Shooter incident at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas - 19 children and 2 adults dead (1 Viewer)

I think you’re description is over broad- ‘society’ didn’t shape the police so much as landed gentry and slave owners did
One ‘fix’ would be for the police to be reflective of an actual democratic society and have civilian review as an integral part of policing
I’m just throwing a blanket out there. Sure, “all” society isn’t to blame, but a significant portion is. We have had a few years since the last slave owner to steer ourselves in the right direction and haven’t. It’s going to take all of us to right the ship. My point is that sitting on the porch hollering across the road and shaking your fist isn’t going to solve anything. As much as a lot of us like to think “I’m good, they are bad”, no one is good all the time or as good as they think they are.

The challenge is that any sort of policing reform is going to require buy in from the communities they serve. That means whatever proposed solution that are offered need to be accepted. I don't think any sort of reform done by fiat will work.

The challenge is that any sort of policing reform is going to require buy in from the communities they serve. That means whatever proposed solution that are offered need to be accepted. I don't think any sort of reform done by fiat will work.
I’ve said before and really believe it to be true - too many in our culture have a fetish for punishment. Like they would like nothing more than public executions and flogging coming back into vogue. Like they enjoyed Cops to an unhealthy degree
For them bad policing is a feature not a bug
I think it will have to be top down reform
I’m not sure how White Nationalists, et al, get ferreted out of the system

A rapidly growing manufacturer of AR-15-style rifles tried to run an ad during the Super Bowl in 2014, knowing that the NFL typically does not allow gun commercials during its marquee event.

But Daniel Defense — the maker of the semiautomatic rifle used in the Uvalde school shooting — privately had in place a plan to generate publicity whether the ad aired or not, according to previously unreported court documents that shed light on the gunmaker’s marketing strategies.

If it aired, Daniel Defense’s top marketing executive planned to have people across the country complain about the company’s own ad to left-leaning media organizations, stirring controversy and generating coverage.

If the ad was rejected, records show, the executive had arranged for a prominent National Rifle Association commentator to release a prerecorded online video accusing the National Football League of censorship and hypocrisy.

“I had two plans, you know,” Daniel Defense’s former marketing director, Jordan Hunter, a former Marine, said during a May 2015 deposition in a trademark infringement case. “That’s from the Marine Corps days, two plans. If it goes bad, you have another.”

An examination of Daniel Defense’s marketing, based on court filings, interviews, internal documents and other records, shows how the gunmaker over the past decade devised publicity stunts, paid for favorable coverage in newsstand magazines and employed other aggressive tactics to entice Americans to buy its AR-style semiautomatic rifles.

Daniel Defense’s fortunes rose in parallel with the popularity of the guns known as AR-15s. The weapons, sometimes referred to as “America’s rifle,” are beloved by many gun enthusiasts but are seen by gun-control advocates as an instrument of carnage.

The marketing strategies of Daniel Defense and other gun manufacturers have come under increased scrutiny in recent months amid deadly mass shootings by gunmen using AR-style rifles in Buffalo, Uvalde, Tex., and Highland Park, Ill.

The CEOs of Daniel Defense, Smith & Wesson and Sturm, Ruger & Co. have been called to testify before the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday, part of the panel’s investigation into the sales and marketing of AR-style semiautomatic rifles.

And earlier this month, Everytown for Gun Safety, a group that promotes gun control, asked the Federal Trade Commission to investigate Daniel Defense’s marketing, arguing that federal and state laws prohibit advertising that promotes the unsafe or illegal use of dangerous products…….

Interesting POV from someone who's dealt with very disturbed individuals. I don't know if it applies to all cases, but certainly ones like this seem to match when you read reports of how the shooter was bullied and humiliated in school. It certainly seems possible that he had suffered the 'death of his soul' and was seeking some type of resurrection of feeling.

At a House Oversight and Reform Committee hearing on Wednesday, Ryan Busse, a former gun industry insider who regularly speaks out about the decisions and tactics that flooded the United States with military-style rifles, put up a photo of a banner from a recent gun show.

It depicted a Revolutionary War soldier firing an AR-15. The caption read, “Gear for your daily gunfight.”

It is this kind of marketing that turned the AR-15 into an enormous cash cow for the firearms industry.

As a new report from the committee demonstrates, this weaponry is generating hundreds of millions of dollars in annual sales, with marketing tactics aimed at young men anxious about their masculinity.

Busse’s testimony and the information the committee gathered showed just how committed the gun industry — and the Republican Party — have become to putting military-style weapons into civilian hands, no matter how many lives it costs.

But they also showed that undoing what has been done, or even stopping it from getting worse, will be next to impossible.

Right now, a bill to outlaw new sales of military-style weapons is moving through the House; the Judiciary Committee approved it on a party-line vote last week. President Biden has endorsed a ban.

But in highlighting the ubiquity of these deadly weapons, the Oversight Committee’s report and the testimony highlighted the very factor gun advocates, including those on the Supreme Court, will use to insulate these guns from regulation.

As Busse testified, the industry markets AR-15s by telling people they can “use what the Special Forces guys use,” and by getting guns featured in movies and in first-person-shooter video games.

Busse said: “The industry condones frightening marketing that openly partners with domestic terror [organizations] like the Boogaloo Bois, a group that hopes for race wars and wears Hawaiian shirts."

And the committee’s report does show how one company sells an AR-15 adorned in a Hawaiian shirt pattern, called the “Big Igloo Aloha” rifle. “Big Igloo” is a social media variation of “Boogaloo.”

All this adds up to an industry that quite consciously markets its products not as a way to responsibly defend your home, but as an instrument of murder and mayhem……

During a hearing intended to examine the accountability of the firearms industry in America’s gun violence epidemic on Capitol Hill on Wednesday, executives from two gun manufacturers refused to take any responsibility for recent mass shootings carried out by gunmen using assault weapons made by their companies.

Marty Daniel, founder and CEO of Daniel Defense, which manufactured the AR-15-style rifle that was used by the 18-year-old gunman in the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, testified before the House Committee on Oversight and Reform that he was “deeply disturbed” by the massacres in Uvalde, Highland Park, Ill., and Buffalo, N.Y.

“What we saw in Uvalde, Buffalo and Highland Park was pure evil,” Daniel said in his testimony, which was given virtually. “Lately, many Americans, myself included, have witnessed an erosion of personal responsibility.”

Mass shootings, Daniel said, were “all but unheard of just a few decades ago — so what changed? Not the firearms.”

“I believe our nation’s response needs to focus not on the type of gun but on the type of persons who are likely to commit mass shootings,” he said.

Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y., chair of the committee, asked Daniel if he felt any personal responsibility for manufacturing and marketing the gun used by the gunman in Uvalde..............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom