Schefter: Falcons and Broncos liked Rattler most before picking QBs early. Teams expected him to go mid-2nd-early 3rd (1 Viewer)

The hype it crazy and it's probably a long shot for him to reach his potential, but he has potential like nobody the Saints have drafted since Manning and is more talented than anyone they have drafted since Manning. Of course, given that the Saints have drafted Danny Wuerffel, Ian Book, and Sean Canfield, that isn't saying much.

Anyway, at lest it will be fun to see if he can develop late in preseason games.
I remember that Jayden Daniels had to elevate his game and trust his players to make plays. And he did just that. I think DC4 also took some time before he’d throw jump balls. Rattler does not have that issue. My biggest positive besides his arm talent and ability to extend plays with his legs, is he’s as battle tested as any of the second tier QB prospects. JD and CW then Rattler, Nix Penix in that order for most to least battle tested. I’m not counting Haener out, I’ll let training camp decide who’s best. But Haener is not nearly as battle tested as Rattler coming out of college. The competition level at OK is one thing, but to succeed vs an SEC gauntlet without an Oline, is pretty insane and impressive. The NFL will seem like a cake walk lol.

Last edited:
This is interesting, indeed, considering the only real advantage that Rattler has over Haener is arm strength. If I recall correctly, Haener came in more fundamentally sound, so it is interesting to see how Underhill can say that when technique is actually in Haener's favor
I disagree with Nick on this Rattler's knock has been he is reckless with the ball and makes bad decisions. Jake's strength IS his decision making and he protects the ball. Rattler relies too much on arm strength and takes chances . In KK's system Jake is a better fit. But SR has a lot of upside if he can get his head right

I know I’d feel more comfortable with Rattler if Carr went down, then anyone else on the roster. (Being a new system Haener won’t have a leg up)
Completely disagree. Only thing Rattler has above Jake is arm strength, SR is known to make bad decisions and put the ball up for grabs. JH is just the opposite. SR is also known to be immature that's why he slipped to the 5th
The QB position is played between the ears and SR has to prove he has that part

He reminds me of Rodgers. He throws the ball 50/60 yards with just a writ flip. He has all the measurables physically but I would really like to see his S2 test scores. That seems to be a big deal these days as far as defense recognition and speed of reading the D.

Not in the least...lol

Let's just let him be Rattler and whatever he grows to be. Like most in this draft class, his fundamentals are "meh" at most but he has the arm talent. Let's give him the chance to grow and sitting behind Carr should be good for him in that regard.
His fundamentals are not "meh"? His fundamentals is why he's able to make the throws he makes under pressure, his fundamentals is why when the play breaks down and or is pressured in the pocket he still makes the play.

Last edited:
Rattler has a strong arm no doubt, but I want to know if he can lay a ball on the receiver in stride on crossing patterns and shorter passes like Brees, Brady, and Burrow. That's important in the NFL, you can't always throw deep balls the WR can adjust to.
That’s what training camp and preseason games are for.

Your question will be answered.

His fundamentals are not "meh" it's why he's able to make the throws he makes under pressure, because he relies on his fundamentals when the play breaks down and or is pressured in the pocket.
He arm talent is one of the best in the draft and truth be told, is the bulk of what his draft profile talks about. His mechanics, footwork, "full" field vision, needs work. (like others in this draft)
I've said it before, Penix was probably the best QB in the draft when you are looking at actual QB play and not just looking at off-schedule plays but I'm excited for this pick and think him or Haener can be the future but he needs development.

He reminds me of Rodgers. He throws the ball 50/60 yards with just a writ flip. He has all the measurables physically but I would really like to see his S2 test scores. That seems to be a big deal these days as far as defense recognition and speed of reading the D.
I wouldn't put to much stock into that when last year we had all that stuff with stroud only scoring a 18/100 and we see how that turned out. I just hope the kid learns and grows behind carr. Carr could be our alex smith and SR just focuses and learns behind carr.

Pre-Draft overall player rankings by Fox was 83, PFF 77, CBS 80, and Jeremiah had him 80. That's an average of 82 which base on their rankings would have had him drafted mid-way through the 2nd round. So, the Saints pulled the trigger on a value pick that can come in and immediately compete for the QB2 position.

As a 5th round pick it would be great to see Rattler step up his game, however, if he flames out, he was just a low round draft pick that the Saints took a flyer on.

Completely disagree. Only thing Rattler has above Jake is arm strength, SR is known to make bad decisions and put the ball up for grabs. JH is just the opposite. SR is also known to be immature that's why he slipped to the 5th
The QB position is played between the ears and SR has to prove he has that part
We obviously differ in opinion. But I’ll say this, I don’t judge the Qb from high school videos. (If that’s what you’re referring to). I saw the clip where he berated his Wr, if that was berating then I should be in jail. Anyway, he did great things his first year at SC. Beating Tenn and Clemson back to back, among other wins. And actually competing vs Georgia to late in the 4th quarter is impressive. But to be perfectly fair, I’d have to do a deep dive on his negatives. But it was crystal clear that whatever he did that was negaiteve last year at Sc, was purely on the fault of his injured Oline. They showed a graphic of his Oline which showed the amount of different players that played each position and it was insane.

I disagree with Nick on this Rattler's knock has been he is reckless with the ball and makes bad decisions. Jake's strength IS his decision making and he protects the ball. Rattler relies too much on arm strength and takes chances . In KK's system Jake is a better fit. But SR has a lot of upside if he can get his head right

Then you don't disagree with Nick. Nick said that Rattler needs to make better decisions.

The thing is that Haener likely has a ceiling due to his limited athletic ability. He's not a bad athlete, but it's all just about average and good enough. So, unless he develops Drew Brees like accuracy and pocket awareness his ceiling is likely solid backup or low level starter.

Rattler on the other hand could bust because he does make some bad decisions, but if he learns to make better decisions he has the talent to be a good starter. One thing Nick pointed out is that although Rattler sometimes makes bad decision, it's not consistent that he always goes for the deep shot even if it is not there. He will take the short stuff if it's there.

I think the fact that the Kubiak system creates easier and quicker reads, along with easier throws, should help Rattler not make as many mistakes. So, it will help both Rattler and Haener.

We obviously differ in opinion. But I’ll say this, I don’t judge the Qb from high school videos. (If that’s what you’re referring to). I saw the clip where he berated his Wr, if that was berating then I should be in jail. Anyway, he did great things his first year at SC. Beating Tenn and Clemson back to back, among other wins. And actually competing vs Georgia to late in the 4th quarter is impressive. But to be perfectly fair, I’d have to do a deep dive on his negatives. But it was crystal clear that whatever he did that was negaiteve last year at Sc, was purely on the fault of his injured Oline. They showed a graphic of his Oline which showed the amount of different players that played each position and it was insane.

Rattler was berating his WR? If it wasn't the WRs fault he will fit right into the QB room in New Orleans. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom