reggie does not need to be returning punts ever agian! (1 Viewer)

He's the best punt returner we have. Lance Moore doesn't get close, and anyone else that gets back there is only there for their hands.

However, he wasn't ready to be returning punts. Hopefully he can be kept limited throughout the stretch, and get himself healthy for the playoffs. Because from tonight's showing, he's not ready yet.

He'll never be ready if you don't eventually put him back there, but I agree with saying he shouldn't been back there that particular play. Give him some easy to field punts in games before putting him in that position.

I've been hard on Bush post game and was ticked. He had no business playing and looked slow as hell.

BUT...He didn't muff it and it wasn't him being careless. It was just a great play to punch it out from behind.

^ This. I said the same thing in chat at the time, after seeing the replay. He could have held the ball closer, but it wasn't so much Reggie being careless as it was a good defensive play.

Calm down on Reggie!!!!

I mentioned a few days ago how Reggie would probably be rusty...yes he cost us some points but you can also say him playing gave this team an emotional lift to start the game...now he gets 10 days to get ready for the next game and that's BIG!!!...By the way..good job Malcolm on that strip to whipe that stupid grin of Roy Williams face...in my book you're the MVP of this game...

^ This. I said the same thing in chat at the time, after seeing the replay. He could have held the ball closer, but it wasn't so much Reggie being careless as it was a good defensive play.

Yep, that was a perfectly executed strip. The exact way your taught to strip a ball from peewee ball to now. That's a fumble nomatter who has that ball.

People love to find something to poke about...Reggie was being worked back into the game, he secured the ball, the guy came over top and poked it out...granted it was a bad play, got Dallas back into the game, but come on...

bonchie said:
I've been hard on Bush post game and was ticked. He had no business playing and looked slow as hell.

BUT...He didn't muff it and it wasn't him being careless. It was just a great play to punch it out from behind.

He didn't muff it, but he was most definitely being careless with the ball. Look at the replay again. He was holding the ball out away from his body. In fact, he even waved his arm up with the ball when he was trying to slow down and make the cut. That's definitely from not being used to live action, but it was killing me tonight, especially after the dropped TD pass.

He looked skittish, out of shape and unused to live action tonight.

I hope he can shake off the rust before next week.

There's no doubting that it was a good special teams play.

But if Bush was 100% they don't get the chance to strip that ball.

You can't "ease" Bush back into a game as a PR, he's a fricking running back.

Punt returning is a bonus of his game, because he has the ability to make something out of nothing. But not when he's far from being 100%.

I LOVE Reggie, and I'm not trying to be hard on him or Payton, but if we lost that game. That would be the single play that this board would be going crazy over.

meily said:
he secured the ball, the guy came over top

Meily, he most definitely did NOT secure the ball. See my previous post and watch the replay again, buddy. I don't want to pile on Reggie. Enough people are on him tonight. Frankly, he deserves all the criticism whether it was rust or not, which I believe it was. What he needs to do is buck up, work hard this week in practice and come out next week with MUCH better focus, desire and intensity.

We could use him for this stretch run.

FWIW he was back there because Moore got dinged up.

I do agree he shouldn't have been back there this week. Should have went with Porter. Dallas had trouble stopping the Saints O, so there was no need for a big play from special teams.

bush hurt the team more tonight than he helped them he was not ready to come back apparently

Meily, he most definitely did NOT secure the ball. See my previous post and watch the replay again, buddy. I don't want to pile on Reggie. Enough people are on him tonight. Frankly, he deserves all the criticism whether it was rust or not, which I believe it was. What he needs to do is buck up, work hard this week in practice and come out next week with MUCH better focus, desire and intensity.

We could use him for this stretch run.

Looks secure enough to me, just a great play by the defender.

1290736979-U10500.jpg

He can be explosive but he's definitely not right now speed wise. He's a good player who would be great if he turned the page from thinking he's going to score a TD on every single play.

Payton said in his presser that he didn't want to use Reggie except for punts where he'd be returning from the 40 or 50, but Lance was having problems with the lights after getting dinged.

Three points:

First, being healthy does not equal being well-conditioned. Bush needs to get his conditioning up. Additionally, he needs to get his timing down.

Second, Bush has always had difficult games returning back from injury. We've seen this storyline so many times before, and I was somewhat surprised that he was back there during that return.

Third, and finally, the interesting thing about Bush is that he usually looks very rusty in his first game and then follows up that performance with a pretty solid game. So he could come up huge next week for us against the Bengals on the road.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom