Some thoughts on Reggie Bush and next season (1 Viewer)

I will say it again,

Reggie's use as a weapon, has more to do with the coaches approach. Keep in mind that the numbers he has amassed in his first 28 games, he has a total of 312 carries.

Thats a grand total of 11 carries a game. Avg per carry 3.7 yards

Reggie will never be a legit weapon (on the ground), until the coach consistently gives him the opportunity.

Instead, Payton typically will abandon the run if the guys gets stopped more than twice in in a row.

So when it all boils down, Reggie gets 11 cars a game, averaging 3.7 yards per rush, on 312 career carrers.

Ladainian Tomlinson had 336 carries his rookie year, for a whooping 3.6 average per rush.

Without the opportunities, Reggie can't be a Chris Paul, who has the ball every offensive possesion.

The only person that can make Reggie Bush a Chris Paul type player, is Sean Payton. Hand the kid the ball and let him run.

I will say it again,

Reggie's use as a weapon, has more to do with the coaches approach. Keep in mind that the numbers he has amassed in his first 28 games, he has a total of 312 carries.

Reggie will never be a legit weapon (on the ground), until the coach consistently gives him the opportunity.

Instead, Payton typically will abandon the run if the guys gets stopped more than twice in in a row.

So when it all boils down, Reggie gets 11 cars a game, averaging 3.7 yards per rush, on 312 career carries.

Ladainian Tomlinson had 336 carries his rookie year, for a whooping 3.6 average per rush.

Without the opportunities, Reggie can't be a Chris Paul, who has the ball every offensive possession.

The only person that can make Reggie Bush a Chris Paul type player, is Sean Payton. Hand the kid the ball and let him run.

I hear all that and I agree, but this is more about his commitment to getting better, something and the fact he is admitting he needs to spend more time training with his team and coaches, so that he can improve as a runner, and improve in his knowledge of the offense....I think getting back to fundamentals will increase his carries per game and his ypc...we complained till we were blue in the face about his dancing in the back field or free styling instead of following Karney...all that will be fixed with him spending more time with his teammates studying film, which to me will translate to your argument that he didn't get enough touches, because he will get more touches because he will be a more consistent player in the run game.

Totally agree with your post and I think your argument and mine go hand and hand.

Instead, Payton typically will abandon the run if the guys gets stopped more than twice in a row.

Does Payton abandon the run because Reggie isn't gaining any yards, or because he is getting hit so hard he has to be helped off the field?

I will say it again,

So when it all boils down, Reggie gets 11 cars a game, averaging 3.7 yards per rush, on 312 career carrers.

Without the opportunities, Reggie can't be a Chris Paul, who has the ball every offensive possesion.

Football is more of a team sport than bball...Guys have to block, coaches have to make the right calls and use players effectively...In bball you can basically run the pick and roll with paul and it becomes unstoppable.

In football, you can't just hand it to reggie and expect him to produce. Everyone has to do their job, and his success is more of a tribute to his teammates and his coaches. Ask LT about his rookie year and he will tell you he was on one of the worst teams in the league with one of the worst coaches. He didn't just suddenly become a great talented player all of a sudden. His team got better. And he would be the first to tell you that.

Does Payton abandon the run because Reggie isn't gaining any yards, or because he is getting hit so hard he has to be helped off the field?

Unless this happens everytime he touches the ball I dont see your point, other than the fact you just had to say something negative....i've seen the guy take some shots and come off the field...but I've seen him right back on the field a play later...i've seen plenty of football players take a hit and walk off or get help off the field and return to play...Reggie isnt the first and wont be the last.

I mean, from the reports released during last season, Reggie injured his knee in the Jaguars game. With that said, he played four games with a damaged knee ligament (same injury Peterson had, but took two weeks off).

Reggie did get knocked in the Carolina game, and that was an obvious, lights out hit, but that in no way makes me question wheter he can handle more than 10 carries a game.

I mean, is he less likely to get hit, on the 2 million dump passes, and quick screens we trhough him. Not at all.

My thing is this, I'm totally fine with Reggie and his ablility, b/c I know our offense is loaded with talent, that draws good match up because opponents know better than to try to account for Reggie with one man (that's suicide).

I just hate to see the kid get critisized for his ability as a runner when he isn't given a fair shake, to do so.

Because you get injured, doesn't mean you cant take the way too often overused "pounding." Big backs get hurt just as frequently as 200 lb backs. Injuries happen, whether Reggie can take the "pounding" is a silly argument.

Deuce ways 230+ and has had two season ending injuries. And missed games with injuries.

Everyone who steps onto a football field has an equal stake in the risk of injury.

I mean, from the reports released during last season, Reggie injured his knee in the Jaguars game. With that said, he played four games with a damaged knee ligament (same injury Peterson had, but took two weeks off).

Reggie did get knocked in the Carolina game, and that was an obvious, lights out hit, but that in no way makes me question wheter he can handle more than 10 carries a game.

I mean, is he less likely to get hit, on the 2 million dump passes, and quick screens we trhough him. Not at all.

My thing is this, I'm totally fine with Reggie and his ablility, b/c I know our offense is loaded with talent, that draws good match up because opponents know better than to try to account for Reggie with one man (that's suicide).

I just hate to see the kid get critisized for his ability as a runner when he isn't given a fair shake, to do so.

Because you get injured, doesn't mean you cant take the way too often overused "pounding." Big backs get hurt just as frequently as 200 lb backs. Injuries happen, whether Reggie can take the "pounding" is a silly argument.

Deuce ways 230+ and has had two season ending injuries. And missed games with injuries.

Everyone who steps onto a football field has an equal stake in the risk of injury.

:potd:

I disagree.

Look at Welker, who almost never takes a direct hit. Look at Emmit Smith and Dunn, that followed blocking, and always ducked under the direct hit. Look at Walter Payton, that had such wonderful flexibility he could be bent backward and bounce right up. Reggie doesn't seem to have great flexibility, and has a special knack for getting hit right in the chest.

I'm as big a Reggie fan as anyone else, but if used as an every down back, he is an injury waiting to happen.

I disagree.

Look at Welker, who almost never takes a direct hit. Look at Emmit Smith and Dunn, that followed blocking, and always ducked under the direct hit. Look at Walter Payton, that had such wonderful flexibility he could be bent backward and bounce right up. Reggie doesn't seem to have great flexibility, and has a special knack for getting hit right in the chest.

I'm as big a Reggie fan as anyone else, but if used as an every down back, he is an injury waiting to happen.

I thought Reggie was notorious for avoiding contact and now I'm hearing he absorbs too much contact????? :idunno:

The Reggie threads are ridiculous these days for me its time to start ignoring them.

I disagree.

Injuries don't happen on an equal scale. A back could have 12 carries in his first real game to get to play and get hurt like PT did this year. A back could have 200 carries and never tweak anything. Alot of RB injuries aren't even a result of contact. Any player on the field can get hurt anyway at anytime.

I disagree.

all the players you listed at some point had some type of injury, you cant play football and not have some type of injury...I remember Emmit breaking his collar bone vs the Giants, I'm sure Dunn and Payton had there share of time in the ice tub....your lucky when you can have a career as long as Payton and Dunn and not have a career threatening injury, and Welker....well he's still young too, so.....(knock on wood) I wouldnt be to quick to throw his name out there, he just aint ran across the right safety yet...injuries are part of the game.

LIONs... TIGERs.... and BEARs.... oh my.

Colston, Meachem, and Bush.... oh my. That's a hand-full for any DC. And let's never forget those sneaky lurkers.... Miller, Patten, Johnson, Henderson, Moore and... the Deuce. -Plus- A guy like D.Brees pulling the trigger.

people talk about Meachum like ha had a 1000 yard season! the guy hasnt played a down yet. put away the annointing oil...

I disagree.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic here...........that statement has to be a joke.

all the players you listed at some point had some type of injury, you cant play football and not have some type of injury...I remember Emmit breaking his collar bone vs the Giants, I'm sure Dunn and Payton had there share of time in the ice tub....your lucky when you can have a career as long as Payton and Dunn and not have a career threatening injury, and Welker....well he's still young too, so.....(knock on wood) I wouldnt be to quick to throw his name out there, he just aint ran across the right safety yet...injuries are part of the game.

I was going to go there but didnt.

It kills me to think that people dont get the fact that injuries, as much as we hate them, are a part of the game you can't controll.

Just look at last years team.
Colston, Grant, Young,

McKenzie; gets injured trying to recover a fumble.

Bress (gets injured in the pro bowl of 2006).

Jerry Rice Gets Face masked by Warren Sapp and tears up his knee.

Deuce tears his ACL jumping for a pass.

Rod Woodson tears his ACL w/o even touching Barry Sanders.

Emmit Plays with a seerated shoulder.

Young and Aikman careers shortened by concussions.

No matter what position you play, how big are small you are, it can happen.

Period.

If posters hear dont recognize (or know) that, matybe someday they'll understand.

Let me just say, Meily hit the nail on the head, with the word "Lucky."

Not only are we watching some of the best athletes, but you have to be extremely lucky to make it through an NFL career in good health.

Because injuries can happen at practice, pre-season, or regular season games.

Its no coincidence that the average NFL career is about 4 years.

How about looking up LeCharles Bentley.

He was known for issuing out the pounding (j/k).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom