 Guys tastes pretty good, i prefer In n Out, and they’re definitely a better value in terms of fast-food.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Ok this made me laugh out loud:

"For some reason, Boston Market even entered the fray, trying to take a swipe at Chick-fil-A's new mac and cheese offering. You're fighting with the wrong weapons, Boston Market!"
I can't believe Boston Market still has some locations out there...that has to be the blandest most vanilla food i've ever had...

Haven't tried the sandwich yet but will soon...not a big chick fila fan, the chicken isn't that crunchy and that is important to me....like Canes sandwich much better....

Oye

carry all the groceries in in one trip
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They really played on the perceived "universal truth" that CFA has the best chicken sandwich ever made in the history of ever. It seems to have paid off mightily. And, again, I do love me some CFA, but it doesn't shock me that, with a little effort, another chain could rival them.
man, the CFA sandwich isn't that great.

They are opening 15 here in the Greater Toronto Area in the next 5 years. The only one currently is out in Calgary, in the airport, apparently. And people are really, really excited about getting some Chick Fil A up here.

(Of course, you can also imagine that it's also being targeted for protests, too, because of its controversial stances and the robust nature of the city's LGBTQ community)

But I keep telling them that they are only going to set themselves up for disappointment. I mean, the sandwich is good but it's not that great and really has the title by default because there's nobody really focusing on making a real chicken sandwich.

Shake Shack, but there aren't as many locations. Wendy's does a decent one, but they have more of a menu.

The moment that someone that does *just* chicken and puts some time into it, it's not going to be hard to compete with the quality of the sandwich itself.

We went once this summer - and it happened to be on a really dumb day. We're walking into the restaurant on some random afternoon and see that it's just packed. More than usual. And people are wearing cow costumes and such. Apparently it was "dress like a cow and eat for free" day or some such.

It did *not* add to my Chick Fil A experience.

It's a slightly above mediocre sandwich. And their nuggets are really sad little things.

Oye

carry all the groceries in in one trip
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I can't believe Boston Market still has some locations out there...that has to be the blandest most vanilla food i've ever had...
I've only ever eaten at one they had near a hotel we stayed at in Houston a lot when my dad was having a lot of surgeries and procedures. It was... ummm... not good. It was convenient and we'd get hungry and it would technically fill your stomach. But yea....

Haven't tried the sandwich yet but will soon...not a big chick fila fan, the chicken isn't that crunchy and that is important to me....like Canes sandwich much better....
All day. Every day.

You

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I gotta say: I really like the chick fil a chicken sandwich. I really like the chick fil a service too. Both are models of what fast food should be imo. I just don’t eat like that anymore. I’ll maybe get their salad which is quite good. The one by me is so crowded though that no one goes there anymore.

I rarely go to Popeyes. I’m very curious to try this popeyes sandwich though. It just might be enough to entice me to suffer their horrible service.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom