Saints fired OC Pete Carmichael (3 Viewers)

But you still have to ask the question, "why did the O-line suck so bad at the beginning of the season?" Because it wasn't just Penning. And about Penning, is his lack of development on him, or the coaching staff?

I can't answer those questions, but I will say that Marrone appears to be the guy that got Ruiz to be a starting level RG (was better last year but serviceable this year after being bad before) and the offensive line did improve as the year went on despite Ram being out. So, maybe Marrone knows what he is doing?

I'm fine with Marrone going and I'd even prefer a new voice to work with the OL in hopes someone new can unlock Penning, but OL strikes me as a position so dependent on other things that it's hard to tell if the OL Coach is doing a good job or not unless you can observe the development of individual players in practice.

But, I will say that Marrone, Thomas, and the assistant they just let go with Carmichael and Burns were the group of 3 that were coordinating the run game this year and it was terrible. So, if he really was a big part of the run game beyond just being the OL coach, I think he needs to go too.

Last edited:
Coach Payton staff is leaving before I very eyes. I think he knew DA would be gone soon and made an early move. Da would be next.

Yeah, I think Carmichael and Burns knew too so they sucked on purpose so they could get fired.

Yes, this is sarcasm.

Thomas was one of the assistant coaches in charge of coordinating our terrible run game this year. I think that is the main reason he was allowed to interview for a lateral move. If the Saints had any intention of keeping him, they would have denied permission for the interview just like they did with Ryan Nielsen.

Yeah, I think Carmichael and Burns knew too so they sucked on purpose so they could get fired.

Yes, this is sarcasm.

Thomas was one of the assistant coaches in charge of coordinating our terrible run game this year. I think that is the main reason he was allowed to interview for a lateral move. If the Saints had any intention of keeping him, they would have denied permission for the interview just like they did with Ryan Nielsen.
The run game doesn't function without the O line and it wasn't like there were gaping holes in the line that the RBs just missed. They were getting hit in the backfield. The same could be said for the passing game. Carr's mental clock was thrown off most of the season due to the failures of the O line which only got better when Penning, and again much later, Ramczyk weren't playing. That is an O line problem and for some reason Marrone is still employed.

I always assumed that the OC had control of his staff? Otherwise wouldn’t they just look at the HC and say something along the lines of “well you hired this position coach you can punish me.”

The run game doesn't function without the O line and it wasn't like there were gaping holes in the line that the RBs just missed. They were getting hit in the backfield. The same could be said for the passing game. Carr's mental clock was thrown off most of the season due to the failures of the O line which only got better when Penning, and again much later, Ramczyk weren't playing. That is an O line problem and for some reason Marrone is still employed.

I don't disagree that there were not holes. But, some of that is play calling (the tendency to always run on first down and too much on second down and 10 and the tells in the scheme. Like everyone knew we were running if Bowden was on the field.

And the pass protection got much better (not good enough but better) as soon as Penning left the field and continued to improve even without Ram.

Like I said, I don't know if Marrone is any good or not, but there are some things that make me think he isn't terrible, Ruiz and improvement this year, but I would still like to see if they can find an upgrade over Marrone. Especially since he was part of the group that schemed the run game.

I don't disagree that there were not holes. But, some of that is play calling (the tendency to always run on first down and too much on second down and 10 and the tells in the scheme. Like everyone knew we were running if Bowden was on the field.

And the pass protection got much better (not good enough but better) as soon as Penning left the field and continued to improve even without Ram.

Like I said, I don't know if Marrone is any good or not, but there are some things that make me think he isn't terrible, Ruiz and improvement this year, but I would still like to see if they can find an upgrade over Marrone. Especially since he was part of the group that schemed the run game.
Agreed. You pointed out that we knew it was a run when Bowden was on the field. It makes me wonder how poorly the passing / running game coordinators worked together that that tendency was obvious for all of us to see. Baffling.

Agreed. You pointed out that we knew it was a run when Bowden was on the field. It makes me wonder how poorly the passing / running game coordinators worked together that that tendency was obvious for all of us to see. Baffling.

The entire offense seemed dis-functional for most of the season. The passing game finally gained some semblance of function in the last 5 games or so, but the run game remained just terrible the whole year. And, the run game was terrible the year before.

The only thing that made the run game look less bad than it was was Taysom running people over. Imagine how bad it would have been without Taysom running people over.

And, even the Taysom stuff seemed ill considered. Sure, he can run people over even if they know what is coming, but how about throw a few more surprises in there with him in the game like a Jet Sweep off of what looks like Read Option? Or even a hand off to a RB? Or give him some easy throws instead of his pass plays always being shot plays?

So what do we as fans want from a new OC? What team out there has an offense we want to emulate? Bills? Eagles? 49ers?

So what do we as fans want from a new OC? What team out there has an offense we want to emulate? Bills? Eagles? 49ers?

I want anyone from the Chiefs, 49ers, Eagles, or Dolphins.

I don’t care if we hire the Jr. Assistant to the Part-time Regional Coaching Intern from one of those teams.

Something that maximizes the skills of the talent we have. There's no reason Shaheed couldn't have a similar impact as the Rams' rookie, Nacua, for example. I'd like to see us emulate what they're doing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom