Saints hosted RB Kareem Hunt and LB Anthony Barr (Upd: Hunt leaves Colts/Vikings visits w/ no deal; Giants cancel Barr visit) (1 Viewer)

Man, something's clearly changed between last season and now. What? I don't know exactly. But this team/staff, just based on this offseason so far, just feels a lot more direct. . .aggressive, maybe? Words are failing me here lol.

Hopefully it translates to the field.
It’s the same reason why I refuse to badmouth Allen. He was promoted up into a very challenging situation last season.

He was the guy, replacing the guy who is inarguably the best coach in franchise history.

So Allen came in and didn’t shake things up in the hopes that what Payton left behind would be workable.

The line “just keep doing what you’ve been doing” that Allen uttered at the conclusion of halftime of an embarrassing game against Arizona has been used by detractors to show why Allen isn’t fit to assess or lead a pro team.

But this season seems more like Allen and Loomis admitting that the cupboard was a little leaner than they’d thought and that changes needed to happen in key spots and in the coaching/training staff.

I’ve been saying for months that if Allen doesn’t succeed this season - it’s not from a lack of trying - because they have left no stone unturned on the roster. They are not repeating “we love the guys we have in the building” like Payton did when his WR roster was a laughingstock in 2021. Allen and Loomis are shaking things up.

So now if Allen fails - you can know it’s time to let him go.

My prediction is that neither makes a significant impact and the rooks at those positions end up playing more often than they do.
Don't think we have a rook at Sam LB that's Baun's spot to lose. I think Kendre will still get his touches regardless, but I concur - by end of season Miller vaults him

Im not sure how I feel about the Hunt signing.

1) he’s washed
2) Beating women is not ok.
And on top of that, it feels like this RB room is too crowded if they're signing him for any more that the vet minimum. Yes we usually carry 4 RBs, but at least one of them needs to be a Special Teams monster. Not seeing that in this group.

This may end up like the 2017 Adrian Peterson signing. Sounded great when we didn't know who Kamara was or what he could do.
The AP signing in 2017 was the reason for my post on the matter as well 😊 He got “Kamara’d” during the preseason.

Slight edge to Barr as to which player sees more action, but he’s on the other side of 30 now. Bounced around the league since putting Aaron Rodgers out of action for a while (also in 2017).

And on top of that, it feels like this RB room is too crowded if they're signing him for any more that the vet minimum. Yes we usually carry 4 RBs, but at least one of them needs to be a Special Teams monster. Not seeing that in this group.
The 4th RB played ST mainly because the top 3 RBs and TH7 received majority carries so it made the 4th back’s spot feel useful. The reserve LBs, DBs, DEs, FB and a WR should be filling the ST spots anyway. We need to carry 4 real RBs for Kamara’s suspension and injury depth to AK and JW. It allows AK to maximize his receiver roles more and keep him with fresh legs at this point in his career.

I'd take him. Kamara should be the only hold over from last year's room. With Williams, still need another vet and a rookie.

I said on March 28th that the Saints still should sign another veteran RB to go along with Williams and draft a rookie RB. Call me Einstein, I'm a genius!

I also said I'd take Fournette to be that veteran RB. Maybe call me Jon Snow instead. But seriously, I t though Hunt would get a multiyear deal somewhere for $6 - 8 million a year to be some team's 1 or 2. I think this is a crazy steal.

Man, something's clearly changed between last season and now. What? I don't know exactly. But this team/staff, just based on this offseason so far, just feels a lot more direct. . .aggressive, maybe? Words are failing me here lol.

Hopefully it translates to the field.
Desperate to win and remain employed beyond 23-24

Im not sure how I feel about the Hunt signing.

1) he’s washed
2) Beating women is not ok.
Agreed wholly on #2. Disagree on #1.
We shall see. Better for us if he’s not washed, so that’s what I’ll be pulling for.
Don't think we have a rook at Sam LB that's Baun's spot to lose. I think Kendre will still get his touches regardless, but I concur - by end of season Miller vaults him
And Baun will lose it. If Barr has one good leg left and half a brain.
The 4th RB played ST mainly because the top 2 RBs and TH7 received majority carries so it made the 4th back’s spot feel useful. The reserve LBs, DBs, DEs, and a WR should be filling the ST spots anyway. We need to carry 4 real RBs for Kamara’s suspension and injury depth to AK and JW. It allows AK to maximize his receiver roles more and keep him with fresh legs at this point in his career.
This all day and cannot be stated enough.

I LOVED Anthony Barr coming out of UCLA (as a player). He’s older now, but he can still help this defense IMHO.

Thinking more about the Hunt signing… is it possible the Saints told him that they will give him ample opportunities during preseason and the first 3 games of the regular season to showcase his ability and value, and then trade him to a RB-needy team once AK gets back?

We have the luxury of carrying another quality NFL proven back on the roster during Kamara's 3 game suspension for a really cheap price with no commitment. I am surprised to see some of these comments. I don't see the downside here.
No knock on Hunt’s abilities to at least garner some snaps, but historically, these kinds of signings have a lukewarm effect at best. When AK returns against the Bucs, he’ll be hellbent for leather, as they say. He’s not sitting behind anybody.

I LOVED Anthony Barr coming out of UCLA (as a player). He’s older now, but he can still help this defense IMHO.
IF we can get lucky (ha) and catch him between injuries.

Thinking more about the Hunt signing… is it possible the Saints told him that they will give him ample opportunities during preseason and the first 3 games of the regular season to showcase his ability and value, and then trade him to a RB-needy team once AK gets back?
I hope they've talked to him about the video incident and whatever else is in his past regarding that. Don't think a cat changes his spots. though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom