Saints hosted RB Kareem Hunt and LB Anthony Barr (Upd: Hunt leaves Colts/Vikings visits w/ no deal; Giants cancel Barr visit) (2 Viewers)

These are insurance signings for a team obviously looking to try and cover all contingencies in order to win. If the young RBs and LBs come through, there’s a good chance these two could be tradeable for a suddenly desperate team early on … we lost a playoff game one time because of a lack of RBs … I am truly pulling for the young LBs (especially Anderson) and both young RBs. But today’s signings give us more proven depth until all the young dudes get a chance to show us their stuff. … and one thing is certain — this is going to be the most fun preseason for Who Dats in years and years

Very important to keep in mind that it appears that we plan to use Kamara as a WR, possibly a lot. So this offers us some package flexibility. Hunt ain’t a slouch catching out of the backfield either.

Phenomenal signing.
That's a big reason why I can get behind this signing in a big way. Having RBs that don't tip your hand is huge. Hunt is a threat to run or catch. That isn't Williams' strong suit and we just don't know yet with Kendre Miller. Don't get me wrong, I hope the guy is the absolute truth and he can be a game breaker running or catching. He was awesome at TCU but I've seen so many awesome college RBs not amount to much in the pros. At least with Hunt you know what you're going to get even if he doesn't have the juice he once had.

For the life of me I can't see the downside here. I mean, which is better Williams & Miller or Williams & Miller & Hunt? Seems clear to me. The Saints aren't settling for just whatever they happen to have on hand this year for depth. They seem determined to have solid players backing up starters. It's almost like they are planning ahead in case of injuries. It's refreshing.

Another thought on this. If it turns out we have too many competent and healthy players at certain positions as we approach the trade deadline in october, those overstock guys become draft picks next April.

Win-win

Another Ohio (Cleveland area) native. Very popular Saints feeding ground. Tough runner but not very fast. Will be interesting to see how this deal plays out.

That makes no sense at all. Please provide data to back up your assumption.
Maybe he meant that Payton chose to use bargain bin/clearance sale players to fill our needs? I think Coach Payton relied on his ability to get the most out of players and his superb play calling. It worked sometimes, but I think we needed an infusion of talent desperately!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom