Schefter: Falcons and Broncos liked Rattler most before picking QBs early. Teams expected him to go mid-2nd-early 3rd (1 Viewer)

I must say, this is about the most hyped up 5th round NFL quarterback I have ever seen, so he’s got that going for him. 😂

The hype it crazy and it's probably a long shot for him to reach his potential, but he has potential like nobody the Saints have drafted since Manning and is more talented than anyone they have drafted since Manning. Of course, given that the Saints have drafted Danny Wuerffel, Ian Book, and Sean Canfield, that isn't saying much.

Anyway, at lest it will be fun to see if he can develop late in preseason games.

I do have one question: Why do almost all of the “professional” draftniks mention Rattler’s great arm talent, but a bunch of keyboard warriors mention that he only has an average arm?
I can confidently say the “keyboard warriors” are in the wrong. Rattler has some areas he will have to improve upon, arm talent/arm strength is not one of those areas. He’s very gifted in that area. These 2 clips below are 50 yard throws on an absolute rope.

55 yards off his back foot hitting his WR in stride with pressure in his face

On the run throws almost 60 yards on the money to his WR (who drops it).

60+ yard throw perfectly in stride, but dropped again by his WR

Last edited:
I can confidently say the “keyboard warriors” are in the wrong. Rattler has some areas he will have to improve upon, arm talent/arm strength is not one of those areas. He’s very gifted in that area. These 2 clips below are 50 to 55 yard throws on an absolute rope.

The throw on that second tweet was SPECIAL. Wow.

I like headwork in my QB, Rattler has terrible headwork. His decision making in just about every game was questionable.

To me, Spencer Rattler has to work on one part of the body. The part between the shoulders. However, as he has already dealt with adversity, the indication is he might have the maturity to accept coaching and improve his processing on and off the field. I just hope the Saints can provide the guidance he needs.

To me, Spencer Rattler has to work on one part of the body. The part between the shoulders. However, as he has already dealt with adversity, the indication is he might have the maturity to accept coaching and improve his processing on and off the field. I just hope the Saints can provide the guidance he needs.
Based on what? Listen to how Beamer glows about him. His head seems fine.

Based on what? Listen to how Beamer glows about him. His head seems fine.
The major criticism of Spencer Rattler has been his decision making on the field when under pressure. He's going to have to deal with a lot of that on and off the field while he develops. I said he seems to have developed enough maturity to deal with pressure and adversity but we’ll see wont we.

I’m a huge fan of Rattler and was high on him before the Saints drafted him. Thought for sure a team would take him in the 2nd round given the natural talent he possesses and the circumstances he worked through. There are concerns about Rattler’s decision making. Some of those concerns are justified, but the big question is to what extent.

There is simply no getting around the fact that Rattler went to a team in South Carolina that wasn’t a QB friendly system, playing for a team that had statistically the toughest schedule in the nation this past season, playing behind an offensive line that went from bad in 2022 to maybe the worst situation in college football in 2023 when accounting for the caliber of defenses they were going against.

There is good and bad that came from all this. The good is that the transition from college to NFL in some ways will be easier for him by playing in more of a “pro style” offense that wasn’t gimmicky like some other were playing in. He also faced more pressure this past season than probably any other QB in this draft class, which should also benefit him to an extent in making quick decisions with the ball.

The bad part of this situation at South Carolina is it makes some of his film really hard to accurately grade, which likely played a role in him dropping for some teams. He made more questionable decisions than you would like to see, but was often making these decisions under a ton of pressure with missed/blown blocking assignments consistently hindering his ability to properly go through his reads. One could argue this even led to him bailing from the pocket early at times instead of trusting his OL would pick up their block causing the timing to be off on some plays.

It’s easy to read about his journey in college and be skeptical of his pro outlook, but there has just been so many flashes of his potential over the past couple years, that I’m on the more optimistic side with Rattler. I firmly believe if Caleb Williams never went to Oklahoma that Spencer Rattler likely would have stayed at Oklahoma and continued to build off his excellent Freshman season. In doing so probably would have been a 1st round pick playing in a more QB friendly offense at Oklahoma with actual quality OL blocking for him.

The Senior Bowl and Combine helped alleviate some of the concerns I had with Rattler. Both of those environments gave Rattler a chance to compete with some of the highly touted peers in this QB class in a neutral setting and by many accounts, he looked like the best of the bunch at the Senior Bowl practices and finished the week as the MVP of the Senior Bowl. Then at the combine also looked good throwing the ball. He also didn’t miss a single throw at his Pro Day.

As a 5th round pick, it’s rare to see a QB with such a high ceiling and will be exciting to see how he develops over the next few years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom