Shooter incident at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas - 19 children and 2 adults dead (12 Viewers)

other than to intimidate the citizenry -- because it certainly doesn't the thugs -- i see no purpose in displaying taxpayer-funded "artwork" on taxpayer-funded vehicles and uniforms

is it an esprit de corps thing? do cops rally at the sight of a cartoon skull?
Well, I'm nitpticking, but most people outside of comics readers know it as live action movies and/or series.

I don't really understand cops using it as part of their culture considering Frank Castle/Punisher had little love for cops. That, and he's the classic example of a vigilante. So it's odd to me that cops want to use the symbol.

Shooting at a mall in Indiana. Looks like the food court of mall. 4 dead incl shooter and 3 injured.

Looks like a person armed at mall took down the shooter.
This "good guy with a gun"...
elisjsha-dicken.jpg

fared better than these "good guys" with a gun:
merlin_147274770_631e0ef5-0c4c-4a59-8d94-d65b7db3e883-superJumbo.jpg

KIA by police.
c03e2c6f288c7d8854599f2dc3ef3cd5

Shot 4 times by police.

According to this poll more people trust 'good guys with guns' than the police

Also saw this morning that only 22 of the 400+ active shooter situations involved an 'armed good guy' and I'm sure a good number of those 22 were off duty cops, former cops or military
==================================================================

(The Center Square) – Americans trust armed citizens more than law enforcement to stop mass shooters, according to a new poll.

Convention of States Action, along with the Trafalgar Group, released the poll Monday, showing that 41.8% of surveyed voters “believe that an armed citizen would be their best protection if caught in a mass shooting event.”

Only 25.1% say local police would be their best protection, while 10.3% said, federal agents. About a quarter of those surveyed said “none of the above.”

The poll found that 62.2% of those surveyed “are not confident their local law enforcement and government officials could identify and stop a violent person before they started a mass shooting.”

The survey comes on the heels of the tragic shooting in Uvalde, Texas, where law enforcement has been heavily criticized for taking more than an hour to confront the shooter inside an elementary school...........

graph 1.png

graph 2.png

I know this won't help the root cause but, what if all staff were required to wear "panic buttons" around their necks that when activated lets everyone know to get in your rooms and lock the doors? I think that would work better than having an officer in the building and maybe save lives.

For one, outside of Sacramento, Ca it’s the most aesthetically unappealing place I’ve ever visited/lived
Zero charm (any place without a significant body of water or other geological feature is already starting with 2 strikes)
I moved there at the beginning of one of the hottest/driest years on record when there was also a swarm of locust - like a literal biblical plague- but peoples’ braggadocio about the place was in inverse proportion to how ick it was

But my resonant memory of the place (this is not even like a ‘worst’ memory, just emblematic) was my neighbor coming up to me with a tray of lemonade when I was working on the front garden/landscape- she gets to chatting and soon she gets to my house and the color I painted it (I referred to it as ‘Tuscan sunset’)
Eventually she said this was a free country but to remember that freedom of expression is what let the communists take over this country.
I thanked her for the lemonade and just marveled at how she could pull off a triple reverse irony with a layout while standing right in front of me

For one, outside of Sacramento, Ca it’s the most aesthetically unappealing place I’ve ever visited/lived
Zero charm (any place without a significant body of water or other geological feature is already starting with 2 strikes)
I moved there at the beginning of one of the hottest/driest years on record when there was also a swarm of locust - like a literal biblical plague- but peoples’ braggadocio about the place was in inverse proportion to how ick it was

But my resonant memory of the place (this is not even like a ‘worst’ memory, just emblematic) was my neighbor coming up to me with a tray of lemonade when I was working on the front garden/landscape- she gets to chatting and soon she gets to my house and the color I painted it (I referred to it as ‘Tuscan sunset’)
Eventually she said this was a free country but to remember that freedom of expression is what let the communists take over this country.
I thanked her for the lemonade and just marveled at how she could pull off a triple reverse irony with a layout while standing right in front of me
Yeah water is a requirement for me. Rivers or lakes etc.

The area around Austin is nice. Hilly area.

Houston has some nice neighborhoods, with interesting architecture/landscaping. Rice campus is fairly nice. They've also had some of the best groceries I've been to. Weather is of course a disaster though most of the year. You can kinda sorta get used to it.

I've never been to West Texas past San Antonio. A coworker I was chatting one time lived there at one point though. She called it Hell Paso.

But Bakersfield, CA was uglier than any place I've seen in Texas. The central valley of CA (drive from I-5 from LA to SF) is is also surprisingly like the drive from Houston to Austin. The only difference is for large parts of of the trip is that you can see mountains off in the distance.

The area around Austin is nice. Hilly area.

Houston has some nice neighborhoods, with interesting architecture/landscaping. Rice campus is fairly nice. They've also had some of the best groceries I've been to. Weather is of course a disaster though most of the year. You can kinda sorta get used to it.

I've never been to West Texas past San Antonio. A coworker I was chatting one time lived there at one point though. She called it Hell Paso.

But Bakersfield, CA was uglier than any place I've seen in Texas. The central valley of CA (drive from I-5 from LA to SF) is is also surprisingly like the drive from Houston to Austin. The only difference is for large parts of of the trip is that you can see mountains off in the distance.
My reply was specific to N Tx
tbh, I’ve said the same broadly about ‘Texas’ but whenever i people mention the Austin area - I’ve only been to Austin proper and mostly on/near UT (which is fine)
Similar with Houston - the places where I performed seemed fine

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom