Report: Saints aren’t paying their fair share of payments for Superdome renovations (Update: Saints paid up!) (2 Viewers)

How are you defining that? Nashville is only about 10 miles closer to Indianapolis and Cincinnati than San Antonio is to Dallas. Baltimore is closer to Pittsburgh. Honestly I don’t think any of that really matters, just not sure what point you’re actually making.
And….:LA Chargers moved from SD….to LA…..:right next door to an already existing team.

The bottom line is the Saints have asked for standard documentation. They haven’t gotten it for a while now. Why ? That’s a problem somewhere.

Austin is unlikely to get an NFL team, even though our growth has us looking good on paper.

Mainly, because the Longhorns own the footprint. Also, the City does not have that kind of money to invest (We are an excellent pro soccer level city). The State aint giving Austin a dime. The Cowboys and Texans have their big fanbases here, which is why the Texas teams would not want $$$$ competition.

Additionally, regionalism is overrated and too far to get to for games. Where would the stadium go? It would have to go NE or SE, away from campus/downtown. It would be awesome to have a stadium on Ladybird Lake, but there aint no place for it. The top billionaires in town just are not football heads.

San Antonio isn't getting a team. That's a Spurs basketball town and they would have to build a whole new stadium since the Alamodome is a substandard stadium that has only diminished their football identity.

The bottom line is the Saints have asked for standard documentation. They haven’t gotten it for a while now. Why ? That’s a problem somewhere.
Latest update (5/23 at 12:30am) from NOLA.com reports that the LSED claims the Saints haven't disputed anything and they are not even sure what further documentation the Saints want.

As someone posted early, can't the Saints and LSED pick up the phone and talk instead of battling thru the media???????????

NOLA.com link

Haha, I’ve been in a very similar situation with the State of Louisiana before.

They want money without the documentation necessary to confirm that the money is going where it’s supposed to go. They refuse to provide it, you hold firm while politely informing them that the money will be transferred with the press of a button as soon as you receive the documentation. So instead they go public to put public pressure on the “rich guys reneging on the deal”.

Because the State of Louisiana can be trusted to not divert money to unintended places, right? 🤦‍♂️

Too bad my execs folded like a cheap suit. They’ll hold firm if it’s Nigeria or Indonesia, because they can go to jail if the money goes in someone’s pockets. In the States though? Not so much.

Last edited:
But there is a tendency in this fanbase to throw the relocation card whenever something from the business side of the franchise has come up.
No one has mentioned relocation.
Not the League.
Not Gayle.
Not the state.
Yep That’s the part that never gets spoken out loud. Until it’s too late. And it always starts with a dispute over facilities.

The odds of the Saints relocating are remote. But this doesn’t bode well for the Pelicans getting an upgraded faciiity.

Public sentiment management.

TBH no one involved here is a friend of the poor folks paying into these projects. We pay taxes for the stadiums, fees to park there, tickets to watch the games, are forced to watch advertisements from "sponsors" that don't seem to be sponsoring any of the aforementioned expenses, and when the party is over the "owner"--who never paid taxes on their public entertainment asset--gets to sell it at an enormous profit when taxpayers become somewhat privy to the unfairness of it all.

At least I get to walk on the sidewalks for free after I've paid for them. :/

Public sentiment management.

TBH no one involved here is a friend of the poor folks paying into these projects. We pay taxes for the stadiums, fees to park there, tickets to watch the games, are forced to watch advertisements from "sponsors" that don't seem to be sponsoring any of the aforementioned expenses, and when the party is over the "owner"--who never paid taxes on their public entertainment asset--gets to sell it at an enormous profit when taxpayers become somewhat privy to the unfairness of it all.

At least I get to walk on the sidewalks for free after I've paid for them. :/
The one good thing here is that the Benson succession plan includes selling their teams (with a provision that they stay in New Orleans) and that "enormous profit" ($5.4B in todays money) going to the City.

Yep That’s the part that never gets spoken out loud. Until it’s too late. And it always starts with a lYep That’s the part that never gets spoken out loud. Until it’s too late. And it always starts with a dispute over facilities.
The odds of the Saints relocating are remote. But this doesn’t bode well for the Pelicans getting an upgraded faciiity.
It’s already a threat in KC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom