Report: Saints aren’t paying their fair share of payments for Superdome renovations (Update: Saints paid up!) (2 Viewers)

Like L.A. and N.Y.?
The Rams (or any football team outside of the Raiders) have never had a deep claim on L.A. That's Lakers/Dodgers country. The Jets joined the NFL with the merger when pro football was still trying building itself. Neither situation applies to an NFL team moving into Austin/SA now.

Jerrah Jones would poop and roll in it before he allows a team in Austin or SA.
Note that he moved Cowboys training camp back to SA immediately after the Saints stint there to remind the locals who owns that town.

Hard to figure but heres my take.

LSED dosen't have the money to finish. They need the Saints to pay so the project can be finished.
Saints see this as leverage opportunity in negotiating a favorable long term lease so they withold payment leaving the project's completion in question.
LSED turns leverage around by leaking story and putting heat back on Saints.
Saints counter with press release putting blame on LSED.
LSED now says they have no idea what Saints are talking about trying to shift responsibility back to Saints.

It's a nasty game of negotiations initiated by the Saints because they see blood (and embarrassment) in the water. It sounds like Lauscha. He was Tom's hitman then, and now.

As for the relocation discussion, if the Saints were to move, I think they would be paired up with the Jaguars and become the first 2 international teams.

Last edited:
So, Jeff Landry just appointed 6 of the 7 members of the LSED board. That is likely the reason for the current conflict and the attempt of both sides to flex on this.
Wait, the same Jeff Landry that got the Bonding Commission to hold up money for many projects in the city, including the Superdome years ago? That Jeff Landry?

Oh boy...

It's not great. But it looks better than when it was that weird green color.
Problem with it now is there's limited space for renovations, expansion, whatever. There's not much more they can do inside the current walls, and expanding could only go towards the parking lot next to the Champions Garage. It's in a pickle IMHO.

Yes, GrandAdmiral, the same Jeff Landry who played politics on the bonding commission.

See Jeff Duncan's take in post 52. My fear is that Duncan is correct--that the real story is that the Benson business structure and the State are no longer working as a team. I don't know the politics involved because Tom Benson's politics were always to the right and I am sure Gayle Benson made hefty contributions to Landry. But with Jeff Landry, everything is perception, culture wars, and political power. Were this a different forum, my stated views would be stronger.

And people forget that 20 years ago there was in the Manship-owned Advocate the infamous editorial titled "Go, Saints, Go," which opposed any State assistance to the team and actually welcomed the team leaving, ostensibly because it would benefit LSU and Baton Rouge. This state has an entrenched zero-sum mindset.

In 2004, Kathleen Blanco thought it was politically wise to publicly make fun of Tom Benson. Before Katrina hit, Tom halted all negotiations with the State. His closest friends, his Texas cronies who later ironically supported Rita in her legal battles, were urging Tom to relocate. I firmly believe that but for Katrina, Tom Benson would have moved the Saints. If anyone deserves a statue in the front of the Superdome, it is Paul Tagliabue. That, of course, can never happen because it would diminish the legacy of the person who does have a statue outside the Superdome.

Even before Landry, I did not see that there was any chance of the Pelicans getting a new arena, but I believed substantial renovations to be possible. I now believe the Pelicans relocating in the future remains a distinct possibility--they could leave without causing a political earthquake. Let's hope that the city's next mayor can build relationships with the other parishes in the metropolitan area and with Baton Rouge. And let's hope that, regardless of record, the Saints organization can prove to doubters like me that it is being capably run and that the arrow for the future of the team is pointed upward. Continued mediocrity not only will hurt the team at the box office but also in political support for any future stadium enhancements.

Last edited:
Yes, GrandAdmiral, the same Jeff Landry who played politics on the bonding commission.

See Jeff Duncan's take in post 52. My fear is that Duncan is correct--that the real story is that the Benson business structure and the State are no longer working as a team. I don't know the politics involved because Tom Benson's politics were always to the right and I am sure Gayle Benson made hefty contributions to Landry. But with Jeff Landry, everything is perception, culture wars, and political power. Were this a different forum, my stated views would be stronger.

And people forget that 20 years ago there was in the Manship-owned Advocate the infamous editorial titled "Go, Saints, Go," which opposed any State assistance to the team and actually welcomed the team leaving, ostensibly because it would benefit LSU and Baton Rouge. This state has an entrenched zero-sum mindset.

In 2004, Kathleen Blanco thought it was politically wise to publicly make fun of Tom Benson. Before Katrina hit, Tom halted all negotiations with the State. His closest friends, his Texas cronies who later ironically supported Rita in her legal battles, were urging Tom to relocate. I firmly believe that but for Katrina, Tom Benson would have moved the Saints. If anyone deserves a statue in the front of the Superdome, it is Paul Tagliabue. That, of course, can never happen because it would diminish the legacy of the person who does have a statue outside the Superdome.

Even before Landry, I did not see that there was any chance of the Pelicans getting a new arena, but I believed substantial renovations to be possible. I now believe the Pelicans relocating in the future remains a distinct possibility--they could leave without causing a political earthquake. Let's hope that the city's next mayor can build relationships with the other parishes in the metropolitan area and with Baton Rouge. And let's hope that, regardless of record, the Saints organization can prove to doubters like me that it is being capably run and that the arrow for the future of the team is pointed upward. Continued mediocrity not only will hurt the team at the box office but also in political support for any future stadium enhancements.
From what you’ve said it seems to be New Orleans Vs the rest of Louisiana, particularly Baton Rouge.
In my opinion, the Saints are more valuable than LSU.
They are the most important entity in the state.

Saying that, this seems more like a business issue more than a relocation issue.

Last edited:
From what you’ve said it seems to be New Orleans Vs the rest of Louisiana, particularly Baton Rouge.
In my opinion, the Saints are more valuable than LSU.
They are the most important entity in the state.

Saying that, this seems more like a business issue more than a relocation issue.

Problem is that Landry's base is in the New Iberia/Lafayette area which adds even more mouths to feed with political favors and money.

I don't think the team would move any time soon, but if they really want to keep the team past Gayle Benson's life time, they need to figure out a way to get a very long lease done and make the Dome state of the art with consistent renovation.

Smh, is Landry really stupid enough to risk the cash cow that is the Superbowl?

"We had a call Thursday with the NFL about the potential impact on the Super Bowl and, while league officials are concerned, they absolutely agree with the necessity to conclude a long-term agreement (or make progress toward one) before providing more funding..."

Smh, is Landry really stupid enough to risk the cash cow that is the Superbowl?

"We had a call Thursday with the NFL about the potential impact on the Super Bowl and, while league officials are concerned, they absolutely agree with the necessity to conclude a long-term agreement (or make progress toward one) before providing more funding..."

Is Landry stupid enough to [Insert Random Dumb Thing Here]?

Yes, yes he is.

Is Landry stupid enough to [Insert Random Dumb Thing Here]?

Yes, yes he is.
If he us trying to run for president in the future, fumbling this will be his down fall

If he us trying to run for president in the future, fumbling this will be his down fall

I doubt Landry's sites are set that high but he can win the rest of the state with his political rhetoric and ignore New Orleans. So a Senate run isn't out of the question. In fact, in many ways the basis of his politics is to paint New Orleans as the enemy to the rest of the state. And it got him elected Governor.

I doubt Landry's sites are set that high but he can win the rest of the state with his political rhetoric and ignore New Orleans. So a Senate run isn't out of the question. In fact, in many ways the basis of his politics is to paint New Orleans as the enemy to the rest of the state. And it got him elected Governor.
We shall see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom