Ryan Nielsen now STAYING with Saints. Not going to LSU (1 Viewer)

I truly doubt this is as simple as "Nielsen gets LSU job offer, Saints deny it, Ryan Nielsen now big mad at Sean Payton/Saints."

It was likely more like "Nielsen offered LSU job, Sean Payton/Saints indicate they don't want him to leave and remind him of his contract terms then tell him they will do right by him and offer him the assistant head coach job along with a fat raise that matches or may even exceed what he was being offered at LSU. Nielsen accepts offer, shakes hands and says he can't wait to get to work on 2021, and leaves Payton or Loomis' office with a smile on his face."

ORRRRRR, Payton and Co. showed they valued him to which is why he AGREED to a new 3yr deal with the promotion of Asst. Head Coach.

People always look for the drama in a situation when this is one of the best organizations in the league and is producing front office people and head coaches (Fontenot and Campbell) and why would the Saints allow that many front office people to leave in one season, if other teams value them why don't you think the Saints value them.

Any coaching job with LSU is a mess atm. They had a historic fall from grace in 1 season. Even if your offense talent took a hit due to opt outs, there is still little excuse for how bad that defense was with a defensive minded coach.

It's actually 0-3. They also interviewed the DC at Miss St. But he wasn't offered the job...even after flying him in on a private jet. Supposedly that guy had interviews with LSU and Oregon, but bombed both.
Coach O wanting too much control on the defense, I guess?

Coach O wanting too much control on the defense, I guess?
No. Neilson was ready to make the jump but got more money and a promotion to Asst Head coach instead. Freeman and his wife wanted to go to ND. They used LSU for slightly more money. LSU offered the bigger contract. But they wanted ND because of their strong catholic ties. Annette, well, rumor is he showed up to the interview in Miss St gear and interviewed horribly. He also wanted full say in his defensive assistants. That means firing people already on staff. That wasn't happening.

Not like LSU was going anywhere next season anyways. Aren't they banned from bowl games for this upcoming season?

The New Orleans Saints defensive line coach Ryan Nielsen will be promoted to assistant head coach.
Nielsen was set to receive an offer from LSU to become their defensive coordinator.

Yeah great counter offer by the team. I was really afraid they would just force him to honor his contract.

Not like LSU was going anywhere next season anyways. Aren't they banned from bowl games for this upcoming season?
NO....that's for THIS recent season. They qualified for a post season bowl game....going 5-5. Things are pointing up for next season.

Whoa I haven't heard that? I know they did a self-imposed ban this year.
They did the self-imposed ban in the hopes that it means the NCAA won't drop the hammer on them. However, many have pointed out that a self-ban during a pandemic-ravaged season where 2-7 teams were getting bowl bids - won't carry much weight in reducing the severity of any sanctions/bans that may be forthcoming.

So basically, the Tigers aren't out of the woods yet - as I understand it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom