Breaking! Spencer Rattler named starting QB ; Jay Glazer reports Rattler expected to start next 3-4 games (month) until Carr’s return (9 Viewers)

I’m not going to say that starting Haener would have been waving the white flag but he would be the conservative choice. He’s steady but he hasn’t shown the ability to inspire the offense and make it better. We probably lose in a slog of a game. Not because he’s god awful but because he doesn’t have the quality to elevate those around him. At least not yet. As someone said he’s probably Colt McCoy. That’s not the worst thing in the world, but….

Rattler has the better pedigree. He can elevate those around him. He has the blue chip talent. He can extend plays and improvise. He’s just more dynamic. However. he is a rookie and is raw in some respects. I think this decision does show the team isn’t giving up and expects to compete.

Will we win? I dunno but I think the game will be more exciting and interesting with Rattler.

I hope Carr never plays for us again... in that Rattler is IT and we are good for the long run with him!
Even if Rattler plays well, I'd rather have him get his taste of the real NFL and go back to learning for the rest of this season. There have been examples of QBs coming in mid season and succeeding, but most of them were already the heir apparent going into the season and just not having enough experience to start week 1 as a rookie. This isn't Rattlers reality. Carr was the entrenched starter and got most of the reps all off season. If Rattler is going to be the guy, I think the best way to do it is to give him the whole off season working under that assumption.

I want to understand why he’s different than all the other college QBs who put up good numbers and are little more than footnotes in the league.

I want to understand what makes him more than a, say, Desmond Ridder type player?
This may seem like a very simple explanation, but the difference is that the league is made up mostly of guys who can "make passes" and a select few who "make plays."

When you watch Rattler play, he shows flashes that he is a guy who will go out and "make plays"...at this level, every QB can stand in the pocket and deliver passes on time with pretty good accuracy. The thing that makes guys like Mahomes, Lamar, Josh Allen different than guys like Justin Hebert and Gino Smith is that they are able to generate positive plays off script. When guys are covered up and the pocket collapses, is it a throw away or 6 yard loss? Or is it an escape with eyes up looking for an outlet or scramble?

No telling who Rattler really is at the NFL level, but those folks on here talking about how he could be our future franchise QB are looking at (1) arm strength, (2) escapability, and (3) off script plays. If you have all of those things, you have a chance to be special in the NFL.

One of the things that stands out to me is his spacing and footwork. He seems to have a knack for buying time by seeing where on the field he'll have the most time to throw. He's slippery and his release is really quick so he can wait til a guy is almost in his face and still put the ball where the WR can catch it. While it's CFB, those characteristics he shows are going to be really important in the pros. His arm is unquestionably elite.

The rest, we'll have to wait and see how he does.

I'm trying to temper my expectations but it's hard. My one question left for Rattler was whether the staff thought he was ready to start. It was confirmed that the staff think he is ready by Underhill and then by DA naming him the starter.

You are right about the footwork and spacing. I also noticed that he gets the ball out on time and the receivers are not waiting for it or having to slow up to make the timing work. I also noticed that not only is he accurate, but he has good ball placement which means that he is hitting receivers, including check downs to RBs, in stride so they can get YAC.

I suspect it's the way he gets the ball out on time and the fact that he puts the ball where he needs to for the receivers to get YAC that made Kubiak think he was the fit for this offense. That along with the arm and off schedule throws. Underhill said that Kubiak is excited to design a game plan around Rattler and seeing those things, I can see why.

I'm sure he will struggle some Sunday and he might not have a good game, but I see the vision for him in this offense and he is a perfect fit.

This is what his ceiling looks like... Remind you of anyone?

Two takeaways from that video that really charges me up. :happy0005:
One is Rattler's ability to hit a receiver in stride on those (very) long passes.
The other is Rattler's accuracy throwing the ball when he is in a full sprint.

Too many times a QB in a desperation situation heaves a pass in the vicinity of a receiver which often ends up becoming an impossible reach that leads to tipped passes and interceptions. Or worse yet the ball ends up being a 'hospital ball' when a receiver has to expose his body to a bone crushing hit by the defender in order to try and catch an off target pass.

In that video every throw he made while on the run was right on target and was put where the receiver could either continue running after the catch or easily protect himself while making the catch. Yes, I know who Rattler reminded me of in that game against Tennessee. But right now I'm drooling too much to even type his name.:exocet:

Color me surprised DA is making the switch to Rattler over Haener.

This o-line is a still subpar and patchwork, and Rattler will feel like he’s back at South Carolina. Still, his ability to turn nothing into something gives us a fighting chance. Shall be interesting indeed if wins follow, and then Carr becomes healthy again.

I did not realize how similar that South Carolina offense is to the Saints. Motion out of the backfield and all. This kid is going to hit the ground running. He’s perfectly equipped for the offense with the quick reads and quick outs. Then the accuracy to hit the deep guy. I’m not saying I don’t like Carr, but if this guy plays well, you can’t put Carr back in there. Let Rattler grow with the young weapons on the team.

This is a scenario we though may play out in order for Rattler to get his opportunity, so even though we know we may lose vs the Bucs on Sunday, seeing Rattler out there showcasing his skill will still make this potential loss more bearable to witness.

For those wondering why Haener isn’t getting the start instead… Haener is a reliever while Rattler is a starting pitcher. The dynamics involved are different.

Rattler's arm talent is closest to (and don't kill me for this) Jameis. The ability to make every throw is exceedingly rare even in the NFL. He also has good pocket awareness and seems to always know who his hot read is.

I’m not saying I don’t like Carr, but if this guy plays well, you can’t put Carr back in there. Let Rattler grow with the young weapons on the team.

When CDA announced Rattler as the starter in his presser yesterday he also said when Carr is healthy, he will be the starter when he returns.

If Rattler plays well or not in Carrs absence and then is relegated to the bench upon Carrs return, we'll all have an idea of what he can do in relief.

When CDA announced Rattler as the starter in his presser yesterday he also said when Carr is healthy, he will be the starter when he returns.

If Rattler plays well or not in Carrs absence and then is relegated to the bench upon Carrs return, we'll all have an idea of what he can do in relief.
Not saying it will happen, but he said pretty much the same about Jameis when Dalton came in.

Things change. If Rattler balls out and shows he’s at the same level as Carr, you have to roll with the rookie.

I did not realize how similar that South Carolina offense is to the Saints. Motion out of the backfield and all. This kid is going to hit the ground running. He’s perfectly equipped for the offense with the quick reads and quick outs. Then the accuracy to hit the deep guy. I’m not saying I don’t like Carr, but if this guy plays well, you can’t put Carr back in there. Let Rattler grow with the young weapons on the team.
Carr is getting paid $37.5 million a year. Spencer Rattler is getting paid $1.08 million a year.

Carr is going back in the second he can. It's a financial move.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom