Six percent of people think they can beat a grizzly bear (2 Viewers)

As Tim Treadwell learned, if a brown bear wants to eat you, he will.
99% of the time they just want you gone.

Yep, tragic but that woman should have left the area….they mention the Big Blackfoot River, which was indeed made famous by the “Movie”….but the fly fishing scenes were actually filmed on The Gallatin….a bit of fishing nerd trivia….

The only ones who are agressive are yellowjackets. The sound of a lawn mower will send them into attack mode.
Red wasps are gentle. They won't attack unless you physically threaten their nest. They are also known as a
gardeners best friend. Leave them be. They prey on insects that damage yours plants
…..Unlike bees, which we adore for their honey and waggle dances, wasps have suffered from a poor public image for millennia.

In the 4th century BC, Aristotle dismissed wasps as “devoid of the extraordinary features that characterise bees”, adding conclusively, “they have nothing divine about them”.

Since then you’d struggle to find a sympathetic cultural portrayal of wasps.

Swarms of wasps smite unbelievers in the Bible. Shakespeare warns of waspish behaviour. We disparage the snobbishness of WASPs.

The Wasp Woman epitomised the nightmarish (and somewhat sexist) association we have with the archetype. Wasps are narrow-waisted huntresses to be feared. Or at the very least, swatted away.

Professor Seirian Sumner, a behavioural ecologist and entomologist at University College London, believes it is time to draw a line under this sorry history. She has spent the past 25 years studying and advocating for wasps.

Aristotle, Shakespeare, The Wasp Woman – it’s all part of a vast catalogue of anti-wasp media that she wearily describes in her book Endless Forms: The Secret World of Wasps….

…..Unlike bees, which we adore for their honey and waggle dances, wasps have suffered from a poor public image for millennia.

In the 4th century BC, Aristotle dismissed wasps as “devoid of the extraordinary features that characterise bees”, adding conclusively, “they have nothing divine about them”.

Since then you’d struggle to find a sympathetic cultural portrayal of wasps.

Swarms of wasps smite unbelievers in the Bible. Shakespeare warns of waspish behaviour. We disparage the snobbishness of WASPs.

The Wasp Woman epitomised the nightmarish (and somewhat sexist) association we have with the archetype. Wasps are narrow-waisted huntresses to be feared. Or at the very least, swatted away.

Professor Seirian Sumner, a behavioural ecologist and entomologist at University College London, believes it is time to draw a line under this sorry history. She has spent the past 25 years studying and advocating for wasps.

Aristotle, Shakespeare, The Wasp Woman – it’s all part of a vast catalogue of anti-wasp media that she wearily describes in her book Endless Forms: The Secret World of Wasps….

As someone who has been stung by a red wasp frequently for the sole reason of walking into my storage shed, count me in the anti-wasp propaganda promoter.

Wasps shmasps, this is the face of evil.

9fcdc83a7fe825fa48d6e993fee24176.jpg

I have taken on red wasps and hornets. Gotta agree, hornets are bad to the bone, but i will raise you a different species of wasp, the yellow jacket:

1661349293701.png

You will get stung three or four times before you can finish reading this.

I have taken on red wasps and hornets. Gotta agree, hornets are bad to the bone, but i will raise you a different species of wasp, the yellow jacket:

1661349293701.png
When I was a teen I was mowing my grandmothers yard. I ran over their nest. Immense pain soon followed. I set
a land speed record running into her house.

When I was a teen I was mowing my grandmothers yard. I ran over their nest. Immense pain soon followed. I set
a land speed record running into her house.

Happened to me mowing my lawn about 12 years ago….I got hit about 6 times before I realized what was going on….luckily I’m not allergic, it was annoying but not too painful…..

I put hornets first because they're so insanely, pointlessly vicious.

I parked my truck in the middle of a supermarket parking lot in Spokane one summer, opened the door only to feel a sting in my armpit, followed by another on my neck. I smacked her out of the air, but wasn't fast enough to squish the damn thing before she flew away.

That friggin hornet crossed 200 yards of blacktop on a hot summer day just to sting me.

Happened to me mowing my lawn about 12 years ago….I got hit about 6 times before I realized what was going on….luckily I’m not allergic, it was annoying but not too painful…..
I'm lucky I wasn't allergic either. I got hit a lot more times than 6 though :). I believe the whole colony went into attack
mode on me. The only things I was wearing were a pair of tennis shoes and shorts. Most of the hits were on my back
as I was running into her house. It hurt,your pain tolerance is greater than mine.

The above said,it was not the most powerful sting I've experienced. That honor goes to a red wasp. They are usually
docile unless you attack their nest. I was moving an old BBQ grill . Red wasps had built a nest inside. I got hit about
10 times. It felt like getting hit with a branding iron.

All I can say is thank God 4 of these 5 don't live in my area

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom