Breaking! Spencer Rattler named starting QB ; Jay Glazer reports Rattler expected to start next 3-4 games (month) until Carr’s return (6 Viewers)

Bad OLine. Rookie QB. Buc defense that gets after it. 16-35. 1 TD. 2 Int. 1 Fumble loss. Bucs 34 Saints 19. First thing that came to my head.

Bad OLine. Rookie QB. Buc defense that gets after it. 16-35. 1 TD. 2 Int. 1 Fumble loss. Bucs 34 Saints 19. First thing that came to my head.
Probably not far off, though I don't think the Bucs break 30 points. Maybe something like 27-13.

I am a terrible judged of talent - especially when it comes to NFL QBs.

I remember when people were going gaga over Pat Mahomes and I was like “he’s just another one of those college QBs who has goofy stats because he plays for a team that throws 60 times a game”. Even when LSU played Texas Tech in the Cotton Bowl, I failed to see an NFL star in the making.

Same with Lamar Jackson. I couldn’t see what everyone else was seeing with him.

So, having admitted my putrid eye for talent - I’m curious what all the people so pumped about Rattler see in him that makes them feel like he’s a star in the making?

I want to understand why he’s different than all the other college QBs who put up good numbers and are little more than footnotes in the league.

I want to understand what makes him more than a, say, Desmond Ridder type player?

I want to be able to understand why everyone is so jazzed that our starter is injured (not the injury itself but the opportunity it presents for Rattler).

I want to see beyond my clearly poor eye for talent.

Enlighten me, friends!

Rattler is the slowest QB on the team. He ran a 4.95, but he does like to create with mobility. Carr is the fastest full time QB with a sub 4.7, but he tries to play from the pocket. Haener is in the 4.8 range, and he also prefers the pocket. Rattler isn’t going to run away from people, so he needs to use his arm.
The only seconds I care about in a QB is the amount that he extends plays when the pocket breaks. And our offenses pocket breaks badly on most plays. So if he adds 1.2 seconds, I'm happy.

Probably not far off, though I don't think the Bucs break 30 points. Maybe something like 27-13.

The D hasn't given up over 26 points in a game this year and that was to Mahomes and the Chiefs at Arrowhead. Seems unlikely they give up 30 or more to the Bucs at home.

I remember when people were going gaga over Pat Mahomes and I was like “he’s just another one of those college QBs who has goofy stats because he plays for a team that throws 60 times a game”. Even when LSU played Texas Tech in the Cotton Bowl, I failed to see an NFL star in the making.

So, having admitted my putrid eye for talent - I’m curious what all the people so pumped about Rattler see in him that makes them feel like he’s a star in the making?

I want to understand why he’s different than all the other college QBs who put up good numbers and are little more than footnotes in the league.

I want to understand what makes him more than a, say, Desmond Ridder type player?

I want to be able to understand why everyone is so jazzed that our starter is injured (not the injury itself but the opportunity it presents for Rattler).

Enlighten me, friends!
He is a QB with a very unique path to get to where he is today. One that does require a bit of nuance in attempting to evaluate him. He was a massively hyped QB prospect going from high school to college. He had a great freshman season with Oklahoma displaying top level arm talent and ability to improvise and create something out of nothing with his mobility. He had arguably the most hyped up QB out of high school in the past 20 years (at the time) sign at Oklahoma in Caleb Williams following Rattler's great Freshman season. This led to a bit of a toxic situation at Oklahoma.

Rattler transferred to South Carolina which honestly was not the best decision for him to find success (looking at guys in the same draft class like Penix and Nix who transferred to much more friendly offensive systems to showcase their ability). They had arguably one of the worst offensive line situations in college football last season having to start several true freshman due to a multitude of injuries across the OL. While playing one of the toughest schedules in college football last year.

Rattler was under constant pressure and there were several games where you couldn't even get a decent evaluation on him last year because of this. Rattler showed his talent quite often while at South Carolina the toughest part was trying to decipher his decision making. He made more "poor decisions" than you'd like to see out of a top tier QB prospect, but trying to decipher how many of those were due to the constant pressure he was facing because of his OL situation and the need to make plays to keep his team in the game make that aspect of his game really hard to evaluate.

I thought the Senior Bowl was huge for him. It finally gave him a chance to show what he could do when in an equal setting with some of his peers in this draft class. Guys like Penix and Nix were also at the Senior Bowl this year. By most accounts and from what I saw in watching the Senior Bowl footage that was available, Rattler looked the best out of those 3 during the week of practice and during the game. Rattler even won Senior Bowl MVP. Fast forward to preseason and he continued to impress and make some real nice throws while showing his ability to improvise and for the most part kept the offense moving and came away with points on many of his drives.

Some examples of impressive "wow" plays that have people like myself so excited about him:

Last edited:

Enlighten me, friends!

He's different because he has an amazing arm, the ability to move around in the pocket to buy time and the arm to make amazing throws on the move. He's also very accurate and doesn't seem to panic under pressure. He's a modern NFL QB in that he is a pocket passer but he's a good enough athlete to buy time in the pocket, make off schedule throws, and to take rushing yards when they are there.

He also seems to have gained the respect of his team in a short period of time and they seem to be excited to see him get a shot. In short, he has a lot of the traits that Mahomes has, but of course he's going to have to put that on the field and prove that he has the work ethic to keep developing and learn the game. But he has every physical tool needed to be great.

I mean some of the throws he made in preseason were amazing. If he can learn to consistently do that, the sky is the limit for him.

Rattler will have a good game and the Saints will win. Tampa Bay will be a little distracted by the aftermath of Milton and that will give the Saints the slight edge they need to win.

He is a QB with a very unique path to get to where he is today. One that does require a bit of nuance in attempting to evaluate him. He was a massively hyped QB prospect going from high school to college. He had a great freshman season with Oklahoma displaying top level arm talent and ability to improvise and create something out of nothing with his mobility. He had arguably the most hyped up QB out of high school in the past 20 years (at the time) sign at Oklahoma in Caleb Williams following Rattler's great Freshman season. This led to a bit of a toxic situation at Oklahoma.

Rattler transferred to South Carolina which honestly was not the best decision for him to find success (looking at guys in the same draft class like Penix and Nix who transferred to much more friendly offensive systems to showcase their ability). They had arguably one of the worst offensive line situations in college football last season having to start several true freshman due to a multitude of injuries across the OL. While playing one of the toughest schedules in college football last year.

Rattler was under constant pressure and there were several games where you couldn't even get a decent evaluation on him last year because of this. Rattler showed his talent quite often while at South Carolina the toughest part was trying to decipher his decision making. He made more "poor decisions" than you'd like to see out of a top tier QB prospect, but trying to decipher how many of those were due to the constant pressure he was facing because of his OL situation and the need to make plays to keep his team in the game make that aspect of his game really hard to evaluate.

I thought the Senior Bowl was huge for him. It finally gave him a chance to show what he could do when in an equal setting with some of his peers in this draft class. Guys like Penix and Nix were also at the Senior Bowl this year. By most accounts and from what I saw in watching the Senior Bowl footage that was available, Rattler looked the best out of those 3 during the week of practice and during the game. Rattler even won Senior Bowl MVP. Fast forward to preseason and he continued to impress and make some real nice throws while showing his ability to improvise and for the most part kept the offense moving and came away with points on many of his drives.

Some examples of impressive "wow" plays that have people like myself so excited about him:

If Rattler's confidence was a candle, this is what his would look like:
8XGK.gif

Rattler will have a good game and the Saints will win. Tampa Bay will be a little distracted by the aftermath of Milton and that will give the Saints the slight edge they need to win.
He may have a good game but DA is still the head coach. It will be the typical scenario: close game and DA makes questionable decisions that lose it at the end.

In college he had that "Mahommes type of throw in him".... Where you go... "Got'em - Got'em - Got'em - Got'em - Damnit... Don't Got'em - No way he made that throw".

Those throws are the great equalizer in the NFL... They extend drives, and demoralize a defense... If he can do that at this level... Hold on to your hats... I can't wait to see if he can.

His upside potential is off the charts.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom