Popeye's Chicken Sandwich (3 Viewers)

LAhotsauce

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Is this thing the Muhammad Ali of chicken sandwiches? Thats what I've heard so far. Chick-Fil-A and Wendy's had to chime in.

If so, I fully expect if I try to get one of these things on my cheat day, they'll b nice and out of em.

mc4saints

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yogi.

Seriously though... the two CFA locations closest to me are so crowded at lunch hour that they have police directing traffic.
I went to Popeyes today to get one of these sandwiches.

Modest line in drive thru. Parking lot had a few spaces. I think More crowded than usual

I went in and ordered.

Noticed that most people had regular fried chicken meals. Beside me, I saw one other person order a sandwich.
Service was unremarkable. No “my pleasure”, smiles or other graciousness. Typical fast food service I guess. The lady appeared bothered.

Took about 5 mins to get the sandwich and I left with it.
Just finished it.

General comment: it’s between “not bad and good”. Comes with mayo and pickle. Maybe something else- not sure.

Breakdown-
The good:
-Flavor: it’s good. Nothing extraordinary.
-It was moist (wife’s favorite word).
-Lots of food. I was full when I finished.
-Good value: for $3.99 it’s a good value.
-The bun appears to be toasted brioche.
-Crunchy crust.

The bad:
-It has mayo! Imo, mayo is not something you assume people want on a sandwich. If I want it, I’ll add it. And that’s like never. Wife and kids are the same way. I actually wiped some off of this sandwich.
-Breading is very thick. I had to peel some off as I was getting bites that were majority breading.
-the pickles. Not sure what kind they use but not tart enough for me.

Bottom line: I’d maybe get it again but if there’s choice between this and CFA, and I’m getting a sandwich, I’m getting the CFA sandwich. No question. It’s subjective but It’s just better tasting. Not as much food but better tasting imo.

I’d choose popeyes for their fried chicken over just about all other fried chicken chains.
Appreciate the review. Why not the spicy version with the Chipotle Mayo? I realize it is the same chicken breast but Spicy Mayo may have made a difference? Does anyone above the age of 12 order non-spicy anything from Popeyes?

Brown

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Appreciate the review. Why not the spicy version with the Chipotle Mayo? I realize it is the same chicken breast but Spicy Mayo may have made a difference? Does anyone above the age of 12 order non-spicy anything from Popeyes?
Not really a fan of spicy food and definitely didn’t want it today.
I’ve read some reviews on it. Evidently the spice comes from the mayo spread.
Could that be true? From popeyes? What the Fork!?

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Canadians.

:jpshakehead:
I used to always get mild because I didn't like spicy foods. I've since matured and don't mind it anymore. It used to be that whenever something was spicy my mouth would be on fire and when it's on fire I can't taste the food. Now I can handle spicier things.

mc4saints

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You are correct. I assume Popeyes didn't expect such a big hit and didn't want to produce 2 Skus. They took the lazy way out, kind of like their customer service compared to Chick Fil A.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed. I want the spices in the chicken itself. Relying on spicy mayo is just weird to me. Better than nothing I guess.

Brown

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I saw that tweet and I have to say it’s not at all like he says. Less salty than I expected. Not greasy at all. Very tender. Even the pickle looked more like something from a nice deli. And toasted Brioche...? I mean come-on.... not exactly Soul food... lol.

Looks to me like Popeyes has some slick social media campaign on a roll

Last edited:

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And toasted Brioche...? I mean come-on.... not exactly Soul food... lol.
what bread should they serve it on?

they already serve it on biscuits, corn bread isn't going to work - a brioche is a yeasty dinner roll and yeasty dinner rolls are plenty southern/soul food

I don't get the objection

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
what bread should they serve it on?

they already serve it on biscuits, corn bread isn't going to work - a brioche is a yeasty dinner roll and yeasty dinner rolls are plenty southern/soul food

I don't get the objection
The brioche is awesome. Then again, I only buy brioche sliced bread at home too.

Brown

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The brioche is awesome. Then again, I only buy brioche sliced bread at home too.
No doubt. Brioche is a great choice as my initial review pointed out.
The tweet by Clarence Hill was pointing out that this sandwich was more like something cooked by an older black lady named Lucille that her grandkids call “Madea”. Mmmm nah. I don’t think so. I grew up on soul food and Brioche was not in the plan! Lol

This sandwich is a long way from what Clarence is trying to describe

Last edited:

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
No doubt. Brioche is a great choice as my initial review pointed out.
The tweet by Clarence Hill was pointing out that this sandwich was more like something cooked by an older black lady named Lucille that her grandkids call “Madea”. Mmmm nah. I don’t think so. I grew up on soul food and Brioche was not in the plan! Lol

This sandwich is a long way from what Clarence is trying to describe
It's a comparison not meant to be taken literally.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Headlines

Top Bottom