Popeye's Chicken Sandwich (3 Viewers)

LAhotsauce

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Is this thing the Muhammad Ali of chicken sandwiches? Thats what I've heard so far. Chick-Fil-A and Wendy's had to chime in.

If so, I fully expect if I try to get one of these things on my cheat day, they'll b nice and out of em.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I like their lemonade. It's pretty sweet though, not really for everyone. If there was one complaint I have about CFA, it's that their chicken isn't as crispy as I'd like. Also, I like the buns they use for the club. I request the multigrain bun to go with the spicy deluxe. Better than the plain buns imo.

Our go to sauce is their CFA sauce. I dip my waffle fries in that, better than ketchup. CFA locations here are always clean, they are always polite and rarely get an order wrong, and when they do get it wrong, they'll often comp you a free sandwich for the next trip.

I know they get a lot of grief because of the religious roots and being closed on Sundays, but they're are well run franchise. That and they're pretty consistent from location to location. I haven't really been to a bad location yet.
So damn sensible. You’ve been in NoVA too long.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Chick Fil A spicy chicken sandwich is fine, but what you have to do is get two dipping sauces on the side, Buffalo and Ranch.. you pour the Buffalo sauce onto the chicken sandwich, then dip the fries in the Ranch to cool your palate after all the heat... and you have to get a lemonade.
Dude. Put the sauce down.

I want to see you at our 50th MHS reunion.

jboss

All-Pro
Reaction score
The Chick Fil A spicy chicken sandwich is fine, but what you have to do is get two dipping sauces on the side, Buffalo and Ranch.. you pour the Buffalo sauce onto the chicken sandwich, then dip the fries in the Ranch to cool your palate after all the heat... and you have to get a lemonade.
Me and a couple guys at work actually cooked somethin up about Canes cuz of this. Get the 3 piece combo with an extra Texas toast. Take two strips and make a sandwich with the Texas toasts and put the Cane sauce on it. Even if it's bad you got one strip and fries to make up for it. But given the obvious circumstances that would be stupid delicious and I am fully trying that before the week is out.

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet. But those saying this is a CFL vs Popeyes thing are wrong imo. Unless Popeyes starts installing playsets and cooking up sugar coated nuggets for all the kids and little league teams, there's no real issue.

That said, I look forward to trying the Popeyes sandwich soon. I don't look forward to the line or the shakedown by the panhandler outside. I usually reserve that for pre and post Saints games in the fall.

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
The Popeyes in my area all have issues. Even if this sandwich is great, its just hard for me to go to Popeyes anymore knowing they will mess up the order anyway, burn it, or accidentally substitute an old sock for the bun. Maybe its different where you guys are, but where I am I just don't trust them with food based on them screwing up every time.

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
the more that I think about it, and the more it gets discussed, the more I realize how utterly marginal the Chick Fil A sandwich actually is

I keep seeing images plastered all over the internet of it, next to the Popeye's sandwich

And all I can think to myself is, "Won't someone adopt that poor, sad little, lonely sandwich? Otherwise, that poor, malnourished, gaunt, scrawny, emaciated little orphan bird pecked and scratched at her little patch of sand-ridden yard for nothing, eking out a withered existence for naught."

Won't somebody please think of the chickens?
the cfa "original" sammich isn't bad. it is just different. that said, without hesitation, i would take popeye's over it easily.

Brad Mojo

Formerly Ellis Hugh
Reaction score
Me and a couple guys at work actually cooked somethin up about Canes cuz of this. Get the 3 piece combo with an extra Texas toast. Take two strips and make a sandwich with the Texas toasts and put the Cane sauce on it. Even if it's bad you got one strip and fries to make up for it. But given the obvious circumstances that would be stupid delicious and I am fully trying that before the week is out.
You know they actually have a sandwich on the menu, right? Comes with sauce already on it and lettuce too.

jboss

All-Pro
Reaction score
You know they actually have a sandwich on the menu, right? Comes with sauce already on it and lettuce too.
Yea but with a normie arse bun. I want texas toast buns. Plus you have an extra tendie when you're done.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Yes.

"Isn't bad" is a totally fair assessment.

I think it would make a great slogan, maybe the most honest in advertising.

Chick-Fil-A: Our Chicken Sandwich Isn't Bad

:yes:
I think "isn't bad" is giving the CFA sandwich (and CFA in general) too much credit. I find their breading extremely salty, and the size of the breast out of balance and awkward with the sandwich. It's not good.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I've actually done this....it works....

Brown

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Is that a Yogi Berra quote? Or Woody Allen?
Yogi.

Seriously though... the two CFA locations closest to me are so crowded at lunch hour that they have police directing traffic.
I went to Popeyes today to get one of these sandwiches. Let me preface by saying that I tend to be a sucker for these new products and enjoy taste tests whenever I can. I admit to the nerdiness.

Modest line in drive thru. Parking lot had a few spaces. I think More crowded than usual

I went in and ordered.

Noticed that most people had regular fried chicken meals. Beside me, I saw one other person order a sandwich.
Service was unremarkable. No “my pleasure”, smiles or other graciousness. Typical fast food service I guess. The lady appeared bothered.

Took about 5 mins to get the sandwich and I left with it.
Just finished it.

General comment: it’s between “not bad and good”. Comes with mayo and pickle. Maybe something else- not sure.

Breakdown-
The good:
-Flavor: it’s good. Nothing extraordinary.
-It was moist (wife’s favorite word).
-Lots of food. I was full when I finished.
-Good value: for $3.99 it’s a good value.
-The bun appears to be toasted brioche.
-Crunchy crust.

The bad:
-It has mayo! Imo, mayo is not something you assume people want on a sandwich. If I want it, I’ll add it. And that’s like never. Wife and kids are the same way. I actually wiped some off of this sandwich.
-Breading is very thick. I had to peel some off as I was getting bites that were majority breading.
-the pickles. Not sure what kind they use but not tart enough for me.

Bottom line: I’d maybe get it again but if there’s choice between this and CFA, and I’m getting a sandwich, I’m getting the CFA sandwich. No question. It’s subjective but It’s just better tasting. Not as much food but better tasting imo.

I’d choose popeyes for their fried chicken over just about all other fried chicken chains.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom