Breaking! Spencer Rattler named starting QB ; Jay Glazer reports Rattler expected to start next 3-4 games (month) until Carr’s return (14 Viewers)

Rattlers NFL listed weight is the same as his combine weight at 211 whereas Haener's listed weight is a bit lower than his combine weight. Haener is listed at 200 on the official site and was listed at 195 at Fresno.

You missed my point about his arm talent which Haener doesn’t have. Not just arm strength, but the ability to make off-platform throws and throws on the move.

No, I didn't miss anything. I fully understand that Rattler has an exceptional strong arm. That in and of itself doesn't define arm talent as you and many others think.
Drew Brees never had the arm strength of Jamarcus Russell or Cam Newton, but the term arm talent was seldom used to describe the latter two.

Off platform throws are overrated to some degree. You seem to be giving credit before it happens to SR having the ability as the slowest QB on the Saints roster to make "off-platform" throws on the move that may be due to bailing out early on what's scripted. Reducing the window to one side of the playing field as a constant go to is not a high percentage probability. Plays are designed to succeed. Adlibbed street ball may work from time to time but if it worked more often than "on platform" throws, these types of plays would be in the playbook.

Caleb Williams was hailed as the next him for his ability to make "off-platform" throws and was chosen #1 in the 2024 NFL draft over JD5.

How's that working out so far?

Haener doesn’t have any excellent trait that helps him overcome the size. Rattler does.

How sure of that can you be when neither one of them has seen the field yet in a game when it mattered?

By most accounts, Haener has shown the kind of traits that are conducive to playing within the system; Ie, confidence within himself with a solid grasp of the system, making "on platform throws, getting the ball out quickly, accuracy on his passes with the ability to make all of the necessary throws, and so forth.

I'm not here to enter a Haener>Rattler or a Rattler>Haener debate. My 1st reply was to your post speaking on only one of the two being undersized.

We haven't seen enough of either yet to really know. And we still won't have seen enough in one week by just one of them playing.

This is simply not true.

Haener is not an overly accurate QB for someone whose arm strength isn’t great. If you’re going to be undersized at that position (Haener is barely 200 pounds), you better have some incredible gift that overcomes it. Rattler has that kind of arm talent. Haener does not.

Rattler has also shown a better ability to navigate a pocket when he’s under pressure, and get out and make big plays on the move.
1st I've seen the weight difference between JH and SR from 6-10 lbs , hardly a difference, and JH is an inch taller. JH has better anticipation. and foot work. Maybe you should go and re-watch last yr's Charger pre season game

No, I didn't miss anything. I fully understand that Rattler has an exceptional strong arm. That in and of itself doesn't define arm talent as you and many others think.
Drew Brees never had the arm strength of Jamarcus Russell or Cam Newton, but the term arm talent was seldom used to describe the latter two.

Off platform throws are overrated to some degree. You seem to be giving credit before it happens to SR having the ability as the slowest QB on the Saints roster to make "off-platform" throws on the move that may be due to bailing out early on what's scripted. Reducing the window to one side of the playing field as a constant go to is not a high percentage probability. Plays are designed to succeed. Adlibbed street ball may work from time to time but if it worked more often than "on platform" throws, these types of plays would be in the playbook.

Caleb Williams was hailed as the next him for his ability to make "off-platform" throws and was chosen #1 in the 2024 NFL draft over JD5.

How's that working out so far?

How sure of that can you be when neither one of them has seen the field yet in a game when it mattered?

By most accounts, Haener has shown the kind of traits that are conducive to playing within the system; Ie, confidence within himself with a solid grasp of the system, making "on platform throws, getting the ball out quickly, accuracy on his passes with the ability to make all of the necessary throws, and so forth.

I'm not here to enter a Haener>Rattler or a Rattler>Haener debate. My 1st reply was to your post speaking on only one of the two being undersized.

We haven't seen enough of either yet to really know. And we still won't have seen enough in one week by just one of them playing.
“Conducive to the system” such as…running the offense? Sure. Maybe. That’s what gets you a backup job.

The hope is that Rattler shows more than that.

1st I've seen the weight difference between JH and SR from 6-10 lbs , hardly a difference, and JH is an inch taller. JH has better anticipation. and foot work. Maybe you should go and re-watch last yr's Charger pre season game
Sorry, but Haener has not shown that he’s better than Rattler with any of those things.

“Conducive to the system” such as…running the offense? Sure. Maybe. That’s what gets you a backup job.

The hope is that Rattler shows more than that.
Shouldn't the "Hope" be that both young QBs "show more than that"?

And if neither one does is there something wrong with being a quality backup?

Shouldn't the "Hope" be that both young QBs "show more than that"?

And if neither one does is there something wrong with being a quality backup?
Yes. That would be the hope.

But from what we've seen so far, their floors are very similar. Potential backup.

But Rattler's ceiling is much higher.

So glad they are going with him and not Haener. Ive never saw anything promising with him. Just another version of Book.

Dont know what Rattler will do, but im glad the Saints didnt go with the Qb thats obviously not much good.
We Really have no Idea How good Haener is. Never saw him in full game with starters!

I think everyone knows what I think of Spencer at this point, so I’ll be more measured on my excitement about him getting the nod this week.

I do expect him to have some “welcome to the NFL” rookie moments this week. Nearly every QB has them in their first start. I don’t expect him to be the exception.

That said, this system fits him. The moment will not be too big for him. He is very talented. And I am willing to take the good with the bad with him because he has actual franchise QB goods. For him it will be a matter of decision making and if he can get the other guys to believe.

I think he can. That’s the part of this that has my head spinning with the future possibilities.

The last time I had this feeling was when Taysom got his shot, I and banged the table for him to get 10 or more touches a game, and I didn’t care how. The guys followed him. You could feel the intensity level of the team pick up when he played.

His Ceiling is a guy like CJ Stroud. And that’s not hyperbole. I’m freaking stoked!

Edit- Just FYI …. Speed and mobility are 2 different things when it comes to the QB position. After watching Drew for a decade and a half…. You’d think Saints fans would know the difference.
Man that one played Drew shake two or three Atlanta DB's out of their shoes and scored in the red zone was so sweet Brees had moves

Didn’t go through all the threads but if over the next few weeks Rattler shows out, the receivers kick it up several notches, we discover a kick arse TE we did agree that they’ll collectively be known as the Ratt Pack right?

Just what have we seen?
Honestly? That there doesn't appear to be anything special enough about Haener's abilities to warrant getting excited about.

Rattler appears to at least have the physical talent to be an NFL starter and that's exciting in and of itself just because it's something we never have on this team.

We Really have no Idea How good Haener is. Never saw him in full game with starters!
Im just gping by his preseeason footage. His delivery was not fluid and his passes are slow at arriving thier target. I just dont see his throws making it to a WR on a consistent basis before the defense can make a play on the ball or WR

I think everyone knows what I think of Spencer at this point, so I’ll be more measured on my excitement about him getting the nod this week.

I do expect him to have some “welcome to the NFL” rookie moments this week. Nearly every QB has them in their first start. I don’t expect him to be the exception.

That said, this system fits him. The moment will not be too big for him. He is very talented. And I am willing to take the good with the bad with him because he has actual franchise QB goods. For him it will be a matter of decision making and if he can get the other guys to believe.

I think he can. That’s the part of this that has my head spinning with the future possibilities.

The last time I had this feeling was when Taysom got his shot, I and banged the table for him to get 10 or more touches a game, and I didn’t care how. The guys followed him. You could feel the intensity level of the team pick up when he played.

His Ceiling is a guy like CJ Stroud. And that’s not hyperbole. I’m freaking stoked!

Edit- Just FYI …. Speed and mobility are 2 different things when it comes to the QB position. After watching Drew for a decade and a half…. You’d think Saints fans would know the difference.
Drew was elusive as hell in the pocket. His timing on a qb sneak was immaculate. Be it a TD or a conversion you knew it would be successful

Didn't Ian Book start a game during one of the covid years? That had to be his first (and only) start.
That was awful qb play that game. There were some writers giving him a Drew Brees comparison that year in camp.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom